Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 06:20 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,826,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by debzkidz View Post
Wow, in no way does this sound appetizing. I'm sure if you grew up eating it, it's good, but for those of us who have never experienced it, I can't think of anything that would make me want to try it.
Iwonder if it's the Aussie version of pickled pig's feet. Just kidding, I've tried it and Marmite and I found it to be like the other poster. Salty boullion flavered paste.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2012, 04:33 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,860,696 times
I buy vegemite at World Market here in the U.S. or get my Mum to bring PLENTY of Vegemite & Promite whenever she comes to visit.

I'm pregnant right now and I swear Vegemite is my #1 craving (although I loved it before getting preggers too)- I definitely couldn't survive 5 days without it right now! Thank goodness for World Market!

Old 12-30-2012, 11:11 PM

3,187 posts, read 4,585,631 times
I don't like Vegemite at all...it looks like it's been sourced from car engines and doesn't taste or smell much better either.

Old 12-31-2012, 03:29 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,269,210 times
If you cant find Vegemite or Marmite in a pinch Chinese Oyster Sauce has a similar enough taste to placate that need for salty yeasty flavoring, i usually refer to it as Chinese Marmite, usually comes in bottles and can be found in the Asian section of most supermarkets.....

Last edited by jambo101; 12-31-2012 at 04:42 AM..

Old 12-31-2012, 04:26 AM

61,629 posts, read 86,981,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
I buy vegemite at World Market here in the U.S. or get my Mum to bring PLENTY of Vegemite & Promite whenever she comes to visit.

I'm pregnant right now and I swear Vegemite is my #1 craving (although I loved it before getting preggers too)- I definitely couldn't survive 5 days without it right now! Thank goodness for World Market!
I agree. No problem with Vegemite in the US. At least where I live. World Market has it, local grocery store ( International section). I use it on daily basis as a Vit. B drink for many years now. Not only very healthy but taste great too...

Old 12-31-2012, 04:14 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,752,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
This thread reminds me of Men at Work.

I remember an interview the leadsinger did and he of course had to respond to a Vegemite question. He said all Austrailan children have it added to the nipples on their baby bottles, and without the early conditioning it's apparently impossible to eat.

It doesn't sound good, that's for sure. The above comments about "toejam of the gods" is not selling me on the stuff at all...

Old 01-01-2013, 09:48 AM

1,084 posts, read 2,476,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
I remember an interview the leadsinger did and he of course had to respond to a Vegemite question. He said all Austrailan children have it added to the nipples on their baby bottles, and without the early conditioning it's apparently impossible to eat.

It doesn't sound good, that's for sure. The above comments about "toejam of the gods" is not selling me on the stuff at all...
Yeah, I guess it is an odd attempt to be funny...

I tried it once when I was in 7th grade (in North Carolina). My school was by the military base, so a kid had his Aussie mom come in and talk about her country. She passed out bits of bread with it on it. She only spread a small bit on the bread, so I can only remember it being very salty and having a nutty smell.

I would buy some to try it again (since that was 10+ years ago), but it is around 6-8 dollars, and I am weary on spending so much on something that I may not like.

Old 01-01-2013, 08:35 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,987,260 times
nope. I don't think I'd ever eat this stuff.

I don't care how healthy it may be, there's no way on God's green Earth am I going to eat this stuff. Just EW.

Old 01-01-2013, 10:24 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,538,654 times
It's mostly just salty. Like, soy sauce-salty, to me. I like salt as much as the next person, probably more, but Vegemite doesn't do much for me.

Old 01-02-2013, 04:34 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,787,328 times
I spent 3 months in Oz once and we bought one small jar of it and I was the only one who would eat it--Aussie style of course with bread and real butter. It's not bad. . . but not that good either. I beg to differ about marshmallow fluff being the toejam of the gods here though--it's actually peanut butter and the Aussies think we're crazy, lol, but everyone knows that peanut butter tastes way better. OP, where are you that you're missing your vitamindevigemat?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink