Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 06:17 PM

2,104 posts, read 3,008,476 times

Advertisements

I've seen her show a few times and enjoyed it. Haven't read her blog. I did use her recipe for oven baked beef brisket for Christmas dinner this year. Never made it before, but it turned out great and I was the hero of the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2013, 06:39 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
Her blog was hilarious, but a few things I've made of hers have come out quite badly, and some of her recipes are downright loopy--for instance, baking Krispy Kreme donuts for 10 minutes to warm them results in melted, inedible glop, as pointed out by one of the equally hilarious anti-PW blogs out there. I do like her deviled egg salad and make that sometimes. I think if I were going to cook with a cup of butter here and a pound of bacon there, I'd go with Paula Deen, whose recipes seem to be better tested.

Old 01-02-2013, 01:10 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,180,053 times
I don't get the Food Network so I watched 3 of her episodes online yesterday. The camera spent more time showing her face than they did the food! She got on my nerves telling over, over, over and over again how she was cooking for Cowboy Josh and her family at once.

In the Christmas epi there really wasn't nothing special about her meal. Brussel sprouts cut in half then roasted? Mashed potatoes piped into little swirl mounds? Red velvet cake has been around for a long time in any foodie's kitchen.

I was more interested in the shots they showed on the ranch or dad taking the kids shopping honestly. I liked her blog maybe she should stick to that because she is not interesting as a TV star IMHO.

Old 01-02-2013, 04:25 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
This is not exactly on subject, but I was looking around the PW blog and found that Ladd has one also. It was very interesting to read about his end of ranching, such as how they get paid to care for wild horses, and also how his job is to get as much income per acre of land as possible, and it's a constant challenge to do that.

I have made quite a few PW recipes since I discovered her show, but really I enjoy it just as much because their way of life is so different from mine.

It drives me nuts that Ree never scrapes the bowls. But I love how the kids work hard on the ranch, and they are so cute..especially that little one.

Old 01-02-2013, 06:17 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
It drives me nuts that Ree never scrapes the bowls.
I think that is a matter of time management. All the TV cooks fail to completely scrape bowls and it looks so wasteful to me.

Old 07-01-2013, 11:07 AM

912 posts, read 1,524,365 times
I've read her blog for years and definitely prefer it to her show. While she's gotten more comfortable in front of the camera as the show has progressed, her personality shines a lot better in the written word than on film. I'm not knocking it, I'd be the exact same way.

Also, I like her blog best from a few years back, before the big brands/networks started courting her. She's always been pretty family friendly, but she'd come out with some zingers before the blog got big -- and now it's a lot more sanitized. Her recipes, too -- I like some of the recent ones, but I do feel that she's now intentionally holding the best ones back for a cookbook/new project. I get it, money to be made and all that, but still.

I've made her dinner rolls, tomato sherry soup, olive cheese bread and roasted turkey, and it's all worked really well for me.

Old 07-01-2013, 12:08 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,180,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatswanlady View Post
I've read her blog for years and definitely prefer it to her show. While she's gotten more comfortable in front of the camera as the show has progressed, her personality shines a lot better in the written word than on film. I'm not knocking it, I'd be the exact same way.

Also, I like her blog best from a few years back, before the big brands/networks started courting her. She's always been pretty family friendly, but she'd come out with some zingers before the blog got big -- and now it's a lot more sanitized. Her recipes, too -- I like some of the recent ones, but I do feel that she's now intentionally holding the best ones back for a cookbook/new project. I get it, money to be made and all that, but still.

I've made her dinner rolls, tomato sherry soup, olive cheese bread and roasted turkey, and it's all worked really well for me.
I agree I like her blog way better than her show.

Old 07-01-2013, 12:17 PM

569 posts, read 671,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Her blog was hilarious, but a few things I've made of hers have come out quite badly, and some of her recipes are downright loopy--for instance, baking Krispy Kreme donuts for 10 minutes to warm them results in melted, inedible glop, as pointed out by one of the equally hilarious anti-PW blogs out there. I do like her deviled egg salad and make that sometimes. I think if I were going to cook with a cup of butter here and a pound of bacon there, I'd go with Paula Deen, whose recipes seem to be better tested.
I watch this show every Saturday and I enjoy it. She seems very Stepford. There was some meal she made a few weeks ago that had *8* sticks of butter in the various items. Beside being prohibitively expensive, I think I would have had to have the ambulance on speed dial. It is entertaining though.

Old 07-01-2013, 12:39 PM

1,939 posts, read 2,161,357 times
I found her blog a couple of years ago and at the time I thought it was one of the best food websites I had read. It was extremely entertaining, but what drove me nuts was the comments section following a recipe. The vast majority of comments were people saying things like "Oh gosh, that looks aaaaaaamazing. Swoon." I was looking to see what people thought of the recipe, but very few of those commenting had made them. The few I tried were absolutely nothing special. I think her gift was the ability to make readers laugh out loud while explaining how to make potato salad. It has probably been a year or so since I have read her blog. Another interesting note is how many food bloggers try to copy her style of writing. I find that very annoying and immediately stop reading whenever I see this. Be yourself!

Old 07-01-2013, 01:14 PM

912 posts, read 1,524,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdarocks View Post
I found her blog a couple of years ago and at the time I thought it was one of the best food websites I had read. It was extremely entertaining, but what drove me nuts was the comments section following a recipe. The vast majority of comments were people saying things like "Oh gosh, that looks aaaaaaamazing. Swoon." I was looking to see what people thought of the recipe, but very few of those commenting had made them. The few I tried were absolutely nothing special. I think her gift was the ability to make readers laugh out loud while explaining how to make potato salad. It has probably been a year or so since I have read her blog. Another interesting note is how many food bloggers try to copy her style of writing. I find that very annoying and immediately stop reading whenever I see this. Be yourself!
Agree with all of this! I will say, though, that her step-by-step pictures have been useful to me several times, particularly when making anything new. I feel like many recipes reach a point where you're staring down at your dish and thinking "Uh...is it supposed to look like this?" and her pictures can be reassuring OR help you realize something's gone wrong much sooner than when the finished food appears on your plate. I also like that a lot of her recipes give substitutions, particularly her baking recipes.

And a big WORD to the bloggers who copy her writing style. There's one in particular (and I won't name her) who I find to be very guilty of this. I like her recipes and I like her blog in general and family, but she frequently veers off into PW territory. It's so obvious and so distracting, especially since PW writes in distinct/specific way. She's definitely not the only one, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink