Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 11:12 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,081,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I'm noticing that a lot of people are simply listing ethnic foods, while it seems that the OP was looking for more American regional dishes.
maybe so many are listing Ethnic because many of us do associate certain regaion with ethnic foods, like NYC, Jewish and Italian: Chic: Italian: New England with UK types of cuisine, SW and Ca mexican or Latin: Miami, Cuban, etc. I just think some are interprettin this entire thread differently than others. I will say it is really interesting and informative plus fun, to see how people feel about certain cuisines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 11:40 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,245,372 times
I understand that, but ethnic and regional dishes aren't the same thing. That's all I'm saying. I'm not seeing how the OP could've been interpreted more than one way. He was pretty clear by what he meant, with the key word in his post being "native".

Old 09-18-2012, 12:18 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,140,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I think some of us are interpreting the question differently than others: For example: I have traveled throughout the USA and certainly spent years traveling the southern coast as well as living in the DC area for 7 years: I never indicated or said, shellfish isn't available in the south, heck you can get it in Colorado for that matter, the question, as I saw it was: what foods do you associate with certain regions? This has little to do with what is available in certain regions. It like saying wine is only available in the valleys of CA cause many of us associate CA (Sonoma, Napa, etc) with wine. I am going to be in that region starting Thurs for 4 days. I bet I can even find Lobster and I bet you can find CA wine in the south....
Yeah, I'm kinda confused now. It's more well-known in one area over another. Doesn't mean it originated from that same area, BUT most of the time it did.

I think they do sell CA wine in the south. If not, there's always Amazon.

Old 09-23-2012, 10:26 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,517,382 times
Well, since I'm a Canadian the North really has a different meaning here. They also eat some weird stuff up there. I guess that elk and cariboo is pretty normal vittles anywhere but walrus, whale, seal and the raw blubber of any of them is pretty far out I think. My son lived on Baffin island for a year and the people up there live about 80% off what they can hunt themselves. They also eat seaweeds of different types, weird arctic fruits and berries, muskoxen and polar bear.
Nunavut is a new Canadian territory of around 40,000 people. It's offical language is Inuktuk and it is 7.5 times the size of Texas. They try as much as possible to live on their traditional food sources.

Old 09-23-2012, 10:59 PM

3,663 posts, read 8,633,084 times
We have hot dish, lefse, herring, a lot of scandinavian foods.

Old 09-23-2012, 11:11 PM
NCN

21,656 posts, read 25,488,059 times
I told a friend about our trip to Vermont and how we had trouble finding any good food to eat. She started mentioning all kinds of seafood that we have never had and probably would never touch. I had not eaten in McDonald's in ages but on this trip McDonald's became our favorite place to eat. All those taxes people up north pay really adds to the cost of everything. It was an experience I would not have wanted to miss, but as a friend of ours said, "I have seen it now and have no desire to go back."

Well, I am a little different than that. I am always ready to go anywhere I have never been before, but I really learned to appreciate the fast food salads.

Old 09-24-2012, 04:05 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,766,528 times
Lutefisk

Old 09-24-2012, 09:22 PM

24,606 posts, read 55,756,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I'm noticing that a lot of people are simply listing ethnic foods, while it seems that the OP was looking for more American regional dishes.
Often there's overlap. The ethnic cuisine was 'Americanized' or new dishes, uniquely American, were created as a fusion of different cuisines. Hot dogs and chop suey come to mind. Chop suey and California rolls are examples of regional cuisines of the Western United States that are as American as Apple Pie.

Old 09-24-2012, 10:43 PM

67,667 posts, read 60,168,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyDee View Post
Vermont maple syrup, pease porridge, hasty pudding, grinders, salt-water taffy, quahogs, Coney Island hot dogs... I haven't stopped thinking of food since I first read this thread.
"What are these strange foods of which you speak?"

Old 09-24-2012, 10:45 PM

67,667 posts, read 60,168,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Hafta look harder. Jax, the dark lager originally brewed in Jacksonville, then moved to New Orleans, once was one of the most popular beers in the south. And Shiner Bock, a dark lager brewed for more than 100 years in Shiner, Texas, near Houston is very popular in the south. And these days, if I'm in Louisiana eating jambalaya I'll reach for an Abita Turbodog every time.
Abita Beer -- WOOHOOOOOO!!! And go, Shiner Bock!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink