Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 11:00 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
My smile for the day, but don't tell the people who did the study at Tulane, they may not think you are so funny, but I bet Gioda, Guy, Bobby and Ina would smile!!!!

That might have been the case in the old days when all of the seafood was sourced from the Northern Hemisphere. But I question the validity when a good portion comes from around thej world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2012, 11:20 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,969,250 times
I was born in the West. My father and I visited an old friend of his who was a rancher. The guy segregated the cattle that he and his family ate from the rest of the herd, that was sold for public consumption. He was aware that the cattle feed for the public herd contained things that he considered harmful, but explained that it was the only way that he could remain competitive.

Look, we all have to eat something. It's just that we should not be in denial, to my way of thinking. Look at all the food scandals that occur with food imported from China. How much don't we catch? Why do we only catch these things after people become ill?

We don't want our food to become comparable to that of China, either. It's important that we remain aware and not just bury our heads in the sand.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:32 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,123,920 times
A few comments off the top of my head:

- LOVE Diner's Drive-ins, & Dives. The food looks sooo good. (But I also know that everything that's LOOKS good doesn't necessarily taste good. And, that the "diners" on the show that RAVE about the place are hand picked, and friends and family, etc.

- While I love the FOOD the the 'down home' food Paula deen makes, I don't watch here show, because I'm not that into HER.

- Don't watch any of the NEW Food Network stars' shows.

- LOVE America's Test Kitchen and Cook's Country, although I DO think they complicate a recipe WAAAY too much. They're like the Martha Stewart of food. I mean, does a cookie or brownie need to have ten steps? Does simple BAKED CHICKEN need to have a dozen steps. To be fair maybe foods have that many steps and because I dod it all the time I don't break every. single. step. into some major deal....but darn if they don't tire me out just baking a simple sugar cookie. Let's not even get into a pot roast.

- LOVE Jacques Pepin, Julia Child
These are OK:
- Bobby Flay -- depending on the setting and the show
- Chopped -- I don't watch it much. How those chefs make food out of some of those CRAZY combinations is amazing.
- Sweet Genius, Cupcake Wars, the specialty baking "Challenge shows"
- Barefoot Contessa, The Neeleys (but again, I don't watch much at all)
- Not into Giada DeLaurentis.
- I know people panned her unreal - but the little i saw of Sandra Lee (Semi Homeade) I liked.
- Was glued to Top Chef the first three seasons. Now I'm over it. Have seen part of Top Chef: Just Desserts maybe twice.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:50 AM

1,882 posts, read 4,618,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I was born in the West. My father and I visited an old friend of his who was a rancher. The guy segregated the cattle that he and his family ate from the rest of the herd, that was sold for public consumption. He was aware that the cattle feed for the public herd contained things that he considered harmful, but explained that it was the only way that he could remain competitive.

Look, we all have to eat something. It's just that we should not be in denial, to my way of thinking. Look at all the food scandals that occur with food imported from China. How much don't we catch? Why do we only catch these things after people become ill?

We don't want our food to become comparable to that of China, either. It's important that we remain aware and not just bury our heads in the sand.
I'm in cattle country, have been all my life, I have NEVER heard of anyone else doing this. Sorry but I find it hard to even believe. We raise livestock, always have, NEVER would we do something like this! If anything we keep the slackers/culls for ourselves. Just the opposite of what you are say'n.

Your father's "old friend" is in the minority for sure.
Nice way to bash your dads friends business, GG. lol

Old 10-11-2012, 03:23 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,025,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
A few comments off the top of my head:

- LOVE Diner's Drive-ins, & Dives. The food looks sooo good. (But I also know that everything that's LOOKS good doesn't necessarily taste good. And, that the "diners" on the show that RAVE about the place are hand picked, and friends and family, etc.
I used to wonder about that too until they went to my favorite pizza/pasta/seafood joint in East Boston. I don't know how they found out about it, but the food is actually BETTER than it looked on TV.

Diners, Drive-ins and Dives: Italian Express Pizzeria - YouTube

Old 10-12-2012, 04:28 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I used to wonder about that too until they went to my favorite pizza/pasta/seafood joint in East Boston. I don't know how they found out about it, but the food is actually BETTER than it looked on TV.

Diners, Drive-ins and Dives: Italian Express Pizzeria - YouTube
I love watching Guy eat some of those sandwhiches, but I think I would get sick if I even ate 1/2 of one and I can really put the food down, considering I am at an age where my appitite is supposed to be small.

Old 10-13-2012, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Cave Man View Post
I'm in cattle country, have been all my life, I have NEVER heard of anyone else doing this. Sorry but I find it hard to even believe. We raise livestock, always have, NEVER would we do something like this! If anything we keep the slackers/culls for ourselves. Just the opposite of what you are say'n.

Your father's "old friend" is in the minority for sure.
Nice way to bash your dads friends business, GG. lol
Well, it is my one and only experience with a cattleman.
It's the truth. I wish it were not.

Look, I'm not a vegetarian. I don't shop only in natural food stores. I do believe in buying local, where possible, though. I do not consider myself an extremist in any way. I only post what I think the truth is. I don't think America's food supply is as safe as it should be. I think inspections are few and far between.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:58 AM

1,882 posts, read 4,618,621 times
GG, I'm sorry that is what/how you perceive a cattleman. Can't blame you if that is your experience. Just want you to know that we(most farmers/ranchers) are not like that, but yes there are some out there.
On behalf of farmers and ranchers across the world, I am sorry.
Take care, G.

Old 10-29-2012, 01:22 PM

Quote:
GG, I'm sorry that is what/how you perceive a cattleman. Can't blame you if that is your experience. Just want you to know that we(most farmers/ranchers) are not like that, but yes there are some out there.
Take care, G.
Thank you, but this guy was great, and honest, and felt very guilty. It's like chicken farmers who feed them all of those hormones and antibiotics - would you not respect them more if they were actually honest with you and put the ingredients of that chicken feed right on the label when you purchased their product?

That's all this fellow was doing - being honest about the additives in the food that he was feeding his cattle, things that would not occur in their diet in nature, things that were added to fatten them up and to kill bacteria.

You must realize that many scientists believe that we are ingesting too many antibiotics, not really needing them, which is causing creation of those antibiotic resistant bacteria, like MRSA? Some of those antibiotics are found in animal feed, it being more easy to just treat them, whether they are ill or not, than to take better care of their environment.

Remember that honest comment that Oprah made on her show about how bad beef was, and how quickly the cattlemen sued her for it? I think the reputation of cattlemen has been already created, by the cattlemen themselves.

Old 10-29-2012, 11:14 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
Quote:
Take care, G.
I think that when people rely upon Oprah as an expert on farming and ranching matters, it is living proof how out of touch city people are with what really happens on farm.

We always sold the steers for the beef and saved a dairy cow for the dinner table. When you can the beef as we often did, the meat of a dairy cow is still tender.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink