Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2019, 05:44 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Thanksgiving at our home is turkey (though I pretty much just do a breast or buy a smoked one), cornbread dressing, sweet potatoes, green beans, etc. Pretty much like what I grew up on, except I make the cranberry sauce myself. Funny thing is mama made everything from scratch, except the cranberries; that came from a can.

When I was growing up mom did a turkey and ham for Christmas. However for our family our Christmas tradition is not to do the same thing we did last year. I've done turkey, ham, roast beef, lamb. Couple years ago we did pheasant. My in laws however are very picky eaters and set in their ways. So when the come for Christmas, I have to do a turkey breast as well.
Just our of curiosity why the breast only? The dark meat has so much flavor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2019, 02:23 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,531,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Our Christmas eve is always tamales.
Ours is too: tamales, a big raw veggie tray, and a bottle of hearty red wine.

Christmas Day is finger/snack foods all day. In the morning I set out sausage balls, deviled eggs, pigs-in-blankets, and fruit. Throughout the day we have a variety of 'gourmet' cheeses, crackers, stuffed jalapenos, olives, finger sandwiches, raw/roasted veggies & dips, etc., along with whatever sweet treats people have gifted us. Usually there are enough gifted cookies & candy that we don't do any baking.
We keep a red wine wassail and a cider wassail (both made with a mulling mix I order from Biltmore Estates in NC) going in crockpots.

Thanksgiving we're full blown traditional turkey, ham, and sides.

New Year's Eve we eat out, usually at a place that serves decent steak.

New Year's Day is kielbasa, cabbage, black-eyed peas, and cornbread.

Old 11-29-2019, 04:37 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,503,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Just our of curiosity why the breast only? The dark meat has so much flavor.
I do the same, because we are a small family and even the breast makes a lot of leftovers. I’m more about the sides though.

At my big family thanksgiving, a whole turkey was served.

Old 11-29-2019, 04:47 PM

19,803 posts, read 9,357,559 times
Yes. Turkey for Thanksgiving and Prime Rib for Christmas Eve. (Leftovers on Christmas Day.)

Old 11-29-2019, 10:07 PM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
It seems to me that Prime Rib, or steak, is turning into the traditional Christmas main entree for a lot of people.

I wonder if more people are moving away from ham? Growing up in the 1960's and 1970's, it was always Christmas ham, at our house and for everyone we knew. Often from the Honey Baked Ham store. But as a family, we just rarely have a taste for pork much anymore (we do still love a little bit of bacon or livermush on occasion, though!).
We never had, have, ham at Christmas. Mom made a pork roast every second or third year.

I eat bacon once in a while, but that's about it for pork. In the 1960s, pork was fatty and juicy. I loved those pork roasts.

Old 11-30-2019, 05:17 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I do the same, because we are a small family and even the breast makes a lot of leftovers. I’m more about the sides though.

At my big family thanksgiving, a whole turkey was served.
That does make sense. I can remember, many years ago, just a few years before he died, my dad telling me he had ordered a 1/2 of turkey from the local grocery store It was just he and my step mom that year and it was plenty for them plus enough left for sandwiches and home made turkey soup

Old 11-30-2019, 09:31 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,256,669 times
It used to be the same every year. Then we started to have Honey Baked ham on Christmas for something different. But had to have turkey too because one daughter hates ham.

I think this year I might try Beef Wellington. I've never made it before so I'll have to do practice run(s) before Christmas.

Old 11-30-2019, 06:49 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Christmas food varies more for me than Thanksgiving dinner, which is pretty tradition-bound.
We don't do a formal sit - down feast, because of family and church activities...we do more of an open house buffet type spread... charcuterie, soup buffet, hors d'oevres, etc.

I love soup bar the most... Usually a crock pot of chili, one of a cream based soup/chowder, one of a clear broth based soup, several fresh baked breads, homemade compound butter with herbs from the garden, cracker assortment, etc.

Old 11-30-2019, 07:53 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,191,341 times
We live in Arizona. It is a time-honored tradition to have tamales on Christmas Eve.

Old 11-30-2019, 08:47 PM

22,845 posts, read 6,437,040 times
Thanksgiving turkey dinner again, we usually don't fix it at other times so it's still special. I get the butterball turkey breast, it's small but there's only the two of us. They have one now that doesn't even need to be thawed...Dressing, mashed potatoes and gravy, vegetable, cranberry sauce and pie rounds out the meal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink