Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 06:05 PM

777 posts, read 1,332,174 times

Advertisements

I like my meat so well done, there is zero pink, and no juices, whatsoever. With that said, I only eat beef a few times a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2012, 08:12 PM

507 posts, read 512,856 times
I prefer that my red meat be medium well

Old 09-23-2012, 08:26 PM

2,218 posts, read 3,440,844 times
I rarely eat beef but once in a while I love a good NY strip steak cooked med-rare to rare. Still pretty red but not cold in the middle. To me, there is no taste quite like it. I also like pretty rare roast prime rib. I eat beef maybe once every several months so how bad can it be? Makes me want some now, havent had any since June! This week, for sure.

Old 09-23-2012, 09:22 PM

22,601 posts, read 24,418,850 times
I make sure and cook pork well-done......don't want worms on the brain.

Old 09-23-2012, 11:08 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,305,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
I follow Mario Battali's lead on this one... most pork in the US is vastly overcooked.

There has been no real danger from USDA inspected pork in many decades, and it is perfectly safe to serve pork which is still pink in the middle today, at which point it is more juicy and flavorful than a lot of folks realize. Matter of fact even the US Government food safety table shows that fresh pork and fresh ham only needs to reach 145 F for 3 minutes to be safe to eat, rather than the 160 F that seems to be engraved on many many home cooks' minds.

And in fact virtually the only reported cases of trichinosis in the US for many years have been from consuming wild animals or "illegal" meats from other countries.

Old 09-23-2012, 11:47 PM

22,601 posts, read 24,418,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
I follow Mario Battali's lead on this one... most pork in the US is vastly overcooked.

There has been no real danger from USDA inspected pork in many decades, and it is perfectly safe to serve pork which is still pink in the middle today, at which point it is more juicy and flavorful than a lot of folks realize. Matter of fact even the US Government food safety table shows that fresh pork and fresh ham only needs to reach 145 F for 3 minutes to be safe to eat, rather than the 160 F that seems to be engraved on many many home cooks' minds.

And in fact virtually the only reported cases of trichinosis in the US for many years have been from consuming wild animals or "illegal" meats from other countries.

Neurocysticercosis is rare in the USA, but it DOES happen. I have no desire to take chances, my brain already has quite a Dummyosity factor.

Old 09-24-2012, 12:29 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,305,646 times
Quote:
Neurocysticercosis is rare in the USA, but it DOES happen. I have no desire to take chances, my brain already has quite a Dummyosity factor.
Apparently, because here's what the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) has to say about it... "Cysticercosis is not acquired by eating undercooked pork." Instead it is acquired from people who are infected with the disease.

CDC - Cysticercosis

Since this is the Food & Drink Forum, could we please stick to the Food & Drink topic and leave the scary Halloween stories for the Health and Wellness forum?

Old 09-24-2012, 12:31 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,270,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
I stopped eating red meat at restaurants, hamburgers or steaks.
I would order well done, and had to send it back once or twice, which caused the rest of my food to get cold and the others at the table to go on eating.
When I order well done, they seem to turn the heat up and burn it outside and not cooked inside.

I travelled with a group and we all ate at the same restaurant. I saw rares, mediums, medium rares, etc.
I also saw forks being stuck into these thick pieces of meat and animal blood pop out.
I do not call that a juicy steak.

I buy my own meat and if it is not thin sliced, I use a knife to cut it into thin slices, so it is the real definition of well done.

I tried asking for "barely burned" trying to get well done at restaurants, and it did not work. I still had to send it back.

What do you prefer, and why. Be honest. No vampire jokes.

Why do human beings crave juicy red meat that is nothing but a pool of blood on the plate?
Frist of all, you can certainly, in almost any restaurant get well done red meat: order ground sirloin, even prime rib and other cuts,but think meats are much harder to cook well done and have them still tender. It depends on the thickness and the cut of meat how it tastes best.. One of the problems you are having is with your tastes, not the tastes and choices of others. Meats with litle fat will always be tough when overcooked. Most of us like our meats moist;;;Does that help you at all? For me, I like it rare to med rare. Last night I ordered a steak med rare, it was good but I am sorry I didn't order it rare.

Old 09-24-2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:
that is from days way back, not even pork is as good well done as a little less. In fact it too, should be slightly pink...it is much more moist...About the only meat we always have not pink at all is chicken..Even that can be ruined if overcooked...

Nita

Old 09-24-2012, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFoulke View Post
Well done for me. I am totally grossed out by red, warm, excessively chewy meat that appears to be bleeding all over my plate. Makes me gag just to think about it - I want it cooked, dammit!!!!
If you think rare meat is more chewey than well done, you are ordering the wrong kind of beef. A good steak is more tender if it is not overcooked.

Oh and for anyone who thinks the rare meat is a meat snobbery thing, this simply isn't true: i think if you get a strange look from a waitperson when ordering steak (think steak) well done, it is simply their thinking you are ruining a great piece of meat, because it is not the normal way to eat a steak..That being said, if someone really wants thier Top sirloin or felit well done, no one should give them a hardtime...our tastes are very subjective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink