Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2012, 04:42 PM

2,727 posts, read 6,153,802 times

Advertisements

The fruit sampling is a peeve of mine too, and gross! I liek to wash my produce before eating it. And I don't buy the whole "wipe it on my shirt or a kleenex". Yuck!

Also, when people stop in front of the store to let someone out, and they don't pull off to the side. They stop right in the middle of the "road", and the person getting out always takes their sweet time or turns back to talk to the driver. Dude, MOVE OVER! Elderly/disabled I am more understanding of teh slow moving, but it still bugs me that the driver doesn't move off to the side.

Drivers who park in the front of the store to run inside. Seriously????

Drivers who are picking someone up and pull up in front of the ramp that you walk your cart down. Can't tell you how many times, I wanted to walk my cart down and ram it into their vehicle. If you're not taking the cart off the curb, then pull in front of the curb part of it to load the groceries.

Old 11-18-2012, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I wasn't waiting 15 minutes but the checker who came to open the new line stopped the guy who had come up behind me from getting in front of me by telling him "she was ahead of you." This other customer was going to just walk right in front of me too. He had a cart and I didn't so I had to avoid him by stepping aside in order to avoid getting run over as he attempted to swing it in front of me.

This just happend today. So kudos to that checker. I thanked him. It was at Safeway.
This has happened to me before too. It's a peeve when the last customer in line jumps to the newly opened register and they allow it. And when a cashier points out that "you are not the next customer, they are", I think it's wonderful. I've thanked cashiers before, when I have been the next customer that someone tried to cut ahead of.

Old 11-18-2012, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxyman View Post
forgot one........ people that hover over you like a bloody helicopter as you are punching in your PIN number.
One time I had pushed my cart ahead for the bagger to put my bags in it. In that 2 seconds it took, the jerk behind me moved all the way up to where the card reader was. I politely thanked her for being so kind to pay for my groceries. She did give me the stink eye, but backed away.

Old 11-18-2012, 05:54 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,851,624 times
I had a rough day today and had to stop by the grocery store on the way home. I swear I ran into every peeve here in one 10 minute trip. I see a spot so I start to turn into it when the lady parked in the next spot (the empty cart corral was on the spot on the other side of her car) rolls her empty cart right into the spot I was pulling into. She almost hit the car on the other side. I rolled down my window and said "Excuse me. I want to thank you for giving me a cart to use, but it is generally easier to use it when it is not right in the middle of the parking space." She glared at me and said "I can put my cart any d*** place I please. What are you going to do about it?" I just said "That's fine. but when I move the cart out of the way to park it might just accidentally scratch all of the way down the side of your car on the way out of the spot. That kind of thing seems to happen when people don't put their carts in the corral. It damages cars. That's why the corrals are there." She got all huffy and moved the cart.

The rest of my shopping trip went pretty much the same way. I was exhausted and was not afraid to tell people what I thought though.

Old 11-18-2012, 08:19 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
I was at the store yesterday, and I encountered a family of two parents and eight kids, ranging in age from teens to toddlers, and three carts. They were swarming everywhere! You couldn't just dash a few aisles down to avoid them; they were like worker ants moving out from the queen.

I'd hate to see their grocery bill.

Old 11-18-2012, 08:54 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I was at the store yesterday, and I encountered a family of two parents and eight kids, ranging in age from teens to toddlers, and three carts. They were swarming everywhere! You couldn't just dash a few aisles down to avoid them; they were like worker ants moving out from the queen.

I'd hate to see their grocery bill.
This peeve reminds me of a couple of times when I have seen people take their kids to the store and then shortly before they are ready to go to the checkout lines, gave their kids an item or two and have them hold a place in separate lines for them.

I once saw a woman do this with two of her kids. Then she went into the shortest line where she had left one of her kids while he went and got the other one standing in the longer line to come join them. Imagine what those parents could do with those eight kids minus the toddlers of course.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:17 PM

1,424 posts, read 5,337,516 times
Most times things are fine, although I find lots more out of stock items now than in recent years. Their managing inventory so sparingly drives me nuts. "No, we're out of it, but a truck comes in tonight..." (I hear this every time!)

But my real pet peeve conveys to other places as well: people with their cell phones carrying on long and loud conversations, broadcasting their conversations boisterously amid the aisles. I don't mind the "hey do we need paper towels?" Type phone talkers. But getting behind a serial loud talker irks me.

Maybe I'm just jealous they can shop and talk simultaneously. I struggle to walk while chewing gum.

Old 11-19-2012, 12:27 AM

16 posts, read 27,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Oh, this is a biggie for me! I'm barely 5' -- barely -- so those items on the top shelf? So out of my reach, I could cry.

What I love to do is this: The next shopper who comes along, and they're invariably taller than I am (how could they not be?), I ask "Can I borrow your height for a minute?"

For whatever reason, every single time I've done that, the person -- man or woman -- breaks into a huge smile and asks what it is that I need them to get down. It's not that I'm a child -- I'm 47 -- so it's not like they think they're helping out a kid, so there must be some pleasure in being taller than someone else (I'll, of course, NEVER KNOW THAT FEELING! ). In fact, one man who had helped me kept appearing in subsequent aisles that I was in and he'd smile and ask "Just let me know if you need my height again!" I felt like quite the damsel in distress.
That is so cute!

Old 11-19-2012, 01:10 AM

16 posts, read 27,368 times
As a kid, I used to enjoy grocery shopping with my mom because I got to look at all the food.

Now as an adult, I can understand why so many people hate it.

Here is my list (sorry for repeating the ones already listed):

-stocking clerks that take up half the aisle
-people that stand in the middle of the aisle with their carts to talk with their friends(!)
-finding what's on my list is rotten or expired
-finding dairy items in the cereal aisle
-people that feel they have the right to sample by opening up a container then placing it back on the shelf
-people that let their little kids run wild (back in my day I sat in the cart or hold my mom's hand)
-those pesky bags that don't open in the produce section
-seeing the check-out lines stretch out to the aisles
-dividers that are left by the cashier rather than at the back of the conveyer belt
-when I'm still unloading my cart and basket, and the person behind me starts unloading.Um hello, can't you see that I haven't placed the divider and that I'm hunched over, still placing items onto the belt?
-when old ladies make disputes about the prices with the cashier. If the item is still under $2, I personally wouldn't bother. And if it is a concern, address it to the information desk rather then clog up the line.
-baggers that don't place cold items together (rotisserie chicken with the cheese?!), put the house cleaning items with the eggs, put all the heavy items in one bag...I also mention that I can pack my own bags, and some of them give me a smug look.

Old 11-19-2012, 06:13 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by num1baby View Post
I had a rough day today and had to stop by the grocery store on the way home. I swear I ran into every peeve here in one 10 minute trip. I see a spot so I start to turn into it when the lady parked in the next spot (the empty cart corral was on the spot on the other side of her car) rolls her empty cart right into the spot I was pulling into. She almost hit the car on the other side. I rolled down my window and said "Excuse me. I want to thank you for giving me a cart to use, but it is generally easier to use it when it is not right in the middle of the parking space." She glared at me and said "I can put my cart any d*** place I please. What are you going to do about it?" I just said "That's fine. but when I move the cart out of the way to park it might just accidentally scratch all of the way down the side of your car on the way out of the spot. That kind of thing seems to happen when people don't put their carts in the corral. It damages cars. That's why the corrals are there." She got all huffy and moved the cart.

The rest of my shopping trip went pretty much the same way. I was exhausted and was not afraid to tell people what I thought though.
Haha, glad the cart didn't accidentally scrape up her car.

Some of you folks are reeeally irritable!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink