Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 09:56 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,605,154 times

Advertisements

Seems wasteful to me, just more plastic in the trash with every cup. But then again, I drink four cups every morning.

Old 12-08-2012, 10:25 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,431,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
Go to Bed Bath and Beyond. Average cup cost is 66 cents. And then if you use a coupon they are constantly sending.....

Also way cheaper at Costco. I believe we paid 44 cents a cup for Newman's and Donut Shop.
At my Costco they sell a box of 80 cups for $24.99. I returned the Newman's once I tried the San Fran brand and realized it was just fine. Comes to about 31 cents a cup.

Old 12-09-2012, 05:12 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,974,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
I'm not a fan of the taste of K-cup coffee. It's just not the same & I've had all the best brands.
I have noticed, however, that now even Wal Mart is doing the K cups in their brand- Great Value.
3 bucks cheaper than everyone else, & the taste is comparable.
This is the gist of it for me. The coffee that comes out of these machines is watery and really doesn't taste that good.

Old 12-09-2012, 05:13 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrcousert View Post
$.80 cents a cup on average, including a certain brand of hot chocolate that I can get for $2.00 a box of ten packets.

Do K-cups really cost that much to make?
Because they are for your convenience for your new, shiny, pretty toy. I'll take my Melitta anyday.

Old 12-10-2012, 01:44 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,436,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
The coffee that comes out of these machines is watery and really doesn't taste that good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Because they are for your convenience for your new, shiny, pretty toy.
You may not personally like them, but I don't agree with either judgment. You can make very strong coffee if you choose to, choosing from many fine brands, and they've been on the market for years, so they are way past a fad.

The immense popularity of the Keurig system is that it is easy and convenient for people to make coffee they like, without the muss and fuss of dealing with coffee grounds and filters and the like. That's why so many offices have them now for the convenience of their customers, because they can select the kind of coffee they like (or tea, or cocoa), when they want, with no pot to wash, no filter to deal with, no burnt coffee, etc.

My dentist office has one in the lobby, as does my insurance agent, and my car service center, and several of my friends have them at home, having tried them and liked them when they tasted them at... well, at the dentist office, the insurance agency... etc.

Old 12-10-2012, 08:41 AM

44,355 posts, read 20,059,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
I don't own a Keurig. I drink 8 o'clock 100% Colombian. An 11 oz. bag costs $5.98 ($4.98 at WalMart) The $5.98 market has it BOGO about once every six weeks. (The across-the-street competitor does the same) So I pretty much pay $3.00 for a sack of coffee that lasts me about a month. I brew one pot a day, sans company, which is about 3, 3 1/2 large cups.

I'm pretty sure that 8 O'Clock brand has much the same expenses as Keurig with the exception of the teeny tiny plastic thingies that hold the single serving. However, my brand has the expense of bags so there is that.
Excellent post, theatergypsy! You can make really great coffee at home without having to spend a fortune.

I also agree with posters who said that it's still in the fad stage and the price of the Keurig cups will come down after the novelty wears off.

My boyfriend has a Keurig and he loves it. It's worth it to him. There's no way I could justify something like that for myself, though. But then, I'm not the sort who would pay $4 or $5 for a fancy coffee drink at Starbucks, either.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 12-10-2012, 08:46 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
We recently got a Keurig in the breakroom at work, and it is a little disconcerting how much garbage the thing generates. When we just had the coffee pots the only trash we had was the used filters and grounds, and now the trash can is filled with dozens of little plastic cups.

Old 12-10-2012, 11:58 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,763,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
We recently got a Keurig in the breakroom at work, and it is a little disconcerting how much garbage the thing generates. When we just had the coffee pots the only trash we had was the used filters and grounds, and now the trash can is filled with dozens of little plastic cups.
This was one of the reasons I chose not to buy a Keurig when my old coffee maker died last year. Mr. Kidz has one in the breakroom at his office, and he was always commenting on how much more stuff this was putting in land fills, and he's not one to worry about that kind of thing at all.

Plus, I've never had any coffee made in one that I particularly cared for. I have tried them lots of places, from friends homes, to places like my insurance agents office and the oil change place. Hubby complained that he didn't like any of the coffee varieties offered in his office breakroom as well. So, I bought him some of the Folgers K-cups, since that is what we drink at home. He told me not to buy them anymore because it still didn't taste as good as what I make at home, so he would just use whatever the company provided.

Just kind of seems like a gimmick to me.

Old 12-10-2012, 05:07 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,952,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
You may not personally like them, but I don't agree with either judgment. You can make very strong coffee if you choose to, choosing from many fine brands, and they've been on the market for years, so they are way past a fad.

The immense popularity of the Keurig system is that it is easy and convenient for people to make coffee they like, without the muss and fuss of dealing with coffee grounds and filters and the like. That's why so many offices have them now for the convenience of their customers, because they can select the kind of coffee they like (or tea, or cocoa), when they want, with no pot to wash, no filter to deal with, no burnt coffee, etc.

My dentist office has one in the lobby, as does my insurance agent, and my car service center, and several of my friends have them at home, having tried them and liked them when they tasted them at... well, at the dentist office, the insurance agency... etc.
See bolded This is precisely why the Keurig system was invented - so nobody has to drink the tarry substance that results from hours of sitting on the warming plate. Doesn't mean it's practical for home, where I can make it far more cheaply than buying the Keurig cups.

And what does one do when company comes? Do you make one cup at a time or do you have a back-up pot that makes coffee the "old-fashioned way"?

Make no mistake, I champion your right to make coffee any way you want. Even instant if you like it. But no one can tell me that K-cups "aren't really that expensive".

Old 12-11-2012, 01:11 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,436,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSinger View Post
I also agree with posters who said that it's still in the fad stage and the price of the Keurig cups will come down after the novelty wears off.
I don't know why so many people think this is a fad. The system debuted in 1998, and my first exposure was in 2000, when I went to work for a company that had a Keurig system in the break room. Then about 6 or 7 years ago they really took off... that's when I would have said they were a fad. And then at least 5 years ago the K-cups were finally available in supermarkets everywhere.

So Keurig may be new to you, but it's hardly new, and if anything it seems to me the fad was over years ago. Now people are just buying it because they like the system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink