Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 05:05 PM

149 posts, read 268,466 times

Advertisements

Just wondering if anyone here has met any famous in the food world? I know Anthony Bourdain does speaking tours. Alton Brown does book signings tours when he released new ones. I sure some famous chefs even occasionally grace one of their restaurants with their presence.

Tell us about it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2012, 06:46 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,269,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by it_serpent View Post
Just wondering if anyone here has met any famous in the food world? I know Anthony Bourdain does speaking tours. Alton Brown does book signings tours when he released new ones. I sure some famous chefs even occasionally grace one of their restaurants with their presence
Yes, many. Sometimes just out walking around the streets like me, or hitting the same market. Even worked with a few. The key to remember is that they're underneath the celebrity they're just people, so the best way to interact with them is through shared appreciation, not awestruckness.

And here's a little trick, for them that likes tricks... if you are in a restaurant and the *Famous Chef* pops by your table to see how everything is, asking if you can buy them a glass of wine is way cooler than asking for an autograph. And if they don't pop by, asking your server if you can buy the chef a glass of wine is a great way to get them to pop by.

It seems counter-intuitive, that asking if you can buy a glass of wine for a person who can have all they want for free is any big deal, but it is. They're real people. Real expressions of appreciation make them feel good.

Old 11-14-2012, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Yes, many. Sometimes just out walking around the streets like me, or hitting the same market. Even worked with a few. The key to remember is that they're underneath the celebrity they're just people, so the best way to interact with them is through shared appreciation, not awestruckness.

And here's a little trick, for them that likes tricks... if you are in a restaurant and the *Famous Chef* pops by your table to see how everything is, asking if you can buy them a glass of wine is way cooler than asking for an autograph. And if they don't pop by, asking your server if you can buy the chef a glass of wine is a great way to get them to pop by.

It seems counter-intuitive, that asking if you can buy a glass of wine for a person who can have all they want for free is any big deal, but it is. They're real people. Real expressions of appreciation make them feel good.

We're looking for names amd stories here, not etiquette tips. Make with the goods!

Old 11-14-2012, 07:48 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,944,018 times
Have met a few at cookbook signings and at their restaurants, but those were just perfunctory. The most engaging was Paul Prudhomme back in the early 90s when he was doing a cooking demo at my hotel in Mexico City. The demo was over and he had nothing specific to do so we just hung out for awhile. Really sweet guy and very accessible.

Old 11-14-2012, 08:06 PM

1,413 posts, read 4,468,993 times
Everyday, his name is Momotaro.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
Have met a few at cookbook signings and at their restaurants, but those were just perfunctory. The most engaging was Paul Prudhomme back in the early 90s when he was doing a cooking demo at my hotel in Mexico City. The demo was over and he had nothing specific to do so we just hung out for awhile. Really sweet guy and very accessible.
That's awesome. He seems like a jolly fellow when I've saw him on TV years ago.

Old 11-15-2012, 03:26 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,645,232 times
Charlie Trotter.

Nice guy, but serious.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:04 PM

1,566 posts, read 2,147,714 times
I just met Ina Garten (Barefoot Contessa) this week at my work - she was in my neck of the woods. She is a lovely, classy and friendly lady. I really enjoyed seeing her. I got to talk to her and she signed my cookbook. I posted about this in the cooking shows thread.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:14 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,660,225 times
I met Prudhome when he was a cook for the the Brennans many years back, and I was passing through as an itinerant dishwasher. He was working on some of the ideas that would make him great one day.

Also met Julia Childs when she was in town and toured the restaurant where I was working as a prep cook.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:40 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,509,148 times
Martin Yan and Jacques Pepin at our local Asparagus Festival. Good guys. Martin Yan is a freak with his knife and ability to slam hundreds of ingredients together talking at lightning fast speed and make wonderful dishes. Especially back in the 1980's and 90's when he was in his prime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink