Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 09:39 AM

1,677 posts, read 6,829,244 times

Advertisements

I once read that Dorothy Parker used to eat raw bacon because she was too lazy to cook it. The idea freaks me out, but I grew up with a grandmother who was terrified of Trichinosis and passed that fear on to me, even though it's been pretty much eradicated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 10:34 AM

13,032 posts, read 24,552,134 times
I have no problem with raw bacon. I have quite often eaten raw "lardons" ( unsmoked as well as smoked) and even bits of bacon strips whilst cooking and never once been sick. I actually quite like the taste and texture. I think it is not that uncommon in Europe actually.

Old 01-24-2013, 11:13 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,713,176 times
Just the thought of this makes me want to vomit. Safe or not, the whole idea of eating it raw is more than I can stomach. I gag on it even if it is cooked, but not crisp.

Old 01-24-2013, 12:49 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,680,538 times
If it's cured bacon it's really not raw in the technical sense -- but how would you ever manage to get your teeth through the spongy, rubbery strips of fat, let alone detach a piece and chew it well enough to get it down the hatch?

Old 01-24-2013, 11:31 PM

50 posts, read 77,102 times
My great-grandmother, who immigrated here from Germany when she was a child in the late 1800's, ate raw bacon all her life. She lived to be 97 y/o, too...broke her hip from a fall and she never made it out of the hospital.

Old 01-25-2013, 12:21 AM

16,233 posts, read 27,278,222 times
I never particularly cared for it, but szalonna, or salo, is eaten every day throughout Eastern Europe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salo_(food)

The peasants working in the fields would pack a piece of bread, a piece of szalonna coated with paprika, and a raw onion and hot wax pepper (and of course some wine or schnapps) and eat their lunch in the shade of some mulberry or elderberry trees, thereby not wasting precious daylight time walking back to the house to take lunch and then return to the field. While most present-day Hungarians probably aren't toiling much on farm fields, they are still eating the same foods. Their 'bacon' is smoked and cured, and quite safe to eat 'raw'. It is a shelf stable food, kept in a pantry vs. refrigerated (or god forbid frozen).

When my aunt came to visit and she watched me frying our Sunday bacon, she was visibly bothered by what she saw. I asked her if there was something wrong, and she finally revealed that she just wanted to have her portion without frying, which I of course agreed to. She took a whole onion and sliced it thinly in her hand in such a way where it was still held together at the top and fanned out at the base. She sprinkled salt between the layers of onion and ate it with the bacon (which she had generously dusted with Hungarian paprika) and you would think she had died and gone to heaven by the expression on her face.

I think we should remember, what seems strange to us may be someone's normal, and what we consider commonplace is seen as bizarro world to some people from elsewhere. Most relatives visiting the US from Eastern Europe can't get used to the food around here. I learned something from them though, something I hadn't noticed myself but now agree - Americans sweeten everything. Beans, bread, cured meats, crackers, pickles, etc. all are sweetened, which to most Eastern Europeans seems, well, disgusting. Truth be told, we really should wean ourselves from the sugar addiction.

Old 01-25-2013, 01:04 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,105,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I never particularly cared for it, but szalonna, or salo, is eaten every day throughout Eastern Europe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salo_(food)

The peasants working in the fields would pack a piece of bread, a piece of szalonna coated with paprika, and a raw onion and hot wax pepper (and of course some wine or schnapps) and eat their lunch in the shade of some mulberry or elderberry trees, thereby not wasting precious daylight time walking back to the house to take lunch and then return to the field. While most present-day Hungarians probably aren't toiling much on farm fields, they are still eating the same foods. Their 'bacon' is smoked and cured, and quite safe to eat 'raw'. It is a shelf stable food, kept in a pantry vs. refrigerated (or god forbid frozen).

When my aunt came to visit and she watched me frying our Sunday bacon, she was visibly bothered by what she saw. I asked her if there was something wrong, and she finally revealed that she just wanted to have her portion without frying, which I of course agreed to. She took a whole onion and sliced it thinly in her hand in such a way where it was still held together at the top and fanned out at the base. She sprinkled salt between the layers of onion and ate it with the bacon (which she had generously dusted with Hungarian paprika) and you would think she had died and gone to heaven by the expression on her face.

I think we should remember, what seems strange to us may be someone's normal, and what we consider commonplace is seen as bizarro world to some people from elsewhere. Most relatives visiting the US from Eastern Europe can't get used to the food around here. I learned something from them though, something I hadn't noticed myself but now agree - Americans sweeten everything. Beans, bread, cured meats, crackers, pickles, etc. all are sweetened, which to most Eastern Europeans seems, well, disgusting. Truth be told, we really should wean ourselves from the sugar addiction.
Smoked and cured isn't raw.

Old 01-25-2013, 01:12 AM

16,233 posts, read 27,278,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Smoked and cured isn't raw.
Hence the 'raw'. Do you understand how scare quotes work? Here's a link.

Scare quotes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-26-2013, 08:28 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,394,621 times
I think raw bacon feels pretty slimy. I would never eat it right out of the package. I would guess the cholestrol in it would be worse because cooking the bacon cooks some of that fat out.

Old 01-26-2013, 08:54 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,298 posts, read 14,105,991 times
If the bacon will go bad in an unopened package, it hasn't been cured enough to safely eat raw - and that's how it used to be. Things have changed, bacon tastes different now, so it's possible they found some way to sterilize it.

Most raw cured meats have been so processed that they are too salty and dry for bacteria etc to live on them. Beef jerky, italian salamis (I think), country hams and country bacon are examples of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink