Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2012, 06:58 AM

6,977 posts, read 5,681,204 times

Advertisements

You order a coke in a restaurant, they give you this 'fancy' little bottle of coke for 4 bucks. No free refills. If i order a coke for 4 bucks, i'd like the actual real can not this 'half size' coke.

Whats up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2012, 10:27 AM

16,369 posts, read 30,133,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
You order a coke in a restaurant, they give you this 'fancy' little bottle of coke for 4 bucks. No free refills. If i order a coke for 4 bucks, i'd like the actual real can not this 'half size' coke.

Whats up.

This all started around 2006 when Anheuser-Busch introduced an aluminum bottle. Personally, I thought it was about the stupidest thing I had ever seen but at the time, I was with some of the management team that developed it.

It looks cool and sophisticated. Bar owners think that they can charge more for it than a fountain Coke. Personally, I would pass on it. (Now if they went back to long-neck 10 oz GLASS bottles packed in ice, I am all in.)

Old 12-25-2012, 10:45 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,325,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
You order a coke in a restaurant, they give you this 'fancy' little bottle of coke for 4 bucks. No free refills. If i order a coke for 4 bucks, i'd like the actual real can not this 'half size' coke. Whats up.
Funny post. I'm trying to remember the last time a restaurant served me a can, but I'm coming up dry. Maybe a pizza place?

The traditional returnable glass bottle with a waist, which was used for more than 90 years, and was finally retired in the US in August this year was 6.5 oz. By comparison, the standard can is 12 oz. or almost double the size. So Coca-Cola came out with a smaller 7.5 oz can about 5 years ago to more closely match the original serving size. And they've made limited releases of the "aluminum bottle" concept from time to time since. Sounds like what you got.

Price sounds high, yes, but it all depends on where you were. I can think of places it would have been more.

Old 12-25-2012, 11:43 AM

16,369 posts, read 30,133,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
The traditional returnable glass bottle with a waist, which was used for more than 90 years, and was finally retired in the US in August this year was 6.5 oz. By comparison, the standard can is 12 oz. or almost double the size. So Coca-Cola came out with a smaller 7.5 oz can about 5 years ago to more closely match the original serving size. And they've made limited releases of the "aluminum bottle" concept from time to time since. Sounds like what you got..
Actually Coke is available in MANY markets in the traditional bottles. It is the grey-market Mexican Coke that is available at MOST tacquerias and Mexican markets and can be found in 12 oz and 16oz.

Some people prefer the Mexican Coke as in MANY cases, it is made with cane sugar rather than corn syrup. However, I have seen Mexican Coke that is also make with corn syrup so you need to look at the list of ingredients.

Old 12-25-2012, 10:17 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,325,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Actually Coke is available in MANY markets in the traditional bottles.
Indeed, what I said was that the last to be bottled and sold in the US rolled off the line in August. The business model for returnable bottles in the US market no longer added up, so they closed that line. .

Independent bottlers in other countries, however, with different economics, could be selling the glass returnable bottles for years if they choose. In some markets, the investment in those bottles is very large compared to the price of the drink, but the average cost with washing and all is still less than plastic or aluminum disposables.

The Mexican coke situation is weird... it should not be sold in the US, but it is, as you say "grey market." Used to be the same situation with Dr. Pepper from the Dublin, Texas, made with cane sugar. They were only supposed to sell in the local area, but wound up shipping all over the country. This year the national bottling company bought out the Dublin bottler and shut them down.

Old 12-25-2012, 10:27 PM

114,841 posts, read 65,612,410 times
Marketing gimmicks! What would we do without them? I avoid all the gimmicks as much as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink