Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2012, 02:20 PM

607 posts, read 1,393,127 times

Advertisements

People stopping their car at the doors to the grocery store to let their wife/kids/whoever out, which always happens when it's busy, which thereby backs up traffic because I and everybody else behind me can't get around this guy because there are cars coming in the opposite direction. It's not a bus stop. Let's keep it moving.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:45 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,946,672 times
How about this?? People who get out of their car(s), move a cart, pull into the now-vacant spot and leave the cart in the next spot over. What's up with that? I usually take one of the errant carts floating around the parking lot into the store and use it to shop. I then dutifully return it to the corral or back to the store entrance if I'm going to patronize another business in the same center. But I've seen people walk past a half-dozen carts in favor of taking one that has been racked in the store lobby.

Another peeve: One can usually see carts abandoned next to the handicap parking spots. And yet the stores don't seem to want to put a corral close to those spaces. By their very nature, handicap spaces are there to save those folks a few steps to the store entrance. Why, then, would any right-thinking person assume an infirm person can walk half-way across the lot to a corral?

My son once brought his brand new car to show it to me. It had 55 miles on it. We went to a market and when we came out, a loose cart had left a lovely ding in the the passenger door as it hit. How do you think he felt?

Old 11-20-2012, 09:59 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,901,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
The one I deal with seemingly every time I go is the person with a cart full of groceries paying for it in multiple transactions. ("I'd like to pay for this part separately, and then this part separately")
Being a cashier I deal with this every day. It really isn't all that complicated, or take that much time...as long as there's nothing wrong with the cards. I have some people who pay with part cash/EBT card/debit card. Some don't realize that an EBT card will ONLY deduct the food and the balance can be paid in any manner they choose. They think they HAVE to do it all separately.

Old 11-20-2012, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by it_serpent View Post
Right along with that is the person who pays for things with checks. Hello, this is 2012 and checks are basically unnecessary, espcially when you're holding up the line asking how to spell the name of the market and then balance your checkbook right there. That is what the debit aka "check card" is for.
The people I see writing checks are mostly older people. At Walmart you don't have to do anything to a check, but hand it to the cashier who puts it into the checkwriter. Don't even have to sign it. They get it back, all filled out AND their reciept so they COULD fill it in later but they don't. What they tell me is that they will "forget". Sigh. If it's a new customer, or a renewal, it'll take a few seconds longer to enter the ID and phone number but it's not like it takes a long time to process.

Personally I think a LOT of people need to learn a tad of patience. If our card reader doesn't process in two seconds they get mad at the 'machine' or think they did something wrong. They don't bother to follow the prompts on the screen either. That's a BIG problem with self checkout machines.

Old 11-20-2012, 10:05 AM

2,194 posts, read 3,847,469 times
Hi all--

1) The guy/gal in front with a brand-new iPhone and nicer clothing than I wear using an EBT card for $200 of food, and then the card declines or doesn't charge towards everything, and then whoever it is throws a fit at the cashier.

2) Long lines. Especially at Wal-Mart when I've got just two items in my hand.

3) When people use the front door area to load/unload families. I can understand if they're trying to load a 300+lbs box into their car, but 99% of the time it's just families. This isn't a bus stop. Get going.

4) Crying babies/small children. It's why I never lasted more than a month at a cashier's job, even in high school/college. Seriously, get a sitter for $10 for the hour if you know the kid will cause a scene every time.

5) People who walk slow, blocking the whole aisle. Some of us have schedules to keep.

6) Somebody who deliberately double-parks their shiny new car to avoid having other cars parking next to them. Sometimes I feel like putting a cart right next to their car just to see their reaction when they come out.

Old 11-20-2012, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotaro View Post
Oh to tag onto the person about the chips, people who do the same with their drinks. A store with strict loss prevention can have you charged with theft if you consume before paying.
At the end of the day my trashcan will be FULL of empty containers and bags people left with me after they ate it all. BUT I'd rather have that than to find those empty containers/bags all over the store, or in the trash cans, that weren't paid for. The worst is food from the deli.. I think they should have their own cash register but apparently they can't. The best one was when a lady handed me two banana peels. I weighed them three times and charged her for that. I did tell her that she might consider getting the bananas then go to the express lanes...which are right NEXT to the produce...or self check, then she can eat them without guilt or worrying about it. And please dispose of the peels in the appropriate trash can. lol

Old 11-20-2012, 10:15 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
I agree fully, I will also not leave my kids alone in the car while I take the cart back. I do try to find parking NEXT to the cart return, but if there's none, and i have my kids with me, in no way will I leave the kids alone to return it. It is poor planning. They should have a MIDDLE LANE created between the parking lanes (in front of the cars) where you can park you cart. Simple as that. The next person coming, already has a cart right there. OR make a few parking lanes just for people with children, they already have handicapped parking, if people are so anal about the carts being left wherever, then write to your store and propose they assign a lane just for parents with children. The end.
Gee, I wonder how the rest of us have managed to raise kids and do our shopping without leaving carts just anywhere, and have for, oh, generations now, without special carts or special parking places for us, never mind special lanes. I wonder how so many people NOW manage to do this without leaving carts just anywhere for somebody else to clean up after them and to inconvenience other shoppers and damage the cars of others? (I can hear the screams now if YOUR car is damaged by someone else's sense of entitlement.)

Has nothing to do with being anal, and everything to do with being considerate of one's fellow shoppers. You might have had my sympathy until this post.

Old 11-20-2012, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGirlNoMore View Post
Ooooh, another pet peeve about baggers:

When they bag the bee spray or Lysol cleaner I bought along with ______________ (name any food item).
I agree about this. As a cashier, who does her own bagging, I am totally anal about how I do it. Mainly I do it for others the way I WANT it done for me and I'm very fussy about it. I do get compliments all the time for the way I do it. I've had people tell me to oh, just go ahead and put 'that' in 'there' and I won't do it. I tell them if THEY want to do that they are welcome to but I just won't.

I don't know about other stores but mine NEVER does any training on how to bag things and I think that's just too important to ignore. It sorta slows down my scan times but my customers are more important to me than an inflated number I am 'expected' to hit. I'm still faster than most anyway.

I am just thankful that I have common sense, which is really all it takes to be a good bagger.

Old 11-20-2012, 10:19 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I admit I sample grapes and I make no apologies for it. Why? Because grapes are either yummy and sweet or bitter/sour wastes of money. One stinking grape isn't going to make the store go bankrupt.

Clamshells, on the other hand, are off-limits as far as I'm concerned. I have never seen people do this but I know it MUST happen because it's not unusual for me to find a container of strawberries that is half-full. I weigh everything that comes in a clamshell container to make sure it hasn't been sampled to death and is below its posted weight.
Multiply that one grape by every shopper that comes through the store and you begin to understand one reason why our grocery prices are so high. I had "but what if everybody does it" and the consequences of thinking like "it's one stinking grape" before I was even five years old (had to do with picking a flower by the side of the road, I remember it clearly).

Old 11-20-2012, 10:23 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
I agree fully, I will also not leave my kids alone in the car while I take the cart back. I do try to find parking NEXT to the cart return, but if there's none, and i have my kids with me, in no way will I leave the kids alone to return it. It is poor planning. They should have a MIDDLE LANE created between the parking lanes (in front of the cars) where you can park you cart. Simple as that. The next person coming, already has a cart right there. OR make a few parking lanes just for people with children, they already have handicapped parking, if people are so anal about the carts being left wherever, then write to your store and propose they assign a lane just for parents with children. The end.
Or I could propose that you climb down off the cross and park NEXT to the cart corral so you don't have to leave your precious snowflakes unattended. Special parking for parents? I'd park there on general principle just to make a point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Multiply that one grape by every shopper that comes through the store and you begin to understand one reason why our grocery prices are so high. I had "but what if everybody does it" and the consequences of thinking like "it's one stinking grape" before I was even five years old (had to do with picking a flower by the side of the road, I remember it clearly).
*shrug* I do it in front of store employees, other people do it, my mother did it when she took us grocery shopping with her and she's certainly not a criminal. I doubt a few sampled grapes is as big a deal to my local Kroger as people stealing far more expensive items...which is but only one of the reasons why prices have gone up so much. Commodities pricing is so complex that I refuse to accept blame for the price of anything because I sample 1-2 grapes a month. It's absurd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink