Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 02:44 PM

1,050 posts, read 3,524,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
It must be sad, but at least you are going to continue a tradition, that is the start of the healing process. We too have prime rib..I will be doing it this year (like most years) there will be 7 of us, so I am thinking of getting a 6 lb roast. I may buy it tomorrow and freeze it or I might wait. It depends on the price at Sam's. I know they are pricey this year, and our local grocer won't have them on sale til next week. THe manager, a friend of ours says they will still be expensive, even on sale. With it we will have, twice baked potatoes and ceaser salad. The kids are bringing dessert and veggies.

Christmas eve will be a larger crowd and dinner will be at our daughters. Mostly she is going to have a lot of appitizers and sweets we will all bring to munch on most of the day. I think she is going to make a pot of chili and a pot of soup.

Oh the twice baked potatoes sound great.....think I will do that too. I think I a paying 6.79 a pound at Publix for the Prime rib.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2012, 02:59 PM

1,050 posts, read 3,524,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire_F View Post
My mother's family is Swedish, so we've always done a smorgasbord-type thing for Christmas. For Christmas Eve, Swedish meatballs are a must, and we'll also have mashed potatoes and lingonberries. I'm still trying to decide on a green - maybe some Swiss chard or Brussels sprouts. We'll also have snacks/appetizers set up on the bar Christmas Eve and Christmas day - cheese spreads, some dips, nuts, etc.

Cardamom bread is always a part of it as well. This year, I'm thinking about trying a sticky toffee pudding for dessert. I love it, but have never made it myself.

My favorite chocolate cake is Hershey's "Perfectly Chocolate" Chocolate Cake. It's easy, and SO delicious.

Another very tasty cake (but takes more work) is turtle cake. Here is a recipe that looks like the one I use. However, I don't put any type of frosting on it; it's very rich without it. The only kid of topping I ever put on it is maybe some whipped cream.

They both sound and look great.......maybe the Turtle Cake. I will take a family poll and let them decide between the two.

Old 12-14-2012, 04:46 PM

50,339 posts, read 63,906,560 times
This is Christmas Eve. Christmas Day will be buffet of leftovers... turkey and ham.

I'm still tweeking it, but so far, Spiral Sliced Ham, Cheese Potatoes, Pineapple casserole, Fresh greenbeans or asparagus with almonds, spring greens salad with beries and sugared pecans, Baked acorn squash with brown sugar and rosemary, rolls. Also a big chocolate cake, or a lemon coconut cake and a pie or two.

As I said in another post, we would have traditionally had prime rib, but unaffordable for a lot of people.

Old 12-14-2012, 05:02 PM

52,681 posts, read 47,932,189 times
Christmas 2012 will be at my mom's on Christmas Eve. The menu: Beef tenderloin (with burgundy wine sauce), mashed potatoes, spinach casserole, rolls, and apple cake with caramel sauce for dessert.

Tea and coffee.

Old 12-14-2012, 06:48 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,721,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude1948 View Post
This will be a sad Christmas since my husband of 43 years passed away 10 weeks ago, but I am going to continue our tradition with the Prime Rib --just ordered an 8#er.. with au jous. Popovers, spinach souffle and some type of potato casseole.
Every year we do finger food type things for Christmas eve like wings, jalapeno poppers etc. Then we HAVE to have ham on Christmas day.

Somewhere in there Im gonna squeeze in some steak for Mr Jude1948. This is my second Christmas without my step dad and that man was quite frankly the greatest man on the planet and I am still getting used to it.

Old 12-14-2012, 06:58 PM

14,762 posts, read 8,093,254 times
Christmas Dinner at our house is Roasted Turkey, stuffing, gravy, cranberry relish, mashed potatoes
and gravy, corn and dinner rolls. Pumpkin Pie, Petits Fours for dessert.
(Christmas Eve Dinner is Ham, sweet potatoes, green beans, Pasta Salad and deviled eggs. Cheesecake for dessert.)

Old 12-14-2012, 07:19 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Christmas Eve we always have fish. Don't know what my mom is planning, but I hope it's not that lemon Bisquick recipe she makes all the time. I can insist on salmon if I buy it myself.

And shrimp ... Lots of shrimp!

Old 12-14-2012, 07:47 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Everybody's Christmas sounds yummy ! If anyone needs an extra guest to fill a chair...

You people make me feel ashamed of my lazy ways when it comes to cooking ! All your Christmas dinners sound like culinary marathons. Mine is more like a short lap around the deli...

Is there anybody out there like myself who just wants an easy day and minimal cooking ?
Me! On Christmas Day I set out a buffet of cold munchies like crudites, dips, hummus, fruit, olives, smoked salmon, cheese, and crackers, and periodically I will pull a pan of hot nummies out of the oven. I used to make cocktail meatballs and keep them hot in a crockpot, but we quit eating meat and I don't have a good alternative. We sit around in our jammies, play with the new toys, and play Kinect Sports.

Christmas Eve I might make a slab of salmon but I don't know.

Old 12-15-2012, 08:47 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
I ended up getting a 6 plus lb rib eye roast, (boneless) we love the ribs but the difference in price outweighed the love: reg prime rib was $12 a lb at Sam's; rib eye in it's own alum pan (I might change that) surrounded by garlic pieces and already seasoned (again I may add more) was just over $9 a lb.

Old 12-15-2012, 10:39 AM

1,886 posts, read 2,224,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
ham in the oven at 4-5? am
what kind of ham?

how you going to cook that prime rib?

just curious- thats how i learn-from asking questions
Just a regular Half Ham with the bone. Fairly cheap. We don't do the spiral ham as many do around here.

It's cooked early so upon everyone waking there is a freshly cooked ham to carve up and have with breakfast, i forgot to mention we have breakfast with freshly diced roasted seasoned potato's, and some variety eggs.

I cook my roast the traditional way, in the oven, uncovered, at about 325-350 degrees. I also flavor it by applying some EVOO over it, S/P, and insert some garlic cloves.

I've got this really old cook book and adhere to the cooking times suggested there, as defined by the weight of the roast. I'll give a look see, and update this post because it comes out perfect every time.
I prefer the roast medium, overcooking a prime rib roast is a travesty IMO

cooking times for a perfectly crusted prime rib roast
Rare @325 ....20-22 minutes per pound
medium @325...24-27 minutes per pound
well done @325..29-32 minutes per pound

I always use a meat thermometer when cooking the roast and the temps are as follows.
rare..140 degrees
medium..160 degrees
Well done..170 degrees..
Also, i remove the roast as soon as it hits 160 degrees, gotta keep a good eye on it, as the roast will continue to cook after it's removed from the oven..hope that helps yeah @mainebrokerman

A half ham is easy to cook..
6-8 pound ham 15-17 minutes per pound..total time about 2-2 1/4 hours...Temp 130

Happy Eating and Feasting

Last edited by brienzi; 12-15-2012 at 11:48 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink