Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 04:33 PM

22,599 posts, read 24,409,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
An espresso is black coffee. Nothing wrong with a well-made espresso - when you can actually find one.

I was a coffee professional for a number of years and have been fortunate to taste a ton of exceptional single-origins from all over as part of that career. Although now out of the industry, I still source great green coffee and roast it myself. The difference between doing that and buying supermarket dreck is like drinking a Grand Cru every day vs. a gallon jug of plonk. Except that roasting your own is ultimately cheaper.

Good coffees have so much to offer when consumed black. Bad coffees need the cream and sugar.

I KNEW I would run into a upper-cruster on this thread.

The fancy terms, the boasts of coffee accomplishments that puts us barfbags to shame, the put-down of regular "supermarket dreck". My-oh-my....I feel low now.....a simple and scummy instant coffee drinker.

Folders instant............black and burning hot!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2012, 08:31 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,953,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oaktonite View Post
There are a lot of drinks that include coffee as an ingredient. Some of them are pretty good. But there are only two ingredients in coffee. Coffee and hot water. But not scalding hot water. That's absurd. If I wanted a cup of coffee I could drink ten minutes after I got it, I would have ordered it ten minutes ago.
The problem with that is that it takes water of 195-202F to brew coffee properly in a batch brewer or electric drip home coffeemaker. Cooler water will lead to a sour extraction. There's a ton of science on this.

There are ways to brew coffee with cooler water (say 175F) with an Aeropress or even an espresso extraction because you've added pressure to the variables, but you can't do it with any of the current commercial batch brewers and get a great extraction.

Old 12-07-2012, 08:34 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,953,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
I KNEW I would run into a upper-cruster on this thread.

The fancy terms, the boasts of coffee accomplishments that puts us barfbags to shame, the put-down of regular "supermarket dreck". My-oh-my....I feel low now.....a simple and scummy instant coffee drinker.

Folders instant............black and burning hot!!!!!!!!!!!
You feel that way by choice. I have nothing to do with it.

Lots of people like McDonald's for burgers too. It's the most popular burger around, just like Folgers is the most popular instant coffee. So you have plenty of company. I don't have a problem with that, but it's not for me.

However, I do find it odd that people who wouldn't buy other stale food products do so regularly with coffee.

Last edited by sskink; 12-07-2012 at 09:05 PM..

Old 12-07-2012, 08:46 PM

3,190 posts, read 4,569,224 times
I like my coffee black as well with no sugar. Not a fan of espresso shots as I like to have more than one mouthful of beverage.

Old 12-08-2012, 12:57 AM

335 posts, read 333,598 times
I don't care for coffee -- but I especially don't like sugary and creamy coffee. If I have to drink it, let it be as hot as possible and black (and made with a clean -- I mean no coffee stains -- pot).

There are studies that indicate that regular coffee consumption has a number of health benefits, but not the sugar and the cream. So I have a cup every morning. That gets me going nicely and I tell myself I'm doing my liver a favor.

Old 12-08-2012, 01:10 AM

16,894 posts, read 16,023,708 times
I've never seen coffee that looked "black". Mine looks like, I don't know.....like walnut stain or something. Wow....I should find something that has raw wood and stain it with my coffee! What a brainstorm!

Old 12-08-2012, 01:47 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,057,891 times
Thankfully i learned to drink coffee Black/no sugar. i can taste coffee instead of sugar and some chemical whitner product or greasy tasting cream concoction.
I learned to drink coffee black back in my youth when i was rooming with 3 other guys,Who bought Milk and sugar was always a big deal and when we ran out every one accused every one else of using all the milk and sugar,didnt take me long to figure out how to avoid the conflicts

I most always use instant coffee as its as easy to make as a teaspoon of coffee into a cup of boiling water and away you go ,all these supposed super tasting coffees at Starbuck type places are wasted on me as i cant really tell the difference.
For those really into the stuff i tripped over this coffee forum when researching expresso makers as a gift for some one.
http://coffeegeek.com/forums

Old 12-08-2012, 06:19 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,475,081 times
When I was a little kid, my grandpa had a certain way of eating. It included taking a very small portion of each type of food on his plate~egg, hash brown, bacon, small bit of bread, and while chewing take a slurp of black coffee. SO I tried it. Dayum! It's good that way.

I only like black coffee during breakfast with food. If I am just having coffee as a caffeine boost, I like to add to it.

Old 12-08-2012, 06:23 AM

1,320 posts, read 2,687,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
I don't see why so many people find it disgusting. If people want a cup of milk and sugar, then why do they order coffee? If it is good coffee that is well made, it should be drinkable black.
Agreed! This is esp. true of fine quality coffee. Adding anything to it ruins the brew, IMHO.

Old 12-08-2012, 08:52 AM

16,368 posts, read 30,102,520 times
Most of the time, I drink coffee black, no matter how strong.

However, if I have half & half or light cream available, I will use it. Never regular milk, never Coffeemate or Cremora, and never any flavoring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink