Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you own an electric can opener?
Never have, probably never will. 44 44.00%
Not now - maybe in old age. 20 20.00%
Yes...but it's rarely used. 8 8.00%
Yes. Doen't everyone? 28 28.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 12:44 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,769,512 times

Advertisements

I used to years ago.
Makes no sense to me now, and no one i know has one.
Are they a dying appliance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2012, 01:01 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,123,046 times
Nope. I own two manual can openers that are both made in the U.S.A. and I'm damn proud of that. They're the best in the world. They work every time. I use them several times a day for years and years.
U-S-A.......U-S-A.......U-S-A......U-S-A.......U-S-A.........U-S-A........U-S-A........U-S-A......U-S-A........U-S-A.......U-S-A.....

Old 12-06-2012, 01:03 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,425,008 times
Not everything has a pop top, and those hand crank ones are all dreadful. Plus I'm left handed. I also use the sharpener in the back, so it's dual purpose.

Old 12-06-2012, 01:31 AM

987 posts, read 1,386,105 times
Ours the can gets stuck midway when the batteries are weak! Grrrrrrr! Luckily we still have our manual can opener!

Old 12-06-2012, 02:51 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,818,808 times
My wife has switched us to a manual and electric side cut openers. They are far superior to the old top cutters. Even the hand operated is quite easy for those with less hand strength.

Side opening can openers!

Old 12-06-2012, 04:34 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times
Fifty Dollars for a Can Opener?????

Old 12-06-2012, 04:47 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
An electric can opener was, probably my first kitchen gadget about 45 years ago. Now, I use a $5 manual one and haven't thought about an electric one for years, but it is on our granddaughters Christmas list. She has every gadget one could want except, I guess not an electric can opener..I am getting her the cheapest one I can find cause I doubt she will use it much.

Nita

Old 12-06-2012, 04:56 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,854,170 times
No. They are just extra clutter on the kitchen counter.

I received one as a gift years ago and got rid of it after using for a short time.

Invest $10 in a quality hand opener. Easy to use, you can put them in the dishwasher to clean and store in a drawer.

Old 12-06-2012, 05:01 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times
I was gifted with a German RÖSLE side cutting can opener a dozen years ago, and it simply works better than anything else I've tried. At $42 it's pricy, but it simply works better than anything else I've tried. The design is so straightforward and simple that it doesn't seem like it would work at all, but it simply works better than anything else I've tried.

Advantages of the "Euro" side seam cutter design over "American" style puncturing openers:
Cutting the lid on the side doesn't drop dirt or metal shavings into the food, and lid stays on top.

Cutting the lid on the side allows the lid to be replaced on top of the can to reseal it in the fridge.

The amount of effort needed to open the can is dramatically reduced. Requires little hand strength.

Eliminating the "scissors" action of most can openers prevents pinched fingers.

The cutting blade stays clean and sharp, doesn't get gunked up with food debris.

Takes up the smallest possible amount of space.

Doesn't require electric power or batteries.

Outlasts cheaper openers.

No sharp edges!

Rösle Can Opener

Last edited by OpenD; 12-06-2012 at 05:12 AM..

Old 12-06-2012, 05:26 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,599,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
I was gifted with a German RÖSLE side cutting can opener a dozen years ago, and it simply works better than anything else I've tried. At $42 it's pricy, but it simply works better than anything else I've tried. The design is so straightforward and simple that it doesn't seem like it would work at all, but it simply works better than anything else I've tried.

Advantages of the "Euro" side seam cutter design over "American" style puncturing openers:
Cutting the lid on the side doesn't drop dirt or metal shavings into the food, and lid stays on top.

Cutting the lid on the side allows the lid to be replaced on top of the can to reseal it in the fridge.

The amount of effort needed to open the can is dramatically reduced. Requires little hand strength.

Eliminating the "scissors" action of most can openers prevents pinched fingers.

The cutting blade stays clean and sharp, doesn't get gunked up with food debris.

Takes up the smallest possible amount of space.

Doesn't require electric power or batteries.

Outlasts cheaper openers.

No sharp edges!
Rösle Can Opener
I don't own an electric can opener but I do like having the best tool for the task. But I'm concerned with sharp edges because my pets like to lick cans. I've been known to do it myself. This isn't possible with all cans but it works with cans with pull tabs as well as many others. According to the Amazon Rosle page this can opener eliminates sharp edges but it seems that it would cause or exacerbate them. What's your opinion?

http://www.amazon.com/Rosle-12751-Ca...sle+can+opener
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink