Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 11:54 AM

1,566 posts, read 2,159,011 times

Advertisements

I love the brand Sapporo Ichiban, found in Asian markets. Original flavor is my favorite, but chicken, beef and shrimp are all good as well. I won't buy the supermarket ramen (Nissan) but as someone else posted, the asian markets have some great ramen. I only do 1/3 package of seasoning (if that) as well and I also load it up with lots of extras: small shrimp, green onions, baby bok choy, chinese broccoli, shredded carrots, bamboo shoots and water chestnuts. I also love to add a squeeze of lime juice, fresh basil and bean sprouts. I've also been known to throw some mini won-tons or dumplings in as well. Lastly, a healthy squirt of Sriracha. I guess it's pretty much the kitchen sink ramen. YUM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2012, 12:58 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
... this seems to be a very informative site:

THE RAMEN RATER | Reviewing Instant Noodles Since 2002

The site lets you filter those reviews by price range, stars, and brand. You can also check out his top 10 lists (spiciest, instant noodle bowls, weirdest, and overall).

However - always read the nutrition label. Some are very high in sodium. You can eliminate a part of the high amount of sodium by using less of the soup powder and substituting it with fresh veggies and other adds-in.

Ramen noodle also taste fabulous when fried in a pan. I really like Asian noodle!

Enjoy
I rarely use them, but have a couple recipes that I love: one is a side dish, using the noodles but not the sodium. Instead I use soy sause, cillantro, ginger, etc..It is sooooo goooood. The other is a salad, again, I either don't use the packette or I use about 1/2 of it in the dressing plus it has lots of other things so it isn't as much sodium per serving. Let's face it though, most of us really do like things like Ramens cause we crave the salt...

Old 09-24-2012, 03:46 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times
In Hawai'i the local variation on ramen called saimin (pronounced like simon) is so popular that you can find the fresh noodles in every supermarket, in a refrigerator case, usually near the produce. And often there's a choice of several kinds. It is soooooo much better than the dried packages.

Old 09-24-2012, 03:53 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,813,341 times
During the week-long power outage after hurricane Ike we ate ramen noodles almost every day. It took me a few years before I could eat it again, but I like it once or twice a year.

I made this recipe once and it wasn't horrible--

Ramen Noodle Casserole Recipe - Food.com - 241498

I have never made it again, though.

I would like to try some authentic Asian ramen. I love noodles!

Old 09-25-2012, 08:49 AM

849 posts, read 1,952,845 times
I'm Japanese, so , of course I love ramen! In Phoenix area there were several places that served real ramen, but now I'm in much smaller city in Colorado, I'm out of luck! There aren't even decent Asian market here. You can find pretty decent ramen in freezer section of Asian market, so next time I visit Phoenix (or any other larger city) I'm going to stock up on some!

Old 09-25-2012, 09:13 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,197,191 times
I love good ramen/la mian and have noticed it is becoming more common in local restaurants, not only Japanese but in Korean and Taiwanese places.

I still eat the cheapo dried ramen regularly though, I love it because it is cheapo, has a good shelf life, and is such a flexible base. Green onions, an egg either stirred in or fried in the pan first then rolled and sliced, mushrooms, shallots, soy sauce, maggi, five spice, lime juice, chile paste, sesame oil, shrimp, leftover chicken, heck even ham or sliced hot dogs there is just so much stuff you can toss in there so without any planning almost always have stuff in the fridge that I can slap together to make a fairly rich delicious meal in a bowl with a package of dried ramen.

Also good breakfast = ramen noodles cooked and drained with a fried egg on top.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink