Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 03:55 PM

61,256 posts, read 86,144,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
Sure, just don't let it bake.

See? I'm learning already!!!

??? why??
Isn't that dough ready to bake?? You see... I have no clue about them, machines!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2012, 04:20 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,617,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
??? why??
Isn't that dough ready to bake?? You see... I have no clue about them, machines!
Nope, it's not "ready to bake" frozen loaves or some such thing. It's real deal raw ingredients you "make it" bread that the machine just does all the work of making/baking.

There are several bread machines today that will do a good job if you do a good job of getting the right ingredients into the machine to finish up with.

IMO the two "best" on the market of average price are......
Amazon.com: Panasonic SD-YD250 Automatic Bread Maker: Kitchen & Dining

-or-

Amazon.com: Cuisinart CBK-100 2-Pound Programmable Breadmaker: Kitchen & Dining

if you get real serious about bread making it's time to move up to a "Zojirushi" brand machine.
Amazon.com: Zojirushi BB-CEC20 Home Bakery Supreme 2-Pound-Loaf Breadmaker, Black: Kitchen & Dining

Old 11-18-2012, 01:08 AM

61,256 posts, read 86,144,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
Sure, just don't let it bake.

See? I'm learning already!!!
Inspired by this yummy thread, I bought me a breadmaker today, but I am still confused...

You get the bread machine, put all the right ingredients in, and start the machine. After a while your dough is ready and risen... OK... I think I am understanding it so far... but what happen after that?
You have to take the dough out the bucket and put into a bread form ( or just form it with your hands, or make rolls ) and put into your oven and bake? no??
You just said (above) don't let it bake...

Old 11-18-2012, 02:06 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,057,891 times
What does a bread making machine do that a bread pan doesnt..

Old 11-18-2012, 02:26 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,411,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
A bread machine mixes the dry and wet ingredients together, kneads it, lets it rise and cooks it, does a pan do that???

Old 11-18-2012, 05:04 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,258,240 times
OK! I have also been entertaining the idea of getting one, BUT:
Do YOU make the dough in one bowl, and then use the machine to bake it? OR do you pour everything in the machine and the machine mixes everything and bakes it? or you have to take it OUT of the machine and use an oven to bake it!?? and does the bread (considering there's yest involved), still has to sit and grow before is baked?

I don't understand how this works exactly....sorry for the totally silly questions...TX.

Old 11-18-2012, 05:06 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,258,240 times
Isn't it hard to mix the dough with your bare hands? I have no power in my hands for kneading anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post

Old 11-18-2012, 06:23 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,057,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
A bread machine mixes the dry and wet ingredients together, kneads it, lets it rise and cooks it, does a pan do that???

I have the wherewithall to mix ingredients together, i have the strength to knead a dough,it rises by itself and my oven works quite well for cooking things in pans.And i like the hands on experience of actually making the bread.
I guess i'm just old fashioned, what do these bread machines cost?

Last edited by jambo101; 11-18-2012 at 07:34 AM..

Old 11-18-2012, 08:08 AM

41,764 posts, read 74,766,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
You get the bread machine, put all the right ingredients in, and start the machine. After a while your dough is ready and risen... OK... I think I am understanding it so far... but what happen after that?
The breadmaker will bake the bread for you, too ... or not, if you want to take the dough out of the breadmaker pan and bake it in the oven. The instructions should tell you how to do this option.

The reason some people take the bread out of the breadmaker pan and bake it in the oven is because they don't like the shape of the loaf -- it's kinda high and square, not long and low like if you'd bake it in a traditional bread pan.

Other criticisms I've heard of bread machines is that the crust never gets dark enough; I always set the crust color on "dark".

Old 11-18-2012, 08:17 AM

236 posts, read 425,484 times
got my wife a cuisinart she still can't bake bread lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink