Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 06:59 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,973,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
This, from the linked article:

The article clearly states that 167 people who dined there got food poisoning. Is there some other criteria by which I should be judging the facility that I have overlooked? Did you even read the article? It's talking about a specific Golden Corral Location that, yeah, apparently DID have more problems than other places.

You could make it about "The mean foodie Yelpers have it in for Golden Corral, b/c they are SNOBS!" Except for that whole pesky issue of almost a couple hundred diners getting food poisoning and the health department subsequently shutting them down over it. That, I believe, would be the basis.
This seems to be a HIGHLY UNUSUAL isolated incident. This particular location had just opened. Golden Corrals are very high volume and very busy. It does sound like they had a lot of problems, especially if food truly was put out not fully cooked. Undercooked chicken is unacceptable. However, again, this appears to be an isolated incident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I agree, went to a golden corral once, never again. Gross!
What was gross about it, in the personal experience you had?

I just hate seeing all things working-class ripped apart. I'm tired of people attacking things they think are below them (and the people who like those things) to prop themselves up. I've eaten at Golden Corral multiple times over the past few years and haven't ever had a problem. I recognize the place for what it is and have even snottily spoke of it as if a literal corral, but I just think people's snotty attitudes go way overboard.

Old 12-16-2012, 07:20 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,850,070 times
We have a Golden Corral that opened here a couple of years and it is very clean. It is very popular with vegetarians because of the many vegetables and salad bar. The bread is hot and fresh too.

Buffets aren't my first choice but our Golden Corral is the best of any buffet in this area.

Food poisoning had occurred at many places whether fast food, buffets or expensive restaurants.

Old 12-16-2012, 08:00 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,258,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
The article clearly states that 167 people who dined there got food poisoning. Is there some other criteria by which I should be judging the facility that I have overlooked? Did you even read the article? It's talking about a specific Golden Corral Location that, yeah, apparently DID have more problems than other places.

In general, if three or more UNRELATED people show up at a health care facility with food poisoning, the emergency rooms contact the local County Board of Health or Health Department. Then, the health inspectors conduct an interview with each party to determine where they ate during the last 48-72 hours.

In general, they can determine fairly quickly the food service establishment AND what caused the illness.

My last food borne illness back in September 2012 was in an upscale dinner house ... across from the Golden Corral.

Old 12-16-2012, 08:49 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,850,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
In general, if three or more UNRELATED people show up at a health care facility with food poisoning, the emergency rooms contact the local County Board of Health or Health Department. Then, the health inspectors conduct an interview with each party to determine where they ate during the last 48-72 hours.

In general, they can determine fairly quickly the food service establishment AND what caused the illness.

My last food borne illness back in September 2012 was in an upscale dinner house ... across from the Golden Corral.
I worked in a clinic in 2001 during a restaurant food poisoning incident. There were around 130 diners from a locally owned restaurant that were confirmed to have e coli. The health department worked with us to find, test and track patients.

After the investigation it was determined that the cause of the food poisoning was poor handwashing among employees, along with improper food handling.

The restaurant was closed for several weeks and the employees had to take food safety classes before it reopened.

Old 12-16-2012, 11:20 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,328,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debzkidz View Post

I found the last Yelp post interesting. The guy who said he got sick on the chicken, so he never got to anything else. I'm no expert but I've never heard of anyone being instantly stuck by food poisoning. Doesn't it take at least a few hours to hit you? I could understand that something might have been so greasy that it upset your stomach, but not actual food poisoning.
Before anyone else spreads a load of crappy misinformation (someone on here actually said 16 hours...really?), I must interject.

There are several types of what we commonly refer to as 'food poisoning.' Some can happen very quickly and some can actually take DAYS to show up.

This is why it's really hard to pinpoint ONE restaurant or one food as a cause for your illness...if anything you ate in the last 3 days could have made you sick, how will you truly know (outside of stool cultures matching up with cultures taken at the restaurant or being trapped on a cruise ship) where you got sick?

Old 12-16-2012, 11:21 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,328,014 times
Quote:
In general, if three or more UNRELATED people show up at a health care facility with food poisoning, the emergency rooms contact the local County Board of Health or Health Department. \l.

I have worked in 8 EDs in 4 different states and have never heard of such a policy.

Old 12-16-2012, 11:53 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,538,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
This seems to be a HIGHLY UNUSUAL isolated incident. This particular location had just opened. Golden Corrals are very high volume and very busy. It does sound like they had a lot of problems, especially if food truly was put out not fully cooked. Undercooked chicken is unacceptable. However, again, this appears to be an isolated incident.
But, the isolated incident about which I was speaking in the post with which you took issue. You asked if I was making unwarranted assumptions. I was not.

Old 12-17-2012, 07:28 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,100,783 times
People can get food poisoning or sick from a fine dining place as easily as they can a cheap buffet. The sickest I ever got was from a fancy and expensive Christmas Buffet at Grove Park Inn in Asheville several years ago. There were 800 reported cases, so no telling how many went unreported! (I did not seek medical help)

Old 12-17-2012, 07:47 AM

24,385 posts, read 23,041,608 times
I just do not get places like Golden Corral, Old Country Buffet or Hoss. The food is at best mediocre and I'd worry about the sanitary habits of the other patrons more than the staff.
I am prejudiced because I live in an area with all you can eat buffets that are not nationally known chains.

Old 12-17-2012, 09:57 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,287,779 times
Quote:
Generally, it takes 16-24 hours.
Actually, it takes 3-8 hours
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.