Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of the following kitchen gadgets do you have?
Rice cooker 32 42.11%
Quesadilla maker 4 5.26%
Pasta machine 9 11.84%
Bread maker 27 35.53%
Waffle iron 39 51.32%
Meat dehydrator 5 6.58%
Sandwich toaster 17 22.37%
George Foreman grill 28 36.84%
Slow cooker 66 86.84%
Pressure canner 14 18.42%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 08:22 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times

Advertisements

I still have my dad's rice cooker and he died almost 13 years ago.I don't know what I would do without it. I am thinking about getting a new one, but as long as this works why should I? We have 3 slow cookers, one for making large amount of soups etc for chruch or whan we have a dinner or luncheon here, one for smaller dishes (a 3quart) and a 1.5 which is perfect for the 2 of us...The one gadget I can imagine wasting money on, ever,would be a quesadilla maker.My feelings have always been, if you spend your hard earned money on gadgets, make sure you really will get a lot of use out of them. How many times do we make quesadillas? As for my George F or in my case, Black and decker, I love it. We use it in the winter at least once a week and maybe once or twice a month in the summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2012, 08:26 AM

20,935 posts, read 28,426,121 times
Yeah, you don't need a quesadilla make to make quesadillas, just use your fry pan. I had a george forman grill when they first came out and it had one setting "scorch" LOL I used it a few times but everything came out well done and dry. I gave it to someone a few years ago. I would like a pasta machine someday. I don't see a need for a bread maker as I prefer to make my breads the old fashioned way by hand.

Old 12-03-2012, 10:41 AM

1,192 posts, read 2,483,285 times
I love my rice cooker and use it for rice, steaming vegetables, and steaming tamales. My pasta machine is a manual type thing, and I use it for making homemade noodles and dough sheets to use with my ravioli maker gadget.

I have two electric egg poachers, neither of which is ever used anymore. I switched to the poach pods.

Another thing that I haven't pulled out for over two years is a big ol' honkin' meat slicer. It's great for making big platters for a buffet, but it's a pita to assemble and a bigger pita to clean.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:38 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
gave my bread maker to my daughter- she uses it infrequently
use my george foreman as panini press, cook hamburgers, chicken filets, everything, easy to clean
Santa brought a waffle iron just this week. working out which recipe to use
cook rice on the stove and have for 50 years
never even thought of a pasta maker ----who has time?

you know people have been cooking all sorts of wonderful meals without all these fancy and space eating appliances so i figure I've got everything I need.

Old 12-03-2012, 12:51 PM

509 posts, read 1,167,856 times
When our rice cooker broke we did stovetop rice for about a week. Noticible difference. Rice was more watery/soggy and not as "sticky" (even after completely draining). We got a new rice cooker post haste.

The only ones we had were rice cooker, waffle iron, and pressure cooker.

Old 12-03-2012, 12:55 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Can I count my wife as a "rice cooker"? I do not need any appliances, I just need to say "honey could you please make some rice?"

Old 12-03-2012, 01:53 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Yeah, you don't need a quesadilla make to make quesadillas, just use your fry pan. I had a george forman grill when they first came out and it had one setting "scorch" LOL I used it a few times but everything came out well done and dry. I gave it to someone a few years ago. I would like a pasta machine someday. I don't see a need for a bread maker as I prefer to make my breads the old fashioned way by hand.
Our daughter had a pasta machine at one time. She and hubby loved it for about 6 months, then it got tied and old. I don't think they used it more than a few times after that; the novelty just wore off. As for the George F, maybe the new ones are better, but mine is about 5 or 6 years old and cooks our steak rare, our chicken perfeftly and the same with our pork chops. I do not care for the way they cook veggies though.

PennyLane, I used my egg poacher for about 3 or 4 years and decided I really prefer my eggs poached the old fashion way, in boiling water, so back to how mom and dad did it for us.

Old 12-03-2012, 02:43 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,888,406 times
Every time I hear about a pressure cooker, it reminds me of my grandmother, as she used her's all the time. Even when she heard about "Shake 'n Bake" (And I helped!!) for your chicken. Yup. She covered her chicken in Shake 'n Bake and then put it IN THE PRESSURE COOKER!!!

Old 12-03-2012, 03:02 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,110,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugepossum View Post
When our rice cooker broke we did stovetop rice for about a week. Noticible difference. Rice was more watery/soggy and not as "sticky" (even after completely draining). We got a new rice cooker post haste.

The only ones we had were rice cooker, waffle iron, and pressure cooker.
I bought a rice cooker when we moved because we had no oven/stove until today! YAY I had tried making rice in the microwave but it just wasn't getting done, so I splurged for $12 and it's actually not bad. Although I do prefer it on the stove. Watery/soggy rice on the stove -oh my, what are you doing?

1 - 2- 2 = 1C rice, 2 C water, 22 min after it reaches a boil, cover and reduce to the lowest simmer (I also put a towel around the cover to absorb the steam. Rice is perfect every time - fluffy, just enough sticky and no extra water.

I own every gadget except the fajita press. I wore out my mother's pressure cooker and had to buy a new one. Can't imagine not having it. My first George was one of my most used gadgets ever, but the 2nd one was far less useful especially since it didn't have settings - I never had trouble cleaning either one. The third George is my favorite.

I have only 2 waffle makers (you got me beat, JJ), but my favorite is the belgian.

Bread maker is the only item I haven't used - I've been making bread for 40 years - I might be too old to switch at this point.

4 regular Crockpots in various sizes, include one that's 1 Cup size. Perfect for making and keeping dips hot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
Every time I hear about a pressure cooker, it reminds me of my grandmother, as she used her's all the time. Even when she heard about "Shake 'n Bake" (And I helped!!) for your chicken. Yup. She covered her chicken in Shake 'n Bake and then put it IN THE PRESSURE COOKER!!!
I haven't tried that. Thanks for the idea. (although I make my own ShakeNBake)

Old 12-03-2012, 03:19 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,973,623 times
Only thing I own on the list is a slow cooker. I would probably use a pressure canner and a pressure cooker but I don't have either as for yet. I use to own a George Foreman grill, it was actually pretty handy for when I was in school and working full time. It was a nice easy way to quickly cook up some protein for dinner.

I couldn't see myself wanting any of the others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink