Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 01:49 PM

708 posts, read 1,060,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beth98 View Post
This. They are expensive because once you have a machine you have to buy them. See also: printer ink.

I know they sell a refillable one if that appeals to the OP.
Those refillable ones are good because they allow you to use any coffee you want.Unfortunately,the filter is a little pricey,too.
But if you go to Bed Bath Beyond, you can use a coupon and it hurts a little less.

Old 12-06-2012, 02:19 PM

2,131 posts, read 4,914,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beth98 View Post
I know they sell a refillable one if that appeals to the OP.
Good idea. My mother uses those and it saves her a lot of money.

I'm guessing the price of K-cups will drop when the novelty wears off. Maybe we'll start to see them a dollar stores.

Old 12-06-2012, 02:20 PM

890 posts, read 2,279,763 times
Well now Keurig has come out with the Vue brewer that uses different cups so hopefully that becomes popular and the original k-cups drop in price.

Old 12-06-2012, 03:48 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,725,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Convenience always comes at a price.
This.

Old 12-06-2012, 03:53 PM

2,131 posts, read 4,914,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fennec2009 View Post
Well now Keurig has come out with the Vue brewer that uses different cups so hopefully that becomes popular and the original k-cups drop in price.
What's the advantage of the Vue? The machines cost about $250 and the few prices I've seen for cups are the same as K-cups.

Old 12-06-2012, 04:09 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,420,556 times
I have the reuseable K cup and tried maxwell house coffee in it. It tasted very weak. I don't mind spending the money on K cups. I buy them on Amazon but I have 3 $5.00 off your purchase in coupons plus 3 more 20% off coupons for BB&B that I will use on my next coffee purchase. What I love about BB&B is they take the coupons even if they are expired and they take all of them at once. I like strong bold coffee so my preferences are Newman's own extra bold, timothy's midnight magic and green mountain dark magic. My husband knows a guy who sells them (he works for Filter fresh here on LI) they come out to about 50 cents a K cup which I think is reasonable.

Old 12-06-2012, 04:19 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,844,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrcousert View Post
$.80 cents a cup on average, including a certain brand of hot chocolate that I can get for $2.00 a box of ten packets.

Do K-cups really cost that much to make?
Of course not.

They are expensive because people are willing to pay a lot for them. Otherwise, they would lower the price.

It's the same with Apple products. The masses of trend following idiots are willing to pay top dollar for iPads and iPhones, so they can get away with charging whatever they want for them.

Old 12-06-2012, 05:48 PM

3,016 posts, read 3,910,055 times
They are really not that expensive.

It would cost way more money for someone to purchase a large amount of land, grow coffee on it (along with all of the labor involved), process it and then put it into machines (add on the cost of the equipment) that make k-cups.

So at the end of the day, the actual cost of a single k-cup is next to nothing when you take into the consideration all of the factors of production that went into making one. The average person has the luxury of buying a box of them at a store and then going home and making coffee. There are thousands of individuals as well as decisions and logistics that go into the creation of k-cups that a consumer does not have to be bothered with. From acquisition of the land in a foreign country that the coffee is grown in, the labor used to harvest the beans, processing, the technology that makes the k-cups as well as the machines they they are put into and the delivery trucks that get all necessary components to the next destination and a pricing system that operates independently of any one single person's subjective whims or artificial value appraisal of what a k-cup should cost. Even if they cost $1 each, I would say that the person using them at their final destination in a kitchen is getting a benefit from them that is far greater than the effort they initially put in to obtain the money to buy even a pack of k-cups at a cost of $10.

Old 12-06-2012, 06:01 PM

890 posts, read 2,279,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrcousert View Post
What's the advantage of the Vue? The machines cost about $250 and the few prices I've seen for cups are the same as K-cups.
It offers a more customizable cup of coffee. You can change the temperature of the water used, there is a button to make the coffee stronger, it brews larger amounts of coffee without tasting watered down (for large travel mugs), you can infuse air to make it frothy, aaaand they have cappucino and latte k-cups in addition to coffee/tea/cocoa.

I don't think it is worth upgrading a normal Keurig to the Vue system, but for someone looking to purchase one it may be a good option.

Old 12-07-2012, 10:31 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,952,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydive Outlaw View Post
They are really not that expensive.

It would cost way more money for someone to purchase a large amount of land, grow coffee on it (along with all of the labor involved), process it and then put it into machines (add on the cost of the equipment) that make k-cups.

So at the end of the day, the actual cost of a single k-cup is next to nothing when you take into the consideration all of the factors of production that went into making one. The average person has the luxury of buying a box of them at a store and then going home and making coffee. There are thousands of individuals as well as decisions and logistics that go into the creation of k-cups that a consumer does not have to be bothered with. From acquisition of the land in a foreign country that the coffee is grown in, the labor used to harvest the beans, processing, the technology that makes the k-cups as well as the machines they they are put into and the delivery trucks that get all necessary components to the next destination and a pricing system that operates independently of any one single person's subjective whims or artificial value appraisal of what a k-cup should cost. Even if they cost $1 each, I would say that the person using them at their final destination in a kitchen is getting a benefit from them that is far greater than the effort they initially put in to obtain the money to buy even a pack of k-cups at a cost of $10.
I don't own a Keurig. I drink 8 o'clock 100% Colombian. An 11 oz. bag costs $5.98 ($4.98 at WalMart) The $5.98 market has it BOGO about once every six weeks. (The across-the-street competitor does the same) So I pretty much pay $3.00 for a sack of coffee that lasts me about a month. I brew one pot a day, sans company, which is about 3, 3 1/2 large cups.

I'm pretty sure that 8 O'Clock brand has much the same expenses as Keurig with the exception of the teeny tiny plastic thingies that hold the single serving. However, my brand has the expense of bags so there is that.

I think the Keurig is a splendid idea for break rooms, or areas where people occasionally pop in for some refreshment but not in high numbers all at once. Saves the visitor from having to drink the sludge that results when the First Guy In makes a pot, drinks a cup, and leaves the rest to fester on the warming plate. For home brewing, my Cuisinart adjusts to make a short pot. Aside from all of the things that go into the growing, harvesting, roasting, packaging, shipping etc of the coffee, my concern is affordability and that, I've got.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink