Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 09:48 AM

1,899 posts, read 2,847,857 times

Advertisements

I worked as a hostess in a restaurant while I was in college. We were responsible for disinfecting all menus before they went back with the clean ones (as well as we could at least). Our bussers also wiped all of the seats, tables, vases, condiments, etc that were on the tables between each seating with a disinfectant. I know it isn't foolproof, but it was better than some restaurants.

I also believe in exposing ourselves to some germs to build up an immunity. We were much more careful during cold and flu season though. Remember, we had to touch everything that EVERY customer touched. It was very hard to not get sick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2012, 09:56 AM

1,276 posts, read 1,928,622 times
The grocery cart is a treasure trove of bacteria. The handles, the "baby seat" in the front of the cart is especially crawling with germs (think about it: baby sits in seat, gets leaky diaper, etc.). I wonder if these carts are ever disinfected? On the other hand, I hardly worry about germs and rarely get sick. It seems those who worry about it more get sick more. I know that sounds so naive and non-scientific---but your mind is a powerful actualizer!

Old 11-17-2012, 02:39 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,705,901 times
I think people are too paranoid these days. Whatever it is, touch it. It wont kill you.

Old 11-17-2012, 02:41 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,431,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Remember things haven't changed over the years, we just are more aware of these things because of 24/7 coverage. How often do you go to a church pot luck or a neighborhood gathering? DO you have any idea what types of kitchens the people who prepare the food might have? A few germs isn't going to hurt any of us. In fact going the other way can be more hazardess to our health...and don't believe everything you read. I am old enough to remember a few stories that would turn your stomach: the catch is, they were, for the most part not true..
Some things haven't changed but the quality of the food has gotten a LOT worse. Look at all the genetically engineered ingredients in everything. If you shop in a regular grocery store, 75% of their stock has genetically modified ingredients in it. I won't eat at chain restaurants and am now considering passing on going to independently owned places unless I know the food is at minimum GMO free if not local and organic. Institute for Responsible Technology - GMO Dangers

Also 61 other nations recognize this and label their foods yet our Federal Government is completely spineless when it comes to the food industry. Rather than clamping down and insisting on labeling the dangers, they do just the opposite and pass laws enabling the contamination of the food supply by companies like Monsanto to continue. Obama even appointed an ex CEO of Monsanto to be the Food "Safety" Czar after the so called Food Safety Modernization Act was passed. It had zero to do with food safety by the way.

Old 11-17-2012, 05:28 PM

16,386 posts, read 30,199,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
Some things haven't changed but the quality of the food has gotten a LOT worse. Look at all the genetically engineered ingredients in everything. If you shop in a regular grocery store, 75% of their stock has genetically modified ingredients in it. I won't eat at chain restaurants and am now considering passing on going to independently owned places unless I know the food is at minimum GMO free if not local and organic. Institute for Responsible Technology - GMO Dangers

You have cross-posted this message on about fifteen DIFFERENT threads, whether relevant or not to the topic.

Old 11-17-2012, 06:36 PM

1,220 posts, read 2,677,438 times
We eat out all the time, (work out like crazy to stay slim, however), and have yet to get sick.

Old 11-17-2012, 06:42 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,389,883 times
I got sick from eating only once and it was when I went camping. Never become ill from when I went to a restaurant. Sanitation is pretty high standard in restaurants here.

Old 11-17-2012, 09:22 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,548,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post

Also 61 other nations recognize this and label their foods yet our Federal Government is completely spineless when it comes to the food industry. Rather than clamping down and insisting on labeling the dangers, they do just the opposite and pass laws enabling the contamination of the food supply by companies like Monsanto to continue. Obama even appointed an ex CEO of Monsanto to be the Food "Safety" Czar after the so called Food Safety Modernization Act was passed. It had zero to do with food safety by the way.
About that: I got a mailing today saying the signature on my absentee voter registration had changed, so they wanted me to fill out a new one. (which probably means they didn't count my vote) I took this as an opportunity to change my party from Republican. I looked up American Independent party, and on their platform they are against food labelling. I decided to check Libertarian instead.

I don't eat out, and do wipe the grocery basket, mainly because kids sit in them.

Old 11-17-2012, 09:31 PM

1,802 posts, read 2,919,665 times
Hand sanitizers are useless just another item to buy, washing the hands thoroughly with soap and water before touching food and before eating out is the key.

Old 11-17-2012, 10:25 PM

23,162 posts, read 28,940,213 times
I glance over the Restaurant report in the Wednesday Taste Section, every so often, to see the list of resturants that were periodically closed, which got the most demerits, and the reasons being, and I have to say, it gets a bit scarey, at times, to read through them, like a nuked cockroach found in a microwave at a fast food restaurant! But even the 4-5 star restaurants on the Las Vegas Strip get their share of demerits over time, and briefly closed!

But, I've traveled to many 3rd world countries, even eaten street food in India, public eating pavillions in Latin America, and if I had read their restaurant reports, when visiting there, I probably would have starved to death!

I agree, germs can fortify your immune system!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink