Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 02:13 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,838,057 times

Advertisements

Why are we consuming any animals milk that isn't for us,but the animals offspring?
I guess that's one of the reasons I dislike milk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2012, 08:43 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,177,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
What about coconut milk ?
It's not milk. That is unless you are suggesting that a coconut is a mammal.

Quote:
The water inside the coconut is called what ? Coconut juice ?
You can call it whatever you want based on what is loosely resembles. The fact of the matter remains: it is not milk.

Quote:
And when you grind the coconut flesh (if you can call it flesh), and press that stuff through a sieve, what do you get then ?
A plant rendered liquid that most certainly did not come from a mammal.

Old 10-27-2012, 10:04 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,856,642 times
Yeah ... whatever ....

milk (mlk)n.1. A whitish liquid containing proteins, fats, lactose, and various vitamins and minerals that is produced by the mammary glands of all mature female mammals after they have given birth and serves as nourishment for their young.
2. The milk of cows, goats, or other animals, used as food by humans.
3. A liquid, such as coconut milk, milkweed sap, plant latex, or various medical emulsions, that is similar to milk in appearance.

v.1. To draw milk from the teat or udder of a female mammal.
2. To press out, drain off, or remove by or as if by milking; strip.

milk - definition of milk in the Medical dictionary - by the Free Online Medical Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.
================================================== =

Definition of milk noun

[mass noun]
  • an opaque white fluid rich in fat and protein, secreted by female mammals for the nourishment of their young: some new mothers don’t believe they produce enough breast milk
  • the milk of cows (or occasionally goats or ewes) as a drink for humans: a glass of milk
  • the white juice of certain plants: coconut milk
  • a creamy-textured liquid with a particular ingredient or use: cleansing milk
http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/milk

Old 10-27-2012, 12:49 PM

223 posts, read 246,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Why are we consuming any animals milk that isn't for us,but the animals offspring?
I guess that's one of the reasons I dislike milk.
You plan on hitting the bube again?

Old 10-27-2012, 12:59 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,031,211 times
Goat's milk is naturally homogenized, it won't separate if you have a jar of it in the refrigerator. If you have a jar of raw cow's milk, it will readily separate with the cream at the top. It's best if you shake the jar every time you open the refrigerator if you want it to stay semi-homogenized.

Also, there are taste differences between the different breeds of cows and goats. Milk from Nubian goats which haven't had a male goat nearby (they can be amazingly stinky) is hard to tell from commercial homogenized whole cow's milk. There are other breeds of goats which are kept for making goat cheese and that has more of a "goaty" flavor.

I think the Holstein breed is the most common milk cow in the United States (although I didn't look it up). They don't produce the best milk but they do probably produce the most milk. As usual, when folks are doing things to make money they don't make the best.

Old 10-27-2012, 07:40 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,929,893 times
I've been wanting to try camel's milk for the longest time. So stupid the Dept of Agriculture has so many restrictions on it.

Old 10-27-2012, 08:56 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
I think the Holstein breed is the most common milk cow in the United States (although I didn't look it up). They don't produce the best milk but they do probably produce the most milk. As usual, when folks are doing things to make money they don't make the best.
Holsteins produce a large quantity of milk compared with other dairy breeds. They are also heartier than the other breeds and are more tolerant to cold temperatures found in many milk producing states.

The major difference in the Holstein milk as compared with other breeds is that the milk contains LESS butterfat on average - 3.5% versus 4-6.0% butterfat.

Can the average family really afford to spend an additional 50% to the price of milk?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink