Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 01:43 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Interview a grocery store manager. We're not here to do your homework for you.
I believe the OP was just asking for help with a search term, not looking for someone to write the paper for her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2012, 01:54 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
When I was getting my MBA years ago I took a whole semester of Product Placement- not just grocery stores but all retail stores. Pricing, placement advertising, etc are all specific sciences and not much is left to chance. Endless studies, consumer watching and timing go into these decisions and trends come and go just like everything else in our world.

And believe me maximizing profits is what it is all about even to the detriment of staff convenience.

I live in a university town. I find that each grocery store even of the same chain can have a different layout depending on how close to campus they are. Out in the neighborhoods produce is on one side, dairy in the back with meat, frozen close to the side walls while closer to campus you have to go all the way to the back to find fresh produce and meat and dairy but beer, wine, processed food, canned goods, snacks, etc are all right there as close to check out as possible. Designing for your model consumer is smart.

I always shop with a list made from the Wednesday Sales Flyer and make one for DH when he goes. he likes to take the kids cause they fetch and run around and know the stores better than he does. I don't like to take them cause even though they don't bug me for stuff, they are a distraction.

About every 6 to 8 weeks I make a run up and down every aisle just to see what is new, pick up something I might need for a special recipe or to find something I don't usually buy every week--example pimentos, rinse agent for dishwasher, etc.

Old 10-24-2012, 02:00 PM

Placing the same thread in two different forums is against TOS. At the same time this person asked same question in Economics.

Old 10-24-2012, 03:10 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Basically milk is near the cooler. The cooler is usually at a corner of the back of the store. This means the milk travels very little inbetween cold storage and the shelf. You don't want the pallat of it sitting in the warm air while one lowly clerk loads the shelf in the middle of the store.
Yep when I was a kid things that need backroom coolers where always near the back of the store from eggs to meat.

Old 10-24-2012, 03:55 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,497,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Placing the same thread in two different forums is against TOS. At the same time this person asked same question in Economics.
Both threads merged.

Old 10-24-2012, 08:02 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,436,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I think the placement is also the design of the building.
Ding, ding, ding. Here we have it folks, at last, the *CORRECT ANSWER!*

Quote:
Walmart isn't going to 'redesign' a building just so the milk's in the back.
My closest WalMart, which I described as having the milk coolers close to the main entrance, was custom designed, and built by WalMart and opened only a year ago.

Quote:
And it better be cared for well so it lasts...here its 4 dollars a gallon AT Walmart.
Everything is relative... in Hawai'i the milk is $5 at WalMart.

Old 10-25-2012, 03:29 PM

everything is more expensive in Hawaii
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink