Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which starch?
White potatoes 18 31.58%
Sweet potatoes 1 1.75%
Rice 14 24.56%
Breads 4 7.02%
Tortillas 3 5.26%
Other, I'll explain in the comments. 17 29.82%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 02:47 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,585,459 times

Advertisements

Although we'd have spaghetti as an entree when I was growing up, we'd usually have potatoes or rice for a side starch with meats or stews. That was pretty much 50/50 with potatoes probably edging out rice by a little. Now, even though I do enjoy pasta as an entree, and potatoes as an entree or side, I eat rice pretty much every day - sometimes more than once a day. I'll also eat couscous and other grains - plus crackers and bread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2012, 02:58 PM

50,325 posts, read 63,895,871 times
Potato, potato, potato....with second place going to pasta and once or twice a month, rice.

Old 10-08-2012, 03:44 PM

1,566 posts, read 2,157,892 times
Yukon and Russet potatos get top billing, but then rice ( basmati is my favorite) and pasta (I love angel hair, my family loves that along with rigatoni and penne) is a very close second. Basically though all three are eaten a lot in our house. I personally love sweet potatos also, but rarely cook with them. I also love corn tortillas; my daughter prefers flour though so I have to buy both. I'd like to start making my own corn tortillas one of these days.

Old 10-08-2012, 03:49 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,344,416 times
I think I can count on one hand how many times my Grandmother cooked rice. And it was Minute Rice! But we often had potatoes and polenta.

Anyone remember the government used to give out surplus cheese, butter, and cornmeal? We had so much cornmeal...the cheese was good, big blocks of American Cheese.

Old 10-24-2012, 10:25 PM

238 posts, read 227,365 times
I am a total carb junkie, I could eat anything in a sandwich (including spaghetti- which used to embarrass my stepfather to no end). I love bread, and it is probably the thing I miss most about growing up in NY/NJ. Do you know that people not from there have NO IDEA what a hard roll is or a real bagel tastes like? LOL I miss going to the bakery on Sunday mornings to pick from the myriad of choices.

Growing up rice was maybe a few times a year, and it was butter and salt OR milk & sugar (gross) so I thought I hated it. It's not my favorite, but I do eat it fairly often, I much prefer brown or wild rice.

Pasta- I could live on pasta and eat it for every meal, including snacks. There is very little you could do to it that I wouldn't like it.

Potatoes- I also thought I hated sweet potatoes, but I just hated sweet things added to sweet potatoes which was the only way I was served them. Now, they are my fave potatoes, I love oven baked sweet potato fries with a spicy seasoning blend or a baked or roasted sweet potato and often skip the other components of the meal because I enjoy the sweet potato so much.

I did not even know what a tortilla was til I was in my early 20s and it opened a whole new world.

Old 10-24-2012, 10:30 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,470,523 times
I would have to pick two of those, and that would be white potatoes and rice.

Old 10-25-2012, 12:21 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,884,919 times
People in New York don't know what a real bagel tastes like? Really, Diva??
Anyway, my husband grew up as one of those government surplus kids like Jasper mentioned, but they got rice instead of cornmeal with their cheese and dry milk and peanut butter, so he was not a fan of rice having eaten it practically every meal. I grew up with potatoes, having a father that wouldn't eat pasta or rice. But NOW I voted for rice, 'cuz I think that's what we have the most. Although I LOVE sweet potatoes, I don't really care for white potatoes, unless they're in my homemade potato salad. And he has to be gluten free, so we don't eat a lot of pasta, although I do make gluten free pasta.
And, tonight we're having spaghetti squash for supper!!

Old 10-25-2012, 02:05 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,420,037 times
When I was growing up we had white potatos with nearly every meal..
I can hardly stand potatos now and find myself eating alot of bakery bread.

Old 10-25-2012, 03:04 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,910,074 times
Rice but Ive switched to brown rice for health reasons.

Old 10-25-2012, 07:14 PM

238 posts, read 227,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
People in New York don't know what a real bagel tastes like? Really, Diva??
Anyway, my husband grew up as one of those government surplus kids like Jasper mentioned, but they got rice instead of cornmeal with their cheese and dry milk and peanut butter, so he was not a fan of rice having eaten it practically every meal. I grew up with potatoes, having a father that wouldn't eat pasta or rice. But NOW I voted for rice, 'cuz I think that's what we have the most. Although I LOVE sweet potatoes, I don't really care for white potatoes, unless they're in my homemade potato salad. And he has to be gluten free, so we don't eat a lot of pasta, although I do make gluten free pasta.
And, tonight we're having spaghetti squash for supper!!
Actually I think I said - or at least meant to say that people not from the NY/NJ area (or who haven't visited) don't know what a real bagel tastes like- I have lived in a lot of states, and traveled in at least 2/3 of them, and I have never gotten a bagel anywhere but NY/NJ that tastes like a bagel there. I still like them, but they aren't the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink