Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 05:26 PM

20,926 posts, read 28,397,897 times

Advertisements

The coffee percolater got me thinking of something weird that happened to me years ago at a BF's house. I was 19 and I was invited for dinner. We had pot roast and veggies. When it came time for dessert his mom brought out the cake I brang over. She puts a big coffee pot on the table (one of those faberware percolaters) I pour what I think is coffee in my cup and out comes hot water! His mom laughed and said we drink instant. Another time at this same BF's house it was Christmas day and I had dinner there. His mom tells me she made me Cannelloni because she knew I was Italian. I thanked her and ate it. Later on in the trash I saw that it was frozen weight watchers Cannelloni LOL. The coffee thing was weird to me because I assumed everyone drank perked coffee. I did not know anyone who drank instant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2012, 05:40 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,081,029 times
I was once at lunch at a friend's mountain cabin. There were 6 adults. The hostess "slaved" over the pot of soup. It was instant potato soup. What concerned me as there were 6 adults and it only served 2. Each of us had about 3 tablespoons full of soup and a croissant. That was all that was served for lunch. I was glad that I was going home after lunch as I was starving!

Another time as a teenager, I drove 20 minutes to a small home cooking restaurant for honey dipped fried chicken (I still miss that place) I took it take out to my friend's mom house. She was so pleased but she paused before eating. She told me that she could not eat out of styrofoam and asked if it was okay if I serve it to her on her everyday china that had to be warmed first. I loved her mom's indosyncratic tenandancies.

Old 10-02-2012, 05:42 PM

9,006 posts, read 13,831,283 times
Well,at my grandmom's house if some food dropped on the table while they served it they used their hands to put it back into the pot!

I see people who eat out their pots,let the dogs lick the dinner plates,and some who lick their fingers while serving food.

I witnessed my boyfriend washing dishes with his personal washcloth.

Old 10-02-2012, 05:44 PM

9,006 posts, read 13,831,283 times
My sister doesn't like anyone to eat out of her plates,so she makes us eat off of paper plates.

Old 10-02-2012, 05:48 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
There were about 9 of us I guess and we ate some chilli and all of us were dog sick the next day and I ran into half of them at the emergency room in the local hospital and we were told we all had food poisoning needless to say that was not only the worst meal but also the most exspensive dinner .. I can laugh about it now but back when it happened it was not very funny .

Old 10-02-2012, 06:09 PM

5,585 posts, read 984,194 times
I don't know if this qualifies as being weird, anyway before I married my husband we ate at his parents for a pre wedding dinner, his Mom fixed I don't remember what, but the meal was nutritional along with the veggies, and then my husband & I were served a glass of water with our meal. We were not asked what we wanted to drink, his Mom just served us water. I never drink water with my meals, so I was upset about it, I didn't mention it to anyone, just thought it was the norm for his family. Would rather have had Lemonade, tea, or milk.

Old 10-02-2012, 07:31 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Every year for many years we had Thanksgiving dinner at my parents' house. Traditionally, it was my duty to bring an expensive ham, which I did. (I also brought the bread, a side dish, and a dessert every year.)

One year we decided to switch things up, and have Thanksgiving dinner at OUR house (it was a family decision). So my mom asked what she could bring. I told her, "This year YOU can bring the stuff I usually bring, and I'll make the turkey and dressing (she usually did it)."

Eighteen people showed up at my house. And my mom brought "the ham." Rather, she brought about 8 slices of "the ham" in a baggie. She told me, "It seemed like such a big ham. I thought this would be enough, and then your dad and I can have the leftovers this next week." And - that was all she brought.

WHAT? By the way, my parents are wealthy, so it wasn't like it was financially difficult for them to bring an entire ham, to serve 18 people.

I got her back the next year though. I brought the ham - and I put about 8 pieces in a baggie. When I got to her house, I said, "Well, here's the ham," and laid it on the table. You should have seen the look on her face! (I had the rest of it with me, of course!)

Old 10-02-2012, 09:42 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
One holiday meal was at our house and present were me, DH, our two young children, my mother. I was expecting my brother and his wife. I asked her to bring a side dish. They showed up with her sister and her sister's BF with not one word in advance about 2 extra mouths to feed but she did walk in the door with "So I brought dessert for us all too." Her dessert for 9 people was a 9" Mrs. Smith pumpkin pie which was still frozen. I immediately put it in the oven.

Her side dish consisted of 1 can of green beans, 1 can of cream of mushroom soup and half a can of leftover fried onions. My mother was furious but was determined to be gracious for my sake because she knew how hard I worked to make a really good meal.

At the end of the evening my sister-in-law went into the kitchen and started to wrap up the small portion of uneaten pie to take home with her. By this time my mother had more than she could take and when she saw what my sister-in-law was doing she grabbed a fork and the pie plate and said "Oh goodie, I was hoping I could have a second helping" and proceeded to stand right there and eat it in front of her. My sister-in-law actually complained to her husband, my brother on the way out of the door. I never volunteered to have them over again.

Old 10-02-2012, 10:10 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,219,847 times
Great thread, Lubby. Thanks for starting it.

Many years ago, DH and I were invited guests to a BBQ. We weren't asked to bring anything (we offered), so we just brought a big box of assorted pastries and a bouquet of flowers for the hostess.

Imagine our surprise when we saw the dining room set up for a sit-down dinner. It turned out to be just the four of us (the host, hostess and us). The host grilled outside and brought the food into the dining room. There were 4 small burgers on the platter, (and I do mean small), for us to each take one. No buns, very limited fixings and a moderate sized bowl of canned baked beans.

They served coffee and put out just 4 of the pastries we brought for dessert. I was very glad we brought the pastries, because I got the impression they weren't planning to serve dessert.

BTW, these were people with money...

Old 10-02-2012, 11:09 PM

849 posts, read 1,952,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
One holiday meal was at our house and present were me, DH, our two young children, my mother. I was expecting my brother and his wife. I asked her to bring a side dish. They showed up with her sister and her sister's BF with not one word in advance about 2 extra mouths to feed but she did walk in the door with "So I brought dessert for us all too." Her dessert for 9 people was a 9" Mrs. Smith pumpkin pie which was still frozen. I immediately put it in the oven.

Her side dish consisted of 1 can of green beans, 1 can of cream of mushroom soup and half a can of leftover fried onions. My mother was furious but was determined to be gracious for my sake because she knew how hard I worked to make a really good meal.

At the end of the evening my sister-in-law went into the kitchen and started to wrap up the small portion of uneaten pie to take home with her. By this time my mother had more than she could take and when she saw what my sister-in-law was doing she grabbed a fork and the pie plate and said "Oh goodie, I was hoping I could have a second helping" and proceeded to stand right there and eat it in front of her. My sister-in-law actually complained to her husband, my brother on the way out of the door. I never volunteered to have them over again.
Some people just have no sense, not a lick of sense at all!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink