Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2016, 12:31 PM

21,026 posts, read 28,647,219 times

Advertisements

I don't cook 100% from scratch I try to use as little processed foods as possible. I do use them though like jar gravy, canned tomatoes, spice mixes, canned beans, canned tuna, frozen veggies, occasionally the Perdue boneless honey Bbq wings or their whole grain breaded chicken tenders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2016, 12:43 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,982,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
ice cream

canned tomatoes (if only fresh tomatoes were edible year-round in the northeast)

box pasta

ketchup

mustard

mayonnaise

relish
If you are a northerner, tomatoes are not good in Florida any time of year. Only the grape tomatoes. I'll get Roma for the better texture but that's about it. Every now and then you'll see a stand advertise Georgia tomatoes.

It's because of the dirt. Then of course the crazy rain and sun drama we have.

Also shockingly difficult to get any really good fresh fish in many parts of Florida. Who knew? Luckily I live near a fishmonger in business 60 years and you can get the fish right off the boat.

Old 04-16-2016, 12:59 PM

24,165 posts, read 32,742,803 times
I have never claimed to cook "only from scratch" and I don't think the occasional use of a prepared item will kill you.

1. Tomato sauce - I doctor it up, but I just can't make my own sauce.
2. occasional cake mixes
3. occasional frozen prepared fish
4. condiments - mayo mustard etc
5. cream of ...soups for cooking. (I make my own soup for eating)
6. occasional rice side dishes
7. Rotell tomatoes for Mexican foods.
8. cheese. I don't make my own cheese.

I don't plan to change.

Old 04-16-2016, 01:04 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,948,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post

I don't plan to change.
I won't try to change you, Sheena--promise. But I'm curious as to why someone with your obvious cooking skills can't make tomato sauce. And I promise as well not to tell you either of my two easy ones.

Old 04-16-2016, 01:05 PM

126,444 posts, read 19,217,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I have never claimed to cook "only from scratch" and I don't think the occasional use of a prepared item will kill you.

2. occasional cake mixes
3. occasional frozen prepared fish
4. condiments - mayo mustard etc
5. cream of ...soups for cooking. (I make my own soup for eating)
6. occasional rice side dishes
7. Rotell tomatoes for Mexican foods.
8. cheese. I don't make my own cheese.

I don't plan to change.
I still use tomato paste
at times Ragu sauce if out of my own tomato sauce
cheeses
Butter
orange juice when guests
Mustard
Pickles
Dry pasta
Mayonnaise when needed
I am sure I miss a few

Old 04-16-2016, 01:17 PM

5,363 posts, read 8,600,720 times
I think the whole "I cook from scratch/I don't eat processed foods" mentality has become one of those badges of honors people like to use when posting on the internet. Its an ego thing, and trendy. Trying to somehow elevate oneself above the lowly, uneducated, unhealthy, lazy masses who use "processed" foods.

Of course any person of average intelligence knows that eating food loaded with chemicals is not going to be that healthy. That is why I see it as ego thing when people make a point of insisting that they don't eat processed foods. Its like who cares? Who are you trying to impress?

Old 04-16-2016, 01:32 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,168,736 times
After you butcher and pluck (it's easier if you do it in that order instead of the other way around) your own chickens, then wouldn't they be on the 'processed' list? Although, I suppose we mean 'processed by a corporation for profit'.

We get a lot of processed stuff, pretty much starting with processed flour (I feed whole grains to my livestock, there's a difference between whole grain and flour, although sometimes I'll grind wheat into flour or flake oats into oatmeal). Butter is processed, cheese is processed, I suppose milk is processed unless it's raw milk, but that's mostly illegal. Oil is processed as it is squished from it's original source. Etc., etc.

It's possibly easier to list the non-processed foods we eat. That would mostly be fruits, vegetables, eggs, fish (sashimi), raw honey and ?

Old 04-16-2016, 01:37 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,982,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
I think the whole "I cook from scratch/I don't eat processed foods" mentality has become one of those badges of honors people like to use when posting on the internet. Its an ego thing, and trendy. Trying to somehow elevate oneself above the lowly, uneducated, unhealthy, lazy masses who use "processed" foods.

Of course any person of average intelligence knows that eating food loaded with chemicals is not going to be that healthy. That is why I see it as ego thing when people make a point of insisting that they don't eat processed foods. Its like who cares? Who are you trying to impress?
I could make a case that only the following foods are not processed:

You killed it then ate it

You grabbed it off another animal then ate it (eggs)

You grabbed it off the ground then ate it, including dead animals you didn't kill

You turned on the spigot of an animal put the glass under the animal and drank the milk

You pulled it growing out of the ground or off a tree then ate it

Whether or not fire was used in any of these scenarios is another issue.

Old 04-16-2016, 03:15 PM

19,987 posts, read 30,401,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
After you butcher and pluck (it's easier if you do it in that order instead of the other way around) your own chickens, then wouldn't they be on the 'processed' list? Although, I suppose we mean 'processed by a corporation for profit'.

We get a lot of processed stuff, pretty much starting with processed flour (I feed whole grains to my livestock, there's a difference between whole grain and flour, although sometimes I'll grind wheat into flour or flake oats into oatmeal). Butter is processed, cheese is processed, I suppose milk is processed unless it's raw milk, but that's mostly illegal. Oil is processed as it is squished from it's original source. Etc., etc.

It's possibly easier to list the non-processed foods we eat. That would mostly be fruits, vegetables, eggs, fish (sashimi), raw honey and ?
how many fruits and vegetables have been "humanly" modified ???????

I suspect the seedless watermelon was/is gmo or processed

Old 04-16-2016, 03:22 PM

12,227 posts, read 21,600,935 times
Tons of it, especially lately since I'm a full time student with tons of homework. Still, I think some of you are kidding yourselves about how little you use.

I have a loaded pantry/fridge full of condiments, bread/tortillas, peanut butter, barilla pasta, canned tomatoes and a few other canned items like tuna, Planter's peanuts, triscuits, etc. I don't make my own dairy products - cheese, sour cream, yogurt, ice cream. I bought some Powerade this week, and I'm fond of Diet Coke.

The super processed stuff I'm eating too much of on my current diet is mostly frozen stuff like burritos and lean cuisine. I've lost 8 pounds this semester too. That's down to eating less calories, of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink