Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 06:20 AM

605 posts, read 2,147,545 times

Advertisements

I love a cup of coffee. My husband does too; he just gets a regular or iced coffee from Starbucks. I keep seeing commercials for those instant coffee machines. I don't get them. It is an instant powder mix. My husband has a machine at work. He hates it and doesn't touch it.

What is all the craze with fancy instant coffee?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 06:22 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic78 View Post
I love a cup of coffee. My husband does too; he just gets a regular or iced coffee from Starbucks. I keep seeing commercials for those instant coffee machines. I don't get them. It is an instant powder mix. My husband has a machine at work. He hates it and doesn't touch it. What is all the craze with fancy instant coffee?
I don't get it either. I think because it's "instant".

Old 12-12-2012, 09:34 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,436,685 times
Quote:
I love a cup of coffee. My husband does too; he just gets a regular or iced coffee from Starbucks. I keep seeing commercials for those instant coffee machines. I don't get them. It is an instant powder mix. My husband has a machine at work. He hates it and doesn't touch it.

What is all the craze with fancy instant coffee?
I'm not clear what you're talking about. The instant coffee machines I'm familiar with are big commercial vending machines that make different coffee drinks and cocoa from powdered mixes. But I never see commercials for those.

What I do see commercials for are the various pod systems for home use, like Nespresso, Keurig, and the new Starbucks system, but although they make coffee quickly, they are all actually brewing ground coffee under pressure, not using instant coffee.

Or am I missing something?

Old 12-12-2012, 12:37 PM

The little packets that make "lattes" are instant coffee mixed with milk powder. The one at my husband's work has all sorts of coffee flavored, teas, etc. It is a table top machine. Maybe, green mountain? All instant crap. It definitely isn't fresh ground coffee. Plus, the machines don't get as hot as regular brewed coffee.

Old 12-13-2012, 04:09 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,058,713 times
Sounds like your husband's office has a Keurig, Green Mountain is a brand of coffee. Keurigs have a pod system that can do real brewed coffee as well as tea, cocoa, and various other drinks. He may not like it, but it is real coffee not instant.

Old 12-13-2012, 04:38 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,763,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
Sounds like your husband's office has a Keurig, Green Mountain is a brand of coffee. Keurigs have a pod system that can do real brewed coffee as well as tea, cocoa, and various other drinks. He may not like it, but it is real coffee not instant.
Or a Tassimo. Those things are more expensive than a Keurig and so are the pods. Hubbys office got rid of their Kuerig and got a Tassimo. It will make all kinds of lattes and cappuccinos. Nastiest. Stuff. Ever. I tried one of the lattes one day while visiting his office. Just gross. Tasted totally instant and not nearly hot enough. And I don't know if this is all of their machines, or just those that are supplied and serviced by a coffee service, but theirs will not allow you to use the make your own type of pods. One of his coworkers bought the do it yourself pods for Tassimo and tried it. Wouldn't work. Their pods have some kind of bar code on them that the machine scans before it brews the coffee and will not accept any other pods.

Old 12-13-2012, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post

How is powdered drinks of varying flavors not instant drink mix? Tea doesn't come in a powder. Lattes don't come in powders either. Flavored coffee is a powder mix.

I think it is a gimmick. The fad will pass.

Old 12-13-2012, 07:38 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Your post referred to instant coffee. The coffee in those machines (Keurig etc) is not powdered, or instant.
I'd guess most people use them for coffee. The powdered drinks that use only hot water are most likely secondary use...it's a convenient quick hot water dispenser.

Old 12-13-2012, 08:47 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,058,713 times
Quote:
How is powdered drinks of varying flavors not instant drink mix? Tea doesn't come in a powder. Lattes don't come in powders either. Flavored coffee is a powder mix.

I think it is a gimmick. The fad will pass.
Ok, clearly you have a very technical and broad knowledge of the machine at your husband's office, hence you must be correct and everyone else is simply not as smart as you.

Old 12-13-2012, 09:40 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,431,396 times
Quote:
The little packets that make "lattes" are instant coffee mixed with milk powder. The one at my husband's work has all sorts of coffee flavored, teas, etc. It is a table top machine. Maybe, green mountain? All instant crap. It definitely isn't fresh ground coffee. Plus, the machines don't get as hot as regular brewed coffee.
There are cartridges that have instant mixes of flavored lattes and cocoa, but there are also cartridges with true coffee grounds and tea leaves in the case of the tea cartridges. Sounds like your husband's place of work only stocks the cheap stuff, that doesn't make the concept a fad, it just means your husband's workplace procurement manager has bad taste.

Not sure if you realize the science behind conventional coffee brewers, they also force hot water over the coffee grounds and out comes the brown stuff. The Keurig just speeds up the process. But if you don't care for that, no problem. Some folks refuse to let go of their typewriters, others still cling to their rotary phones. No harm in that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink