Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 07:14 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Many people who own and work with horses form emotional bonds with them, like one might do with a dog or cat. Would you not be disturbed if you discovered you'd ate dog or cat meat? Medically, there might not be anything wrong with it but psychologically, many people find it immoral and I think we're perfectly entitled to feel that way.
Hey people get attacked to their rabbits and chickens,as well as pigs and cows; I am sure the horse meat someone may have eaten was not part of the family petting zoo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 07:29 AM

18,527 posts, read 18,748,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
True, but lots of people just don't want to know ...
this is exactly what my hubby said too elnina... but what if.... with say pork added to them and it makes people sick....one of my sons cant touch pork he gets so sick... things like this have to be considered too...

Old 01-17-2013, 08:08 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
The UK and the United States are in the minority in not eating horse meat. I work actively in equine rescue and have had horses of my own for over 20 years, and wouldn't eat horse meat personally, but recognize that there are people who are equally appalled at us eating beef, and I try very hard not to be an Ugly American and insist that my way is the only way.

On the other hand, labeling should be accurate and if it's the norm in your culture not to eat a particular kind of meat, putting it in something and labeling it something else is beyond the pale (and likely illegal).

Old 01-17-2013, 09:58 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,874,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Hey people get attacked to their rabbits and chickens,as well as pigs and cows; I am sure the horse meat someone may have eaten was not part of the family petting zoo.
And if you choose to forgo eating rabbits, chickens, pigs, and cows then I would not judge you but I would expect all such meat to be properly labelled as such so that you could avoid eating them, just as I would expect horse meat to be labelled such so that I can avoid it instead of being fed it without my knowledge.

Quote:
This though isnt about the love of horses etc, its not telling the public whats in the product their buying, at face value as being beef.
True but it wouldn't be such a big deal were it not for the psychology behind it. If I bought chicken that actually turned out to be pork, it wouldn't really bother me since I don't have a problem eating either of those things. The principle might concern me but I would not be disgusted and appalled.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:10 AM

414 posts, read 1,095,073 times
Even when I was in France, I didn't have any urge to try it. But I also don't have any issue with people eating it.

And slightly off-topic, but a point raised by other posts, I do take issue with people eating cats and dogs. A) In western culture they are primarily pets, and to many people including myself, they are part of the family. B) They're primarily carnivores, and I have an aversion to eating carnivorous mammals.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:34 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,496,835 times
I believe people all over the world should be allowed
to eat any and all meat like many countries do.

Horses, cows, goats, sheep, dogs, cats, fish, any sea food,
deer, bear, seal, wolf, turtle, squirrel, rabbit, snakes,
birds, rats, bugs, etc, etc, etc.

If you want it, eat it ! ! !

The government should say out of it ! ! !

Old 01-17-2013, 10:38 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,496,835 times
Mystery meet burgers anyone ...
grind up any kind of meat together ? ? ? ... .

That would not be false advertising.

Old 01-17-2013, 11:19 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,874,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpus7 View Post
I believe people all over the world should be allowed
to eat any and all meat like many countries do.

Horses, cows, goats, sheep, dogs, cats, fish, any sea food,
deer, bear, seal, wolf, turtle, squirrel, rabbit, snakes,
birds, rats, bugs, etc, etc, etc.

If you want it, eat it ! ! !

The government should say out of it ! ! !
No one is saying you can't eat horse meat, only that it should be properly labelled as such and not falsely sold as something else.

Old 01-17-2013, 12:21 PM

1,566 posts, read 2,159,288 times
I wouldn't want to know. I've had horse meat before (I thought it was a very tender steak) and while it was delicious, once I KNEW what I was eating I couldn't eat anymore. I just won't eat horse meat.

I agree that I'm not going to get all up in arms about this...but this is another reason why I prefer to eat my own home-cooked hamburgers. Of course, I'm also not in the UK.

Old 01-17-2013, 01:17 PM

121 posts, read 301,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
What's wrong with that?? Horse meat is very tasty!

i agree i eat it all the time in Paris most steak tar tar in Paris is horse meat. btw i use to have fish as a kid and use to eat fish not my pets but FISh in the monger shop. so i don't understand the emotional attachment to horse and horse meat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink