Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 07:29 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnomancer View Post
sugar most definitely causes depression irritability and rage, this isnt a guess , I deal with it
This is what's called anecdotal evidence. Have you eliminated all other possible causes in a scientific manner, and have you replicated this with a large number of people, who don't know if they're getting sugar or not?

I have hypoglycaemia. It can cause irritability and, sometimes, rage, due to a sudden drop in blood sugar. However, it's not sugar that's causing it, and it doesn't happen to the population in general, only those of us who happen to have this particular physical make-up. So I don't blame the sugar that causes no problems of this kind for most people for my own problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 07:53 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times
With Hamburger Helper, it might be the MSG which is contributing to your possible depression--it's got a lot of side effects...

Old 04-21-2009, 07:54 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times
Anyone ever read a book from a while ago called Sugar Blues???

Old 04-21-2009, 08:08 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Interestingly, MSG does nothing to me but make food taste better. And I know a few people who are "allergic" to MSG only when they know they're eating it, and who love, love, LOVE some of my dishes that actually have MSG in them and have no side effects when they eat them. (I didn't feed it to someone who was allergic to it on purpose, only found out they were "allergic" after they'd eaten the dish several times with no ill effects.)

Again, some people have a bad reaction to MSG, some people have a bad reaction to sugar, but it's not those things that cause the problem, if it were, they would cause the problem in most people, not just those with a physical condition that causes them to be reactive to something other people aren't. (Sort of like my husband gets stung by a wasp and it hurts and he goes on; I get stung by a wasp and it's pull out the Benadryl and the epipen time and I have a huge swelling for several days. It's not the wasp, it's me.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink