Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2016, 03:23 PM

48,581 posts, read 34,994,809 times

Advertisements

Bread
Cereal
canned tomatos
sometimes canned corn or beans
corn chips, lavosh, chocolate
condiments (mayo, ketchup, fish sauce, etc.)
sometimes canned beans, soup
my guilty pleasure is tatertots maybe once a year
popcorn, tortillas
cool whip
pudding mix
other stuff here and there
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2016, 03:26 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,343,669 times
I used to enjoy tater tots so much but now they are so greasy.

Old 04-16-2016, 03:44 PM

48,581 posts, read 34,994,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I used to enjoy tater tots so much but now they are so greasy.
I

I bake them and they are not greasy. I've never looked at the ingredient list, they are probably not even a food.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-16-2016, 04:00 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,815,216 times
I make a soup now and as a base use Progresso Reduced Sodium..my market offers several reduced sodium types.

I add my own pre cooked celery, cabbage, some times green bean and carrots.

Add a sauted turkey link or two and a great soup for a few days. I eat soups for breakfast...no breads/cerals in my house.

Old 04-16-2016, 04:28 PM

24,155 posts, read 32,580,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
I won't try to change you, Sheena--promise. But I'm curious as to why someone with your obvious cooking skills can't make tomato sauce. And I promise as well not to tell you either of my two easy ones.
I know...I know....my efforts at tomato sauce making have been a disaster.

When I make it, the sauce just doesn't taste authentic. My efforts with Indian food are similarly dismal.

Sorry guys.

Old 04-16-2016, 06:36 PM

24,155 posts, read 32,580,670 times
Quote:
I won't try to change you, Sheena--promise. But I'm curious as to why someone with your obvious cooking skills can't make tomato sauce. And I promise as well not to tell you either of my two easy ones.

Actually, I would like that recipe! I just meant I am not a total purist. I'll always use some foods that are frozen or processed in addition to fresh foods.

But I would love to try to make a decent tomato sauce.

Old 04-16-2016, 06:53 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,915,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Actually, I would like that recipe! I just meant I am not a total purist. I'll always use some foods that are frozen or processed in addition to fresh foods.

But I would love to try to make a decent tomato sauce.
One important thing is more process than recipe. I like to run whole canned tomatoes through a food mill before I start (or do it in the Cuisinart). Not the finest setting. I don't usually buy San Marzano, FWIW; I find any tomato made by Cento is excellent, and they're usually cheaper than most San Marzano.

For one 28 oz. can, I chop a red onion, a carrot and a celery stick into 1/4" dice. Slowly saute soffritto in olive oil, covered, until onion is translucent. I add the tomatoes and simmer slowly until the vegetables don't have much texture left. It usually takes about 1/2 hour-45 minutes.

If I add wine, which I generally don't, I do it between the soffritto and the tomatoes, letting the alcohol really render its alcohol before adding tomatoes. I like either white or red, and I don't use more than 1/2 a cup.

Taste for salt and sugar; adjust as needed. I don't usually put pepper in this, but pepperoncini are nice if you like it a little hot. Add it early, with the soffritto.

I like this with cavatappi. Or else ravioli or tortelloni (larger than tortellini) you buy at the store. Or chicken rollatini. Whichever you choose, serve with plenty of freshly-grated Parmigiano-Reggiano (as essential, IMO, as the sauce). And you can chop some fresh basil to serve it with. One thing I never do with tomato sauce: no dried herbs, ever. They are almost always the thing I don't like when I don't like a sauce, especially dried basil.

My other basic tomato sauce recipe is Marcella Hazan's Tomato, Butter, and Onion sauce, which is easily googled.

Good luck.

Last edited by jay5835; 04-16-2016 at 07:08 PM..

Old 04-16-2016, 07:14 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,931,841 times
Quote:
One is more process than recipe. I like to run whole canned tomatoes through a food mill before I start (or do it in the Cuisinart). I don't usually buy San Marzano; I find any tomato made by Cento is excellent, and they're usually cheaper than most San Marzano.

For one 28 oz. can, I chop a red onion, a carrot and a celery stick into 1/4" dice. Slowly saute soffritto in olive oil, covered, until onion is translucent. I add the tomatoes and simmer slowly until the vegetables don't have much texture left. It usually takes about 1/2 hour-45 minutes.

If I add wine, which I generally don't, I do it between the soffritto and the tomatoes, letting the alcohol really render its alcohol before adding tomatoes. I like either white or red, and I don't use more than 1/2 a cup.

Taste for salt and sugar; adjust as needed. I don't usually put pepper in this, but pepperoncini are nice if you like it a little hot. Add it early, with the soffritto.
I like this with cavatappi. Or else ravioli or tortelloni (larger than tortellini) you buy at the store. Or chicken rollatini. Whichever you choose, serve with plenty of freshly-grated Parmigiano-Reggiano (as essential, IMO, as the sauce). You can chop some fresh basil to serve it with. One thing I never do with tomato sauce: no dried herbs, ever. They are the thing I don't like in most people's sauce.

My other basic tomato sauce recipe is Marcella Hazan's Tomato, Butter, and Onion sauce, which is easily googled.

Good luck.
That's how I do mine for a quick sauce, too! Food mill is A+.

For a NO FAIL EASY but longer cooking version and/or with meats, I found the identical way I learned from growing up around Italians in a Tony Danza cookbook that was a cute and good book. Who knew?

My version I usually omit the garlic, basil and sometimes the wine. I like mine sweet so I may use more onion. So it's like 5 ingredients before adding meats LOL. I also bake my meatballs first - not saute. He uses a colander not a food mill but I use the mill.

Sometimes I throw 2-3 red bell peppers in there then run the entire sauce through the mill at the end. I got that from my favorite pot roast - Friday Night Supper from Laurie Colwin's book -Home Cooking: A Writer in the Kitchen.

Tony Danza Sunday Sauce with Meatballs Recipe : Food Network

ETA: DO NOT ADD WHAT THIS BLOGGER ADDED TO LAURIE'S RECIPE!

Last edited by runswithscissors; 04-16-2016 at 07:33 PM..

Old 04-16-2016, 07:35 PM

26,662 posts, read 28,768,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
I think the whole "I cook from scratch/I don't eat processed foods" mentality has become one of those badges of honors people like to use when posting on the internet. Its an ego thing, and trendy. Trying to somehow elevate oneself above the lowly, uneducated, unhealthy, lazy masses who use "processed" foods.

Of course any person of average intelligence knows that eating food loaded with chemicals is not going to be that healthy. That is why I see it as ego thing when people make a point of insisting that they don't eat processed foods. Its like who cares? Who are you trying to impress?
That's just plain silly to assume. Cooking is normal and ordinary and has been done since the beginning of civilization--by almost every ordinary person. Maybe it's the elitists who eat out and don't cook. We're not trying to impress anyone, just exchanging information for fun. I would hope that most people...cook. I ate junk food for a while when I was working, going to grad school which was 3 hours away, trying to do homework on weekends...and I got very sick. It was good to get back to cooking even though I'm not one who enjoys it that much.

Anyway, I just thought of a few more things I buy already made: lemon juice in plastic lemons and pineapple chunks instead of buying entire entire pineapple to wrestle with, ditto for coconut milk,shredded coconut, and coconut oil--will NOT buy a coconut. Ever. Almond milk due to dairy allergy and cans of powdered cocoa for baking or making cocoa.

Last edited by in_newengland; 04-17-2016 at 09:22 AM..

Old 04-17-2016, 05:10 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,948,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
After you butcher and pluck (it's easier if you do it in that order instead of the other way around) your own chickens, then wouldn't they be on the 'processed' list? Although, I suppose we mean 'processed by a corporation for profit'.

We get a lot of processed stuff, pretty much starting with processed flour (I feed whole grains to my livestock, there's a difference between whole grain and flour, although sometimes I'll grind wheat into flour or flake oats into oatmeal). Butter is processed, cheese is processed, I suppose milk is processed unless it's raw milk, but that's mostly illegal. Oil is processed as it is squished from it's original source. Etc., etc.

It's possibly easier to list the non-processed foods we eat. That would mostly be fruits, vegetables, eggs, fish (sashimi), raw honey and ?
I am smiling now because I do remember actually plucking the chickens after my aunt wrung their necks. That was so many years ago. Now, back to the processed food question, maybe we are getting a little too technical. I originally wasn't thinking canned tomato sauce, cheese, milk, etc. but more boxed, easy to fix foods or frozen heat and eat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink