Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 12:36 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,865,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
Oysters Mignonette.
Ding - ding - ding - this is the winner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2015, 12:53 AM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Really??? I use garlic in my scampi recipes - no onions.
No onions in my scampi, either.

Old 10-06-2015, 04:43 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,851,796 times
I never substitute onions for shallots. Totally different flavor, and the recipe wouldn't be the same.

Shallots are cheap and easily available so why substitute?

Old 10-06-2015, 05:18 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Really??? I use garlic in my scampi recipes - no onions.
I do the same. To me, though there is a difference between onions and shallots, they can be intermixed, but the finished product will not be quite the same. I will add, one thing I don't think I would ever do is used onions in the place of a leek in potato leek soup.

Missiik999: I know prices can be all over the place, but here, in NWA the only place shallots are cheap is in the Asian market. Otherwise they are very expensive. When we venture to the Asian market (not often) and shallots are available we always buy them, but this isn't often. If we have them, I would not substitute.

Old 10-07-2015, 12:04 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,364,716 times
I actually don't like white/yellow onions, so i tend to substitute shallots or green onions in recipes, especially if they're supposed to be raw. Sometimes I'll even use chives then.

Some recipes really do require a specific onion type to taste right, but I've found them to be few and far between. and while I would use shallots to replace white/yellow onions, I'd never do the reverse. But that's personal preference.

Old 10-07-2015, 12:22 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,469,216 times
I don't think red onions have been mentioned. IMO they are the closest thing to shallots and actually look (and taste) very similar. It is what I use in a pinch. A pan sauce for steak au poivre comes to mind as something I would prefer to use shallots for.

Old 10-07-2015, 12:51 PM

2,894 posts, read 2,450,561 times
I've only substituted shallots with green onions (except for in the cases above) and I must say I agree with nmnita, shallots are NOT inexpensive where I live either.

Then again, I just paid way more for a dozen eggs yesterday than I did for a gallon of gas so...

Old 10-07-2015, 02:34 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,813,691 times
I actually interchange onions with shallots as I prefer the flavor of shallots. I get a huge bag from my local Asian market.

But in a pinch to sub for shallots, finely dicing the heck out of the onion, I would. But usually I would just do another recipe. And I would never switch out leek for onion.

Old 10-07-2015, 02:43 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,154,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
while searching recipes I sometimes see where leeks or shallots are specified and i'm wondering where I should definitely stick to the specified type of onion.
Bearnaise Sauce.

I use shallots, peppercorns and red wine vinegar.

There are many occasions when you can substitute green onions for leeks and red onions for shallots.

If you're trying to copy-cat a recipe, you should stick with the onion used. Some sauces that use leeks wouldn't work with green onions.

I think maybe you just have to know your onions a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
I don't think red onions have been mentioned. IMO they are the closest thing to shallots and actually look (and taste) very similar.
Okay.

Old 10-07-2015, 02:45 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy2U View Post
I've only substituted shallots with green onions (except for in the cases above) and I must say I agree with nmnita, shallots are NOT inexpensive where I live either.

Then again, I just paid way more for a dozen eggs yesterday than I did for a gallon of gas so...
I have to smile and then cry when you mention eggs: luckily our Farmers market has a guy that sells fresh free range eggs for $3 a dozen: just went up from $2.50. The problem, our farmers market will be closing or the winter in about 4 weeks. I guess I will have to join the "I paid for eggs club"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink