Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 05:12 PM

997 posts, read 1,061,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
Not a fan of candy.. if Im going to consume extra calories it will be from eggnog or pumpkin pie. Fudge is good though... well made fudge.... can be added to the list.
I'm not really a candy person either. My extra calories around the holidays come from Christmas cookies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 06:51 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
LOL I was just about to post barley sugar clear toys when you beat me to it. One of them lasted forever! I remember taking one to bed with me and my Gram nearly had a fit when she had to get it unstuck from my hair!
We used to get those, too.

I'll bet that was better than getting gum stuck in your hair.

Old 10-14-2014, 07:59 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,421,785 times
I remember those old-fashioned candies my grandma used to get at Christmas. They were assorted: ribbon candy, little raspberries filled with jam, little cylinders with a picture inside and waffle-looking squares. Most of them were spice flavored and so, as a child I didn't care for them, but they were so much fun to look at!

And we used to get something we called "angel candy." It was in cubes, covered with chocolate and inside it was a tan-colored honeycomb. Haven't been able to find it for years. But one day on line I discovered that it's a specialty of Buffalo, New York where they call it something else.

Here I make caramels and key lime fudge with macademia nuts for Christmas.

Old 10-14-2014, 08:10 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I remember those old-fashioned candies my grandma used to get at Christmas. They were assorted: ribbon candy, little raspberries filled with jam, little cylinders with a picture inside and waffle-looking squares. Most of them were spice flavored and so, as a child I didn't care for them, but they were so much fun to look at!

And we used to get something we called "angel candy." It was in cubes, covered with chocolate and inside it was a tan-colored honeycomb. Haven't been able to find it for years. But one day on line I discovered that it's a specialty of Buffalo, New York where they call it something else.

That sounds heavenly!

Old 10-15-2014, 08:17 AM

12,040 posts, read 8,421,785 times
Thanks, Mightyqueen801. I'll share if you like.

Old 10-15-2014, 09:22 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
We used to get this clearish colored barley sugar candy that came in different shapes. It was so delicious. I haven't seen it in years now.
Wow that's going wayback in my childhood. Would you like some clove gum with that also.

Old 10-15-2014, 09:44 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Thanks, Mightyqueen801. I'll share if you like.
Please! DM me if you don't want to post it. Thank you.

Old 10-15-2014, 11:30 AM

2,794 posts, read 2,933,605 times
Something about Christmas times and Hershey Kisses.... and also red/green M+M's.

I rarely have any of these items throughout the year except for Xmas times!

Old 10-15-2014, 02:29 PM

2,294 posts, read 3,429,640 times
Christmas is a time when I love getting treats from home, so we enjoy Cadubury's Roses, Quality Street, Rose & Lemon Turkish delight, Terry's chocolate oranges and After Eight mints.

Quality Street

https://www.cadbury.co.uk/products/Roses-2411?p=2411

Old 10-15-2014, 03:01 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,315,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicshark View Post
For me Christmas candy is all the old fashioned hard candies. I love the ribbon candy, root beer barrels, those round peppermint and spearmint candies, etc. Also since my parents always bought Andes mints and those butter mints around the holidays, they remind me of Christmas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Everything but the root beer barrels for me. We had those in the summer.
Quote:

Yes, first thing I thought of when I saw this thread; it brings back wonderful memories of a simpler time.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink