Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 08:44 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
ROOKIE MISTAKES!!!!

You must prebake your pie crust
It's hard to bake a pie crust before filling it when you buy the whole thing assembled from the grocery store, as the OP described.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 08:46 AM

4,534 posts, read 4,930,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohirette View Post
I like that the bottom crust absorbs moisture and become soft. There is plenty of crispness and flakiness on the top and around the fluted edges.

If you don't like that, you can seal the bottom with a complimentary layer of low moisture - white or dark chocolate comes to mind. Harder with whole fruit pies, though.

You can prebake, such as one poster mentions, but how exactly you'd prebake a lattice topped pie crust bottom and then manage to get the lattice to join neatly at the edges is beyond me. I suggest prebaking only for single crust pies.

If you are buying premade pies, I don't know that there is much you can do.
It's not that hard. Apple pie w/ prebaked bottom and lattice crust:

Old 11-30-2012, 08:48 AM

20,936 posts, read 28,426,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
So, it's glazed crockery? You don't prebake? I have never heard of not prebaking the bottom crust. Some put tin foil around the fluted edges so as not to overcook them.
I have never pre-baked any pie crust.

Old 11-30-2012, 09:16 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,953,306 times
Well, everybody fall down laughing - When I was a new housewife, very very new, I found a recipe for a lemon pie. I was raised by a grandmother who was a master at pie-baking but not at letting me in the kitchen when she did it. The recipe told me to "blind bake" the crust with a layer of beans. So I did. Unfortunately, it didn't tell me not to put the beans directly onto the pie crust. I knew when I took it out of the oven that it wasn't going to be a very good pie with all those beans baked into the crust. I'm not stupid.

Old 11-30-2012, 09:46 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
I've been pre baking the bottom for years with the same bag of rice. Also I make quiches and pot pies and always use a silicon ring which goes around the edge and covers the fluted edge. I don't even remove it at all and it still gets baked nice and golden. I finally bought it after flipping around with tin foil pieces which fell off and didn't stay in place.

Old 11-30-2012, 12:40 PM

3,528 posts, read 6,530,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Does the box say to put them in the oven at home to finish baking them?
I don't know, I don't have the containers any more.

By way, those pie containers are a pain to open. The top plastic thing is wedged into the bottom thing so you have to squeeze it or maybe cut it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink