Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 11:12 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times

Advertisements

Pasta. Rarely on a Southern table. Beef. You are more likely to see pork or chicken on a Southern menu. Dark beer. Can barely find dark beer in the South.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2012, 11:44 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
I was wondering this today. I moved from NY to ATL about a month ago and have been thinking about how the South has grits, collard greens (which I still don't know what they are), and all sorts of other weird foods. I can't think of anything up North that is native to that region besides real Italian food lol.

Anyone got anything?
I think of real Italian food as being native to NY but Chic as well. What is New England but not the south: How about Lobster for starters or fish and chips period? Certainly Boston Baked beans. How often do you expect to them even served in the south, much less real honest to goodness authetic? philly cheese sandwhiches, real ruben sandwhiches as well as Pastrumi (spelling) Also don't forget, coney dogs and Bagels with cream cheese and Lox, or any Jewish foods for that matter? There are so many foods, either associated with the NE or truely authenic that we could go on and on. Every region of the country has food we associate with the locale.

Old 09-16-2012, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elle Oh Elle View Post
Pies (especially classic Boston cream and apple), bagels, crabs, clam chowder, pizza...

Also, I'm not sure if this is just me but I've also noticed ribs seem to be more of a NE thing.
Ribs, like in bar b qued ribs? No, ribs are St Louis, Kansas City or even Texas but certainly not New England...

Old 09-16-2012, 11:59 AM

1,468 posts, read 2,152,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
You think they don't have pies in the south? Pies are huge down there, especially apple! I'll give you Boston Cream but pies in general would be one of the first things I would think of when it comes to southern comfort foods.
Even so, their types of pies are different. It only makes since that since the NE is the oldest part of our nation, they had pies first. Probably the most American thing would be an apple pie. Although I do recall studying in school that Louisiana's state food symbol was actually a meat pie. Same with Florida, they had a cream pie as well.

Old 09-16-2012, 12:02 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,152,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Ribs, like in bar b qued ribs? No, ribs are St Louis, Kansas City or even Texas but certainly not New England...
No? There seem to be a lot of restaurants in NE serving them. Some recipes I've found online show you how to make ribs NE-style. Maybe they were introduced from down south.

Old 09-16-2012, 03:26 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,025,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Pasta. Rarely on a Southern table. Beef. You are more likely to see pork or chicken on a Southern menu. Dark beer. Can barely find dark beer in the South.

Really? Which part of the south are you referring to?

Old 09-16-2012, 04:14 PM

1,097 posts, read 2,046,809 times
A part of my family were very longstanding New Englanders [think 1600's]. They ate few "ethnic" foods like that spaghetti stuff :+) They actually ate stuff we think of as Brit - like lots of lamb, shad in the spring, organ meat & tongue, mincemeat pie[as well as rhubarb], roast beef with popovers. They baked steamed brown bread in a mold. They ate very seasonally - couldn't wait for spring asparagus !; & locally - clams, lobster, cranberries, blueberries, apples, squash, corn.

I think seasonal & local greatly influenced what I associate with "the maiden aunts" - - - my parents' generation had a lot more to choose from throughout the year.

Old 09-16-2012, 06:51 PM

3,073 posts, read 8,025,234 times
Quote:
Even so, their types of pies are different. It only makes since that since the NE is the oldest part of our nation, they had pies first. Probably the most American thing would be an apple pie. Although I do recall studying in school that Louisiana's state food symbol was actually a meat pie. Same with Florida, they had a cream pie as well.
The Natchitoches Meat Pie is a folded over piece of dough which looks like a tart or a pita bread stuffed with meat spiced up just so. I don't exactly know what's in it. It is deep fried.

Old 09-16-2012, 06:53 PM

Quote:
No? There seem to be a lot of restaurants in NE serving them. Some recipes I've found online show you how to make ribs NE-style. Maybe they were introduced from down south.
There are a lot of restaurants in Atlanta that serve Lobster and Lox and Bagels, but that is not where they started or what we think of, when we think of the south. Absolutely in no way can one connect the New England region with ribs;;;

Old 09-16-2012, 07:19 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
I think the North has plenty of it's own regional foods. New England of course has many, as do the larger cities of the North. There's also the rural Midwest. Everything from Clam chowder, Maine lobster, Haddock pie, Whoopee pie, pretzels, knish, hot dogs, hamburgers, Chicago deep dish pizza, Philly cheese steak, lutefisk in Minnesota, how can you say the North doesn't have regional foods?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink