Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 11:36 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,266,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I

I bake them and they are not greasy. I've never looked at the ingredient list, they are probably not even a food.

LOLOLOL, outloud even

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...ot+ingredients
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2016, 11:50 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,337,227 times
Yes it's possible I've been doing it almost a year,snack foods tend to be the most processed so that's the only hard part ,i eat popcorn with natural flavourings if I want a snack.

Just eat whatever grows off a tree, in dirt etc ,from the various animals etc and that's it.
It's really easy if you stick to the fruit and vegetable shop for everything,I get nearly everything from there including pasta,bread etc.Avoid supermarket which has thousands of "foods" that didn't exist 100 years ago.

Old 04-18-2016, 06:18 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,378,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiethegreat View Post
Yes it's possible I've been doing it almost a year,snack foods tend to be the most processed so that's the only hard part ,i eat popcorn with natural flavourings if I want a snack.

Just eat whatever grows off a tree, in dirt etc ,from the various animals etc and that's it.
It's really easy if you stick to the fruit and vegetable shop for everything,I get nearly everything from there including pasta,bread etc.Avoid supermarket which has thousands of "foods" that didn't exist 100 years ago.
I believe that pasta and bread qualify as processed foods.

Old 04-18-2016, 11:26 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,337,227 times
The flat bread I get is very basic with no preservatives or anything,I think processed just means packaged food.

Old 04-18-2016, 11:50 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,708,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiethegreat View Post
The flat bread I get is very basic with no preservatives or anything,I think processed just means packaged food.
I think processed just means packaged or in a can or bottle or other container. I mean, I don't think we're necessarily talking about keeping bees and making our own honey or tapping the maple trees to get the syrup, raising the chickens, killing them and plucking them, raising chickens and getting the eggs. Some people do have time and interest to do that but for the rest of us, that's just impractical.

Even those of us who grow our own vegetables don't usually grow ALL of them and we couldn't anyway due to different climates. I buy frozen vegetables especially in winter when the local vegetables aren't local and aren't that fresh. Also, for convenience in winter when you often can't get out of the house to go to a grocery store, it's smart to have some frozen on hand.

Even the water we drink is processed unless you are physically going down to a spring and taking your own containers to collect it.

But I think we're more or less talking about potatoes that come out of a box or fake Mac & cheese in a box or other foods that have been processed and are not made by hand.

Old 04-18-2016, 11:53 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times
For myself I read the labels. If there is an ingredient I don't recognize or know how to pronounce, it's processed. YMMV
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-19-2016, 03:08 PM

294 posts, read 337,459 times
I have learned this a while back when I was a college student on a budget: you just don't buy and stock processed food.

Sure it was tedious and the meal prep wasn't always ideal but once you build a list of foods and recipes, it gets easier.

I make my own whole grain dough or pasta or just use spaghetti squash. Some people are convinced that eating better is expensive but the "expensive" part is really the amount of time it takes to meal prep. I've also found brands I like that has four ingredients or less and ones that don't use high fructose corn syrup or a variation thereof.

Old 04-21-2016, 08:14 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia775 View Post
I have learned this a while back when I was a college student on a budget: you just don't buy and stock processed food.

Sure it was tedious and the meal prep wasn't always ideal but once you build a list of foods and recipes, it gets easier.

I make my own whole grain dough or pasta or just use spaghetti squash. Some people are convinced that eating better is expensive but the "expensive" part is really the amount of time it takes to meal prep. I've also found brands I like that has four ingredients or less and ones that don't use high fructose corn syrup or a variation thereof.
Interesting you would mention when you were in College: our oldest daughter is a fantastic cook, uses few pre packaged foods but lived on Kraft mac and cheese in college. When she got her monthly allowance from us she splurged and added a can of tuna.

Old 04-21-2016, 09:21 PM

2,054 posts, read 3,345,540 times
It's actually very simple to do this, but you have to study up on it and have good food stores and markets in your area. Unless you just love to eat stuff out of a box or the freezer, one can eat a diet of whole foods very easily. Going out to eat is another thing, but even then you can do it if you eat at the right places and watch the menu. What goes unsaid is that w/o motivation, lots of research, and the willingness to change decades of poor eating habits, it won't work. Just as important is to eat organic. Pesticides and other toxins in the food chain are not eliminated, they cause poisoning and disease over time by accumulation. We can buy the healthiest foods we can afford now, or pay for our poor food choices later through illness, a shorter and less healthy life, and increased health care costs. I know where I want my money to go.

Someone mentioned that juices, rice and cheese were healthy proocessed foods. Hardly. Juices are unhealthy, as they have all been heated to high temperatures in order to stay on the shelves and coolers in the grocery stores for a long time. Many have high fructose corn syrup added to them too. The only healthy juice is whole fruit that you make your juice from. Cheese, unless it's organic (which is very harmful to the cows, as are all cheeses) contain antibiotics and whatever pesticides that the cows were fed in their food, and rice is not particularly healthy because it's acidic, contains arsenic, and is highly mucus causing. Buy organic basmati if you're going to eat rice, but better yet switch to millet, wild rice, quinoa, etc. Eating just one grain as many people do is not a good idea.

Last edited by smarino; 04-21-2016 at 09:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink