Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 07:16 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,029,371 times

Advertisements

No harm done. If you don't frequent the About the Forum section (I don't either), then how could you know? Pet food recalls, on the Dogs forum are often just posted as a link. It's a public service announcement that requires no commentary, as far as I'm concerned.

Speaking of such recalls, I'm thrilled that these are posted. There was a terrible salmonella issue with my dog's kibble and, as it turned out, he had started eating out of a bag that was among those that were infected. (Someone had posted a link detailing the bar codes to look out for, and another link explaining what had to be done to get your money back from the company. And yet another link to say that the food was back to good again.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2012, 07:38 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
No harm done. If you don't frequent the About the Forum section (I don't either), then how could you know?
It has long been considered poor netiquette to just post a link with no accompanying text. For one thing, that's the hallmark of a spammer, and a lot of people will not open a bare link posted like that.

The conversations in the Admin section simply highlighted the fact that many consider it a rude practice, and that sometimes mods will delete posts like that when they see them.

I wasn't harsh about it. I didn't throw tomahtoes. I just made a suggestion.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:46 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,029,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
It has long been considered poor netiquette to just post a link with no accompanying text. For one thing, that's the hallmark of a spammer, and a lot of people will not open a bare link posted like that.

The conversations in the Admin section simply highlighted the fact that many consider it a rude practice, and that sometimes mods will delete posts like that when they see them.

I wasn't harsh about it. I didn't throw tomahtoes. I just made a suggestion.
It's all good. I've been on the Interwebz since the beginning of time (yep, I feel that old) and I really didn't know that. (That's probably because I rarely shut up. I'm a talker. I chat. I write very, very, very long stories. Yap, yap, yap. Always something to say. Yup, that's me.) So I learned something today. Thanks for that.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:55 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
I'm not really that scared about it, but someone demanded that I make an additional comment.
LOL!

I think the link itself sufficed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
It's all good. I've been on the Interwebz since the beginning of time (yep, I feel that old) and I really didn't know that.
Nor did I. Must be one of those new "rules" someone made up so s/he didn't have to go to the trouble of actually reading the link ... And then it spread like wildfire.

But back to peanut butter. Keep in mind the recall is just for one specific type of Trader Joe's peanut butter.

Just thought I'd quell any panic that may have ensued.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:02 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,255,561 times
I just bought this very peanut butter last week. Saw the warning on Google News page. I appreciate recall notices.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:36 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
I will add just one more thing: I am not saying people should not be aware of recalls or should blow them all off, I am simply saying too many people read to much into these recalls...the same as the studies that tell us how bad this or that is for us...Usually the story goes a little deeper. With the computer age, comes a lot of information that is posted more for shock purposes than anything. Some people just the gun when they read these. That is how I saw the peanut butter recall. No one has really had any problem with it, T Joes' did the right thing and we can all be happy about it.

Nita

Old 09-25-2012, 03:02 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Must be one of those new "rules" someone made up so s/he didn't have to go to the trouble of actually reading the link ...
No, it's actually a very old guideline, and it's not only a matter of politeness, it relates to one of the axiomatic warnings about using the web: Don't just open every internet link!

As I said earlier, it is a hallmark of spammers to post a link without any text. And many of the current phishing schemes and malware spreads are facilitated by the criminals posting innocuous looking links. I've intercepted a half a dozen of these from friends on Facebook, before those friends even knew their accounts had been hacked, simply by observing that what had been posted was 1) just a link with no message, or 2) had a text that sounded bogus.

So by adding a little bit of text about why you're posting a link, or why you think people should read it helps to 1) validate that it is a trustworthy link, and 2) helps people to decide whether it's worth their time to open it.

Old 10-02-2012, 07:26 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,615,476 times
This recall has expanded (I think it is related).

US peanut butter recall expands to more stores including Whole Foods, Target - CBS News

Old 10-02-2012, 09:03 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,973,504 times
I think both trader joes and whole foods should be quite embarrassed about this given the image they try to put forth about themselves.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:07 AM

15,143 posts, read 27,781,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
You should post in the food section (or shopping?) so it's seen - it's not NC specific
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink