Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 07:28 PM

701 posts, read 1,562,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
My son won't eat chicken "cleanly." He leaves meat on any piece he eats. It drives me crazy. I tell him he can't have another piece of chicken 'til he finishes that one. He does it .. but it's like I'm poking him with a hot rod of fire. Me? I chew the gristle off the bones. Any bones. Pork, chicken, beef, don't matter. It looks like a cat ate it when I am done.
I'm like your son. I eat as much of the meat as I can without touching the gristle or chewing on the bone. If it's too much for me to get through (like ribs for instance), I won't deal with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2012, 07:42 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,811,321 times
My 80 year old MIL talks with food in her mouth, smacks her lips, slurps her drinks, and lets out a huge sigh after swallowing her drink. When she is having a snack such as an apple or a small bunch of grapes she will use a full sized dinner plate. I have many small plates to choose from. Having these snacks throughout the day results in no clean dinner plates for dinner!!! It drives me insane. Luckily, she only comes out to visit us once every two years or so. Unfortunately, my husband talks to her frequently, on the speaker phone, and quite often she is having one of her little snacks during the conversation. GAH!!! I can hear every last smack and swallow.

Old 11-06-2012, 07:51 PM

1,566 posts, read 2,158,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
My 80 year old MIL talks with food in her mouth, smacks her lips, slurps her drinks, and lets out a huge sigh after swallowing her drink. When she is having a snack such as an apple or a small bunch of grapes she will use a full sized dinner plate. I have many small plates to choose from. Having these snacks throughout the day results in no clean dinner plates for dinner!!! It drives me insane. Luckily, she only comes out to visit us once every two years or so. Unfortunately, my husband talks to her frequently, on the speaker phone, and quite often she is having one of her little snacks during the conversation. GAH!!! I can hear every last smack and swallow.
Ohhh...that would drive me nuts too!

Old 11-06-2012, 07:52 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,541,852 times
I don't like eating meat with a bone, but I can handle a pork chop because its easy to cut the meat off the bone. More difficult with a chicken drumstick.

I don't like dishes or soups that have big chunks of vegetable or meat. I like things chopped up small. Strangely, the only dish where this doesn't bother me is beef stew.

When I eat chicken, I can eat most dishes if someone else or a restaurant cooked it. But if I cook it, the chicken has to be very thin, like a cutlet, heavily seasoned/marinated, and/or cold.

Old 11-07-2012, 12:43 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,476,977 times
People that makes a lot of noise eating, like smacking and slurping makes me crazy. It is as bad as someone scratching a chalkboard, it goes right through me. I am SOOOO grateful that none of my children eat that way.

I always eat things one at a time. I very rarely put 2 or more foods together on a fork and eat it. Like I'll eat all of one thing, then move to something else.

My middle son, an adult now used to LOVE my spaghetti and meatballs when he was a toddler. I have photos of him with marinara sauce all over his face at age 2 or 3. He decided sometime in grade school that he didn't like marinara sauce. He is 22 and just ate his first pizza last year. He is very reluctant to try anything new.

I do not understand why people put all kinds of salt on everything they eat. I also do not understand why people also put ketsup or hot sauce on everything. I used to know a man that put peanut butter on everything, and I mean everything he ate. If he was eating an egg salad sandwich it had PB on it too.

Oh, here is one. People that allow their pets to clean off their plates when they are done. I don't CARE is you wash them in hot water or the diswasher, it is disgusting!

Old 11-07-2012, 02:46 AM

987 posts, read 1,385,983 times
Eating with my fingers! (they're clean, I washed them)

Old 11-07-2012, 04:07 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,829,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
Oh, here is one. People that allow their pets to clean off their plates when they are done. I don't CARE is you wash them in hot water or the diswasher, it is disgusting!
I had a friend who's parents let the little dog jump up on the table and sit there and eat from their finished plate ...while other people were still eating. This only happened once to me, because I didn't know about it. I almost barfed, realizing the plate I was eating from probably had Fido germs all over it.
Dogs lick themselves.... everywhere...and you're gonna let him lick your plate? OMG So Gross. And on the table? I was sitting there looking at a dog's butt while I was finishing whatever I had. Actually, I think I said I was full and excused myself. Never ate there again.

Old 11-07-2012, 06:08 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,625,061 times
Slurping, farting, people who look suspicious and make faces at the food, picky eaters, dogs and cats wondering on the table ( yes I have seen it ), putting salt on the food before even tasting it, adding ketchup or other condiment to something which does not need it ( I have met people who travel with ketchup and mayo jars so they can "add" to hosts' dinners), reading at the table, using a cell phone /video game at the table ( I don't care whether you are a kid or not it is so bloody rude), people who watch TV whilst eating ( might be fine when you are on your own at home but surely not for guests at parties). People who wipe their hands on the tablecloth rather than the napkins, people who think it is OK to tell toilet "jokes" or disgusting anectdotes at home, people who arrive late and leave also too late. Loud open mouth chewing, teeth sucking etc... And people who start eating before anyone else. People who do not thank or compliment their hosts and do not bring a little something to the dinner party.

Why is it some people behave like Baboons at the table whilst others are beautifully mannered, polite and graceful. I really don't think it is brain surgery. Eating should be relaxing and pleasureable but it does not mean people can't obey basic etiquette and manners. There has to be a happy middle between the Queen and Bubba Teeth Redneck woodsman....

Old 11-07-2012, 06:42 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,853,358 times
I wouldn't call poor table manners a "dislike." I can't imagine anyone would enjoy eating with anyone who practiced poor, or even offensive table manners.

When we were growing up if we used unacceptable manners at the table our mom would relocate us to a tv tray in the next room to finish our meal alone. We quickly learned to use appropriate manners at meals.

Old 11-07-2012, 07:05 AM

1,882 posts, read 4,618,395 times
My mom taught us good manners, but let my little brother get by with alot. He is now a great "teacher" of manners to my kids because he has NO manners. Now the kids understand why I get on their but's about manners. Talking with mouth full, chew'n with mouth open, and turn'n nose up to food that they haven't tasted is what they have learned is bad.

But we all have our own problems. And you must take the good with the bad in all people. If everybody was the same it would be boring.

Another I thought of that happens at restaurants all the time is take'n plates away when not everyone is done. I'm a slow eater and have had them grab my plate as I was take'n a bite, mouth full, and kids had to say that I was not done yet. lol I know they want turnover, but repeat business is also good.

Last edited by Capt. Cave Man; 11-07-2012 at 07:17 AM.. Reason: had a thought
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink