Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 08:45 PM

881 posts, read 2,092,003 times

Advertisements

Note too though that Milk/dairy/refrigerated goods are along the walls in Convenience stores as well as nearest the loading dock/entry. "Increasing sales" has nothing to do w/it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2012, 09:03 PM

317 posts, read 576,337 times
i'd rather walk across the huge parking lot to pay $3 for a gallon of milk rather than $5 for a gallon at a convenience store.

plus the beer is always cheaper at the grocery stores, like getting a tall boy of Keystone Ice for 99 cents!

Old 10-22-2012, 09:09 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,036,965 times
Here's my meager take based upon two years working in a supermarket... You can stock and store dairy in a single cooling unit that can be loaded from the rear of the display case without having to take the product out to the floor. Unlike frozen food that has a longer handling time, dairy which is just cooled requires a shorter stocking time before the temp rises about safe handling practices.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:17 PM

890 posts, read 2,279,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
Most of the time I have noticed the milk to be along the back where the storage cooler area is. I think this does help in stocking milk, but I also have to walk through a lot of other products to get to the milk.

Many more expensive items are also placed at eye level to adults as well. (or items they really want you to see and buy)
Yep, a lot of stores stock store brand items either above or below eye level. They want you to see the more expensive brand name items first. They also put popular kids snack foods closer to the ground, so they beg and plead their parents to buy them. Just another reason not to take kids shopping.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:43 PM

5,587 posts, read 8,400,404 times
I had always heard it was to make you go through the entire store and get side-tracked buying additional items. And as a person with a problem walking, it's a real pain (literally) for me -- supermarkets are BIG. Which is why, if I just need milk, I usually stop at a convenience store. I'm sure I'm paying more, but it's worth it to avoid that long walk to the back of the store.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:53 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,428,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Here's my meager take based upon two years working in a supermarket... You can stock and store dairy in a single cooling unit that can be loaded from the rear of the display case without having to take the product out to the floor. Unlike frozen food that has a longer handling time, dairy which is just cooled requires a shorter stocking time before the temp rises about safe handling practices.
Exactly. And the store I just shopped today had the dairy on the side, because that was the logical place to put it at that particular location.

But just watch... this urban myth is so strong, just watch how many people will still comment in this thread to say it's true.

Old 10-22-2012, 11:08 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,129,284 times
Where I buy milk (Wegmans), it's located near the registers. However, all the other grocery stores around here do locate them near the back more or less.

Old 10-22-2012, 11:13 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,129,284 times
Where I buy milk (Wegmans), the milk is located in the front by the registers. Other grocery stores around here do have them located near the back.

Old 10-22-2012, 11:23 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,251,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Product placement is a big field with people making a lot of money laying out the stores to maximum profit, but milk is not placed in the back because of that. They have to replenish the shelves often, and do so from the back, so the stocker doesn't get in the way of shoppers.
Basically milk is near the cooler. The cooler is usually at a corner of the back of the store. This means the milk travels very little inbetween cold storage and the shelf. You don't want the pallat of it sitting in the warm air while one lowly clerk loads the shelf in the middle of the store.

Old 10-22-2012, 11:49 PM

723 posts, read 2,193,150 times
for those of you who think this is hogwash, the VP or whatever of walmart stores has said in a documentary that milk is placed at the back so that people browse through the rest of the store on their way there, because it's one of their most popular items.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink