Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 02:39 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,525,749 times

Advertisements

I like Golden Corral when want a quick meal and don't feel like cooking. At least they serve vegetables, it's better than a burger and fries.

Old 12-16-2012, 02:42 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,112,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I would say that their own unsanitary practices "destroyed" the restaurant, not reviewers.
Agreed. They put people at risk while promoting food that is regardless of restaurant to be safe and edible. Not a way to do business. You reap what you sow.

Old 12-16-2012, 03:33 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,966,265 times
Quote:
I would say that their own unsanitary practices "destroyed" the restaurant, not reviewers.
As far as I can tell, Golden Corral's restaurants don't have any more problems than any other place. What is the basis for your accusation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Your first mistake was expecting anything "culinary" from Golden Corral. Basic, unimingnative, high-volume food -- and some diners prefer it that way.
^Here's somebody with a lick of sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I like Golden Corral when want a quick meal and don't feel like cooking. At least they serve vegetables, it's better than a burger and fries.
Nobody should have to defend their liking of Golden Corral. A genuine person can appreciate Golden Corral. Those without a lot of class, who are pretentious and try to project an image - well, they're doing just that. (Middle-class pretentiousness is quite a psychological phenomenon.) If these same folks knew how transparent they are to some of us, they would probably be propping up Golden Corral. I don't know of anything at Golden Corral or similar places that is at all terrible and everything seems is pretty decent.

Old 12-16-2012, 04:12 PM

1,566 posts, read 2,156,883 times
I've never been to Golden Corral...they don't seem to have them in the Bay Area, CA. Guess it's a good thing But how awful for the folks who got sick. 167 people??

Old 12-16-2012, 04:22 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,325,630 times
Although I rarely eat out, I've never had a problem with Golden Corral the few times I have gone. Of course any restaurant that honors military veterans as the Golden Corral does each year by feeding millions of them on Veterans Day gets a pass from me.

It does take a "special" person to stay, and especially stay and eat, in a place as described by some of the reviewers. I wouldn't even do that if the meal was free.

Old 12-16-2012, 05:03 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,499,890 times
My dad is a big buffet guy.

He also is the anti-foodie, views food as fuel, and fuel alone, and wants the most bang for his buck. That pretty much sums him up, in terms of gastronomic preferences. Some people are just that way.

Old 12-16-2012, 05:09 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,499,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
As far as I can tell, Golden Corral's restaurants don't have any more problems than any other place. What is the basis for your accusation?
This, from the linked article:

Quote:
Originally Posted by article
The just-opened Casper, Wyoming branch of the buffet is shutting down for 24 hours to sanitize the restaurant after the health department reported record occurrences of food poisoning
The article clearly states that 167 people who dined there got food poisoning. Is there some other criteria by which I should be judging the facility that I have overlooked? Did you even read the article? It's talking about a specific Golden Corral Location that, yeah, apparently DID have more problems than other places.

You could make it about "The mean foodie Yelpers have it in for Golden Corral, b/c they are SNOBS!" Except for that whole pesky issue of almost a couple hundred diners getting food poisoning and the health department subsequently shutting them down over it. That, I believe, would be the basis.

Old 12-16-2012, 05:18 PM

354 posts, read 517,615 times
i like their warm bread rolls with sweet/sugared butter. really yummy. never had food poisoning so far from eating there. but if i want a cheap laxative i just order .59 cent soft taco from taco bell and im off to the toilet in a hot minute.

Old 12-16-2012, 05:32 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,325,630 times
Quote:
My dad is a big buffet guy.

He also is the anti-foodie, views food as fuel, and fuel alone, and wants the most bang for his buck. That pretty much sums him up, in terms of gastronomic preferences. Some people are just that way.
Some folks eat to live and some live to eat. Sounds like your dad is the first as am I. Food is only fuel for life. I don't, however, want it to kill me before it fuels me.

Old 12-16-2012, 05:48 PM

20,917 posts, read 28,360,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Every Golden Corral buffet I visited was a culinary disaster. I would not cry when they close... forever.
I agree, went to a golden corral once, never again. Gross!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink