Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 06:07 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,834,641 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know where i might be able to find GOOD WHITE BREAD without all this stupid crap they now put in it??

I have noticed that bread isnt like it used to be,ITS NOT AS SOFT.... And i wondered if they now loaded it up with preservites and other garbage that didnt used to be in it.....

I decided to do a test with a loaf of white bread i have that I didnt like (Not soft,isnt good) and let it sit and see what happens.

RIGHT NOW IT IS 4 MONTHS PAST THE EXPIRATION DATE AND THERE IS NO MOLD ON IT!!!! -- Its a little bit stiffer but NO MOLD!!!

Absolutely disgusting and proves my point..... EVERYTHING IS TURNING TO PURE GARBAGE AND ITS SICKENING!!!!!

So my question to you guys is: DO YOU KNOW WHERE I MIGHT BE ABLE TO GET SOME WHITE BREAD W/O THIS CRAP IN IT?? (For good soft toast)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2012, 06:13 AM

305 posts, read 553,423 times
That is really funny. Where do you live? I bake my own bread.

Old 09-22-2012, 06:18 AM

Its pathetically funny yes!! (Its sad is what it is.... WE CANT GET AWAY FROM THE CRAP THEY ARE FORCING ON US)

Old 09-22-2012, 06:18 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Where I live I have 2 choices if I don't want to buy what is at the market. I can make my own which I am not very good at or I can go to the German colonies and purchase what they sell there but that is a 25 mile drive for me.

My best advice is to read the labels on each package and choose the one you feel is going to be the best for what you want.

Old 09-22-2012, 06:20 AM

Yup i always do that!!! (Read the labels on EVERYTHING (Ya gotta do that nowadays))

Old 09-22-2012, 06:23 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,389,075 times
I like to make my own. Then I know exactly what is going in it. You can bake a few loaves at one time and freeze them. I like to do it the old fashioned way and knead by hand. You might want to look into buying a bread machine. It does all the work for you. There's nothing quite like fresh baked bread.

Old 09-22-2012, 07:18 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,354,404 times
I say get a bread machine.

Old 09-22-2012, 07:30 AM

2,275 posts, read 6,307,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Its pathetically funny yes!! (Its sad is what it is.... WE CANT GET AWAY FROM THE CRAP THEY ARE FORCING ON US)
No one's forcing you to eat bread full of preservatives.

If you're not interested in making your own, do you have a Whole Foods near you? They have an in-store bakery, and produce some really delicious breads. However, there's nothing like the smell of bread baking in your oven at home.

Making your own is really easy, especially if you have a stand mixer. (I used to have a bread machine, but gave it away several years ago.) I've been making my own sourdough bread every week for about two years now. If you're not familiar with making it, it may seem like it takes forever, but it really doesn't. There's only about 10 minutes of actual hands-on time, and the rest is waiting for the dough to rise.

Instant yeast (this kind, NOT the packets you buy in the store) is your friend, and makes it so easy. The King Arthur Flour website is loaded with great recipes. They also have an 800-number you can call for assistance, and they have help by email, too. (I've used the email help on more than one occasion, and they've always answered very quickly.)

Old 09-22-2012, 10:07 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,683,376 times
Common logic & simple sense.
Don't like what others put into your food or anything for the matter...
MAKE / PRODUCE THEM "YOURSELF".

One really shouldn't complain (even about lack of time; I just tell my DD, just don't sleep if thats the case) if one is either too lazy (for the efforts) or don't have enough money (pay someone to do it = pay to get what you want the way you want it) to have it one's way.

Old 09-22-2012, 10:30 AM

2,275 posts, read 6,307,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyeats View Post
One really shouldn't complain (even about lack of time; I just tell my DD, just don't sleep if thats the case) if one is either too lazy (for the efforts) or don't have enough money (pay someone to do it = pay to get what you want the way you want it) to have it one's way.
This is true!

Too much time? Nope! It takes very little hands-on time. I frequently make bread in the middle of the week, after I get home from work.

Too much effort? Nope! Throw everything in the mixing bowl, let the mixer do the kneading. While it's kneading, I clean up. 10 minutes, tops. After it rises for about 90 minutes, I shape them into loaves for the second rising. Takes about 2 minutes.

Too much money? Nope! It's actually cheaper for me to make my own bread than it is to buy it. If you don't have or don't want to spend the money on a stand mixer or bread machine, you can knead by hand. That only adds a few more minutes to the time spent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink