Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 01:55 PM

16,904 posts, read 16,125,351 times

Advertisements

^^^ Thank you! ^^^
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2012, 03:09 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,760,432 times
America's food chains are pretty pervasive but they are NOT our national cuisine -- they are only an odoriferous blight on the American landscape. American cuisine consists of foods created in America for Americans!!! I was first tuned into this idea when I read in a Brit cookbook that "pecan pie is one of the glories of American cuisine." Just because you can buy it out of a coin-operated slot in an Automat doesn't mean it's not real American home cooking. In fact, that coin slot would stay empty and the pie would grow blue fur if it weren't real American food.

American cuisine includes:

Pecan pie, obviously!
Pumpkin pie and all other pumpkin & squash recipes
Chess pie
Chili!!!
All the American variations on the frankfurter, including corndogs, sweet-and-sour slow-cooker Vienna sausage made with ketchup and grape jelly, Coney dogs with chili and mustard, and of course the "footlong"
Anything involving sweet potatoes
Just about anything involving tomatoes
Mostly anything involving peanuts
Most sweetcorn and ripe corn recipes, like cornbread and tamales -- especially corn on the cob
Pizza -- adapted from European "pizza rustica," which really is a pie, to suit American tastes and speedy home delivery
Smoked salmon -- invented by the Aleutians, I believe
Chop suey, General Tso’s chicken, egg rolls, chow mein, Crab Rangoon -- all invented by Chinese-American immigrants and never seen in China
Spam, I'm sorry to say!
Space Food Sticks (remember those?)
All dessert abominations made of American space-age materials, like Tang Pie (Tang + Cool Whip)
Dirty rice, blackened fish, po' boys sandwiches and other Cajun delights
Planked fish, especially Shad and Whitefish baked and served on a plank, is very American
Buffalo burgers
Deep-fried Alligator tail
Reuben sandwiches
Philly steak sandwiches
Dagwood sandwiches
Bacon-and-maple sundaes
Black walnut ice cream
Deep-fried cheese
Meatloaf frosted with red mashed potatoes and bound with cornflakes
...and let us never forget that we live proudly in the Unites States of Barbecue!

Old 11-12-2012, 08:47 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,018,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
And yet you suggested Panera's has great salads?
I know I was pissed. Though it is better than cheap diner salads and for a chain it's not bac

Old 11-12-2012, 08:57 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,018,067 times
Had no idea smoked salmon was American

I'd add

Whoopsie pies
New England seafood bakes
Clam chows ah
Lobster

Hawaii has unique offerings that go beyond poi or spam

Old 11-12-2012, 09:03 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Well isn't Australian only food they are famous for Veevemite sandwich. Just put the bugger on the barbee and slap it between two slices of bread.LOL

Old 11-12-2012, 09:21 PM

149 posts, read 271,091 times
American BBQ is fantastic. And it tends to not be chain restaurants.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:36 PM

1,566 posts, read 2,159,288 times
sooo tired and over these American bashing threads

Old 11-12-2012, 11:46 PM

700 posts, read 637,960 times
American cuisine is almost exclusively regional and therefore not packaged as being universally American but rather Cajun/Creole, Tex-Mex, Southern (soul food), Hawaiian, New England, etc... Just in this small Acadiana region exist Court Billion (The dish, not the French style of cooking), Gumbo, Jambalaya, Crawfish Etouffee, Boudin, etc...

If I travel to another country and partake in eating at only chain restaurants, it reveals more about my own lack of culture than my host.

Old 11-13-2012, 12:26 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
American food is both regional and multi-faceted. It definitely reflects the blend of cultures and traditions in any particular section.

Old 11-13-2012, 03:12 AM

5,059 posts, read 7,500,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
This Australian is insistent that American cuisine is stereotypical chain. Do you agree or do you think its just plain ignorance or jealousy?

What do you think?

My rebuttals are presented in this thread:
//www.city-data.com/forum/austr...australia.html
u

Ignorance, stereotypes, what ever you want to call it.

Both countries could do better to market themselves from a food perspective.

How many Americans would know Australians consumes more alcohol from wine than beer? Or that it is one of the worlds largest wine exporters?

That is not the Australian Stereotype. just like the USA's stereotype as a country that survives on Burgers, Tacos and Fried Chicken is not true.

Anyway I am looking forward to finding out about some good American style home cooking
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink