Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 09:13 AM

882 posts, read 2,083,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emerald_octane View Post
for those of you who think this is hogwash, the VP or whatever of walmart stores has said in a documentary that milk is placed at the back so that people browse through the rest of the store on their way there, because it's one of their most popular items.
Let me guess - this is confirmed by someone's first cousin, twice removed, who swears that she knows someone who heard this...
This is a classic case of chicx & eggs - which came 1st, the design & layout of stores or the "marketing concept" used to justify layouts?
FWIW, I forgot @ WM - the closest one has a refrigerated food section at the very front/left side - the same side as it's secondary loading dock. Wonder why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2012, 10:09 AM

42,579 posts, read 86,624,998 times
It's easier to stock high turnover items in the dairy case from the back, so it is located against a wall that has rear access, normally from the stockroom.

Old 10-23-2012, 10:41 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,507,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayess1 View Post
Let me guess - this is confirmed by someone's first cousin, twice removed, who swears that she knows someone who heard this...
Make all the snarky comments you want, I have heard it first hand from the grocery store owner, manager and asst. manager. Obviously, not every store follows this plan but it was definitely the case for the one I worked in.

Old 10-23-2012, 11:10 AM

7,138 posts, read 10,973,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
And yet, in the stores I shop at......the ice cream is always in the middle of the store.....and that includes Wal*Mart.

Not smart, IMO.

I always start shopping on one side of the store and work my way through the aisles to the other side of the store.

Many times, when I pass the ice cream, I think about getting some.......BUT......I don't want it to start melting while I work my way through the rest of the aisles, so I pass it by.......and then......when I am done......the urge to pick up that ice cream is gone or I don't want to bother going back to the middle to pick it up.

What ARE they thinking?

Needless to say, I very rarely ever buy ice cream.....and that's a good thing. LOL
Actually that was already covered in this post.

//www.city-data.com/forum/26625547-post18.html

It's not about customer convenience. It's for store necessity. Frozen food is stored for a longer time. Refrigerated products with shorter handling time need to be in a covenant location near the store room. Though one supermarket I shop in has the frozen foods section on the side of the store. Ice cream and such is stocked from the back, just like dairy products.

You should probably organize your shopping trips better though. I but a lot of ice cream, but it melts more in my car on the way home, then it does in the short time, I'm in the store.

Last edited by KaaBoom; 10-23-2012 at 12:28 PM..

Old 10-23-2012, 11:35 AM

15,701 posts, read 16,964,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Actually that was already covered in the post.

//www.city-data.com/forum/26625547-post18.html

It's not about customer convenience. It's for store necessity. Frozen food is stored for a longer time. Refrigerated products with shorter handling time need to be in a covenant location near the store room. Though one supermarket I shop in has the frozen foods section on the side of the store. Ice cream and such is stocked from the back, just like dairy products.

You should probably organize your shopping trips better though. I but a lot of ice cream, but it melts more in my car on the way home, then it does in the short time, I'm in the store.
The trip from the stockroom to a display case on an end aisle or near the front of the store could be easily timed to be done in a short amount of time......just a few seconds more time than it takes to put it in an aisle in the middle of the store.

I methodically work my way from one end of the store to the other instead of backtracking.....I call that organized. Also, I only go grocery shopping once every 2-3 weeks.....that requires organization.

Another major problem......when I am done shopping, I have no idea how long I will be stuck waiting in line to check out. That could easily take longer than it does for me to drive home. If my drive home was the problem, I could keep a small cooler in the trunk.

For me, ice cream is an impulse buy, ....once I have passed it in the middle aisle, because I still have half of the store to go through.....that impulse is gone.....out of sight, out of mind.

Last edited by Annie53; 10-23-2012 at 11:44 AM..

Old 10-23-2012, 11:39 AM

17,330 posts, read 32,879,911 times
I don't know which is true (so that you have walk through the store and hopefully buy something else along the way ... or because the cooler/venting system is in the back), but what I will tell you is this:

If my plan is to ONLY buy milk, I don't take a cart or a basket when I walk into the store. And when I buy milk, I buy the gallon container. So, on my way to get the milk (which IS in the back in my case), I have nothing to put my "extra" purchase in (and I'd need to put it somewhere so I can sift through the milk cartons to find the one with the latest "sell before" date). And on my way to check out, I'm holding a gallon of milk and just want to put the damn thing down.

Old 10-23-2012, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
The trip from the stockroom to a display case on an end aisle or near the front of the store could be easily timed to be done in a short amount of time......just a few seconds more time than it takes to put it in an aisle in the middle of the store.

I methodically work my way from one end of the store to the other instead of backtracking.....I call that organized. Also, I only go grocery shopping once every 2-3 weeks.....that requires organization.

Another major problem......when I am done shopping, I have no idea how long I will be stuck waiting in line to check out. That could easily take longer than it does for me to drive home. If my drive home was the problem, I could keep a small cooler in the trunk.

For me, ice cream is an impulse buy, ....once I have passed it in the middle aisle, because I still have half of the store to go through.....that impulse is gone.....out of sight, out of mind.
Again as the other post pointed out, the dairy display case and the cold storage unites are usually one and the same. That would allow the display case to be stocked multiple times a day, with very minimum labor. Frozen foods only need to be stocked probably once or twice a week. Probably at night time. It just makes economic sense to have the dairy products on the back wall, and the frozen foods in the middle.

Would you want to pay extra for extra cost of having it your way? If so you should look around for other stores in your area. As I said one store I shop at has frozen foods on the side of the store. It's a very nice store, but its not the cheapest, and the frozen food section is not as big, as others.

Old 10-23-2012, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I don't know which is true (so that you have walk through the store and hopefully buy something else along the way ... or because the cooler/venting system is in the back), but what I will tell you is this:

If my plan is to ONLY buy milk, I don't take a cart or a basket when I walk into the store. And when I buy milk, I buy the gallon container. So, on my way to get the milk (which IS in the back in my case), I have nothing to put my "extra" purchase in (and I'd need to put it somewhere so I can sift through the milk cartons to find the one with the latest "sell before" date). And on my way to check out, I'm holding a gallon of milk and just want to put the damn thing down.

On the good side you, it gives you a bit of exercise. But yeah, thats pretty much the way I shop too.

Old 10-23-2012, 12:54 PM

16,890 posts, read 16,012,491 times
The cows keep the milk in the back.

Old 10-23-2012, 01:02 PM

41,744 posts, read 74,721,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
The cows keep the milk in the back.
I think you're onto something here ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink