Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 09:49 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I don't know if I associate pinto beans with the south as much as the southwest, but you are right about Black Eyed Peas and boiled peanuts...smart not to try them, I will add. I did once, and that was one time too many!!!! Chicken fried steak is something I think of more in the south than elsewhere, but I think it is gaining in popularity throughout the country and catfish for sure is southern..or assoicated with states like MO which tech isn't south..
Don't be dissin' the boiled peanuts. Did you eat them COLD by any chance?

They are supposed to be served up piping hot and in a paper bag!

I can't decide if I like the plain or the Cajun spiced ones the best...

Whatever you do, don't buy the ones in a can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2012, 10:06 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Don't be dissin' the boiled peanuts. Did you eat them COLD by any chance?

They are supposed to be served up piping hot and in a paper bag!

I can't decide if I like the plain or the Cajun spiced ones the best...

Whatever you do, don't buy the ones in a can.
yep, on our way to VA we stopped by Mississippi and spent the night. This was many years ago, they were cold and they were bad, or I think they were cold, regradlss they were bad....

Old 09-25-2012, 11:18 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
yep, on our way to VA we stopped by Mississippi and spent the night. This was many years ago, they were cold and they were bad, or I think they were cold, regradlss they were bad....

It is an acquired taste ... one that I have never acquired. I do not really like them.

A few years back, I purchased a 25# bag of EXTRA FANCY Virginia Peanuts in the shell and raw. I would roast those at 350F for 26 minutes and they were to die for.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:35 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Correct way to eat boiled peanuts:

1. Buy them from some old guy with a stand on the side of the road - make sure he is boiling them there in a big pot and make sure he sells them in brown paper bags fresh out of the brew!

2. Decide between regular and Cajun flavor. Both are good, but Cajun can be very spicy - don't want to burn your lips off!

3. Put entire nut - shell and all - in your mouth.

4. "Pop" the shell open with your teeth - it should pop open easily, giving you a nice little warm squirt of salty, nutty water in your mouth!

5. Munch down on the two or three nut kernels inside the shell. They should not be soft - they should be firmer than beans but should also not be hard.

6. Spit shells out the car window, or in the second paper bag (a good vendor will give you an extra bag for shells!) Or you could just use that 44 oz Sonic cup that's laying on your floorboard.

7. Repeat till full as a tick.

Larrapin'!

Old 09-25-2012, 04:13 PM

1,097 posts, read 2,046,581 times
Since NJ is where a lot of family wound up - I'll stick to 1 state :+) --- you can get this stuff anywhere now I guess, but leaving out some great "ethnic stuff" - a "Jersey" meal for me would be striped bass, jersey tomatoes, jersey blueberry muffins, jersey sweet corn -- & hey, why not? saltwater taffy.

But I can't leave out the "ethnic" stuff, mostly Italian - Subs, hoagies, grinders [whatever]; pizza - the best; sausage & peppers. No way you can go down the shore/to the beach, near a boardwalk area without being tempted by the smells!

NJ isn't a region - its "mid-atlantic" so if I throw in PA, DE, MD - crab cakes, cheese steaks, soft pretzels.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:36 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,810,953 times
Grits
Chitterlings
Tripe
Real fried chicken
Sweet tea
Boiled peanuts

Old 09-26-2012, 08:01 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj185 View Post
Since NJ is where a lot of family wound up - I'll stick to 1 state :+) --- you can get this stuff anywhere now I guess, but leaving out some great "ethnic stuff" - a "Jersey" meal for me would be striped bass, jersey tomatoes, jersey blueberry muffins, jersey sweet corn -- & hey, why not? saltwater taffy.

But I can't leave out the "ethnic" stuff, mostly Italian - Subs, hoagies, grinders [whatever]; pizza - the best; sausage & peppers. No way you can go down the shore/to the beach, near a boardwalk area without being tempted by the smells!

NJ isn't a region - its "mid-atlantic" so if I throw in PA, DE, MD - crab cakes, cheese steaks, soft pretzels.
love all 3 of them...yum, yum

Old 10-02-2012, 10:59 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,900,631 times
This thread had me laughing, with people stating what foods were "on every street corner" where they live etc., but living there, no, I never saw any such thing.

The one thing I just cannot stand about the foods here in the northeast where I live now, is the obsession with Italian foods and pasta, I don't think anyone could argue with that. Growing up in a more southern state, we rarely ate pasta. I vacationed once in Italy and nearly starved to death. What I DO love about the northeast, and didn't often get in the south, is seafood. A steamed lobster with butter is absolutely the best seafood dish ever.

As pointed out, I think a lot of it is ethnic, and/or a person's family background, too. A lot of people have ancestors from various countries, so what they commonly ate might not have been what their neighbors next door did. So while you'll have some more common dishes in a regional area, maybe that dish was rarely eaten by others that preferred something else, which could explain why people are having so many disagreements over this subject.

Old 10-02-2012, 03:07 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,810,783 times
How about rhubarb? I think that is quite "Yankee"!

Old 10-02-2012, 08:37 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,343,911 times
Pork roll & cheese sandwich (with or without egg), on a hard roll. Yummmmm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink