Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 11:15 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,428,088 times

Advertisements

You can pasteurize the eggs, in the shell, in 5 minutes or so.

Put them in a pot of water. Heat the water to 140 F and hold it there for 3 minutes. Jumbo size take 5 minutes. Run cold water into the pot to cool them down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 12:04 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,688,647 times
Thanks! Will the eggs still be completely runny and "raw-like," or will they be soft-boiled?

Old 11-26-2012, 03:47 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,238,832 times
How to pasteurize eggs at home « Baking Bites

Shell Eggs from Farm to Table | USDA Food Safety and Inspection Service

My concern would be the difficulty in maintaining the precise water temp when trying to Pasteurize eggs at home.

Old 11-26-2012, 03:51 PM

32,636 posts, read 47,995,345 times
You can buy pasteurized eggs if you are worried about it.

Old 11-26-2012, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Thanks! Will the eggs still be completely runny and "raw-like," or will they be soft-boiled?
If done right, they will be the same consistency as raw eggs. That's how they can sell pasteurized eggs for normal use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
My concern would be the difficulty in maintaining the precise water temp when trying to Pasteurize eggs at home.
It's not hard as long as you have a good thermometer, like an InstaRead ($10) or a good digital ($ 10 - 30). Turn the heat down as soon as the water hits the right temp, and it will usually cruise at that temp for the indicated time. The only adjustment needed would be if the water temp dropped below 138 F before you had completed the indicated time, in which case you'd have to start over.

If the water gets a little too hot, say 150 F, no harm done. But much higher temps or much longer times and you'll be into soft-boiled range in no time.

Old 11-26-2012, 07:11 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,760,922 times
About the only place I've found pasteurized is places like Whole Foods and other natural food stores. I've never seen them in regular grocery stores around here. I used to buy them occasionally to use when I made brownies or cakes just so my kids could lick the bowl. I'd always let them do it, but then we started hearing all the talk of how dangerous it was, so I stopped until I could find pasteurized ones, but they were really expensive. After thinking about it I realized that in my key lime pie recipe, cooking was optional, and I never did it. No one ever got sick from it. My kids had never gotten sick before so I quit buying the pasteurized ones and just went back to the plain old eggs. Never a problem.

Old 11-26-2012, 10:33 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,289,544 times
I've eaten a lot of raw cookie dough (homemade) without worries. I don't eat raw eggs in other forms because they are goopy and slimy, not because they are dangerous.

The dangerous foods, if you go by numbers of people sickened or numbers of scares each year, are peanut butter, alfalfa sprouts, spinach, tomatoes, and cantaloupe.

Old 11-26-2012, 11:09 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,244,551 times
I just ate my 2nd bad egg in 10 years last week, almost went to the emergency room. Eating a bad egg is not just being a little nauseous, it was quite painful.

Old 11-26-2012, 11:39 PM

First, you can be reassured that eggs are generally safe to eat in the US. Although an estimated 1 in 4 Americans suffer food poisoning each year, resulting in 325,000 hospitalizations and about 5,000 deaths, less than 1% are attributed to eating eggs.

Normally only about 1 out of every 20,000 eggs carries salmonella. Even if you happened to eat one of those rare contaminated eggs raw, the chances are excellent that your immune system could knock it down with little more than experiencing a bit of "flu."

Before the big salmonella epidemic with eggs happened a couple of years ago, the shell was considered the main threat. Raw chicken eggs were sterile inside, but the shell could harbor salmonella if not properly washed. That's why you should never use a cracked egg, because the crack can let infection seep in to the sterile inside, where it can grow rapidly.

Then, through a series of mishaps back in 2010, the eggs themselves got contaminated at two farms which had wide distribution, and before it was over a couple thousand illnesses had been reported and a half million eggs were recalled.

In the aftermath of that mess, regulations concerning egg handling were tightened up, particularly in the way the eggs are washed and the way they're tested, and today eggs are safer than they were before.

It's still best not to serve raw eggs to infants, or the elderly, or to anyone with a compromised immune system, but the rest of us really have little to worry about. And pasteurized shell eggs remove the last of the worry.

Old 11-27-2012, 04:29 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,622,555 times
I can't say I have ever worried about it.

I always use raw egg yolk in things like Chocolate Mousse, Tiramisu, Mayonnaise, Hollandaise, Bearnaise, or a raw egg yolk on Steak Tartare or Ham and Cheese Crepes and have never had any problems since childhood.

I suppose pasteurising egg seems like a good idea though if you are worried about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink