Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2014, 08:50 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,225,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
Was the flan cooked incorrectly or something? I haven't had flan in the while, but I think that I liked it back when I did have it.
Not sure, I only had it the one time. The flavor was okay, but I didn't like the consistency. There was no crust so it missed texture or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2014, 09:24 PM

6,472 posts, read 6,668,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Bleu cheese, without a doubt.
I agree! There is bad, and then there is bleu cheese bad!!

I know many, many people who love it, but it is the one food that, to my tastebuds, is absolutely beyond horrible. And if I accidentally eat even a tiny bite of something with bleu cheese in it, it leaves its horrendous taste in my mouth for a loooong time!!

Old 05-27-2014, 09:47 PM

2,061 posts, read 4,133,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
Balut (unhatched chick in shell), Pidan (century egg), Tepa ("stinkheads" fermented salmon heads), Igunaq (fermented seal meat), and Uqhuq (seal blubber).

I can normally at least choke down "weird" food (like water beetles, caterpillars, meal worms etc), even if I have to swallow it whole with a chaser... but I couldn't even get those in my mouth without gagging!

Pretty good list~ along with sea cucumber and a few other things I've seen listed~ but worst I've ever had was the soup several officers made and had us eat in SERE school~ one of the main ingredients was seagulls we got by throwing stones at them~ were just thrown (whole) into the pot, feathers and all!

Old 05-28-2014, 12:38 AM

1,320 posts, read 2,697,404 times
Velveeta "cheese". Spam, and now, turkey spam. I'm not even gonna try it. Boxed mac and cheese. Ewww! Canned asparagus is gross, but fresh is good.

I didn't like green pea soup as a child. There was something about the bones in the soup that grossed me out, plus I didn't like the flavor. I also didn't like that particular grandmother's culinary "skills" or rather lack of them.

Last edited by katnip kid; 05-28-2014 at 12:49 AM..

Old 05-28-2014, 12:39 AM

1,320 posts, read 2,697,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckdoc View Post
Pretty good list~ along with sea cucumber and a few other things I've seen listed~ but worst I've ever had was the soup several officers made and had us eat in SERE school~ one of the main ingredients was seagulls we got by throwing stones at them~ were just thrown (whole) into the pot, feathers and all!
Feathers and all? That can't be sanitary.

Old 05-28-2014, 12:52 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,861,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katnip kid View Post
Feathers and all? That can't be sanitary.
It's cooked - even mites are sanitary when cooked.

Old 05-28-2014, 03:11 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,309,991 times
When I was visiting Tokyo a Japanese business acquaintance of the American couple I was staying with took a group out to dinner. Afterwards we went to what I was told was a very exclusive establishment in Tokyo. A members-only karaoke hostess bar in the penthouse of a highrise in the Marunouchi District. My friends and I were the only Westerners in the place and the wife and I were the only females there, other than the hostesses who were playing out a Hawaiian theme that night. (I swear I'm not making this up.)

My friend, who is far braver than I, shocked her husband and me by getting up to sing with very little encouragement. She belted out the ancient Connie Francis pop song Where the Boys Are (actually very well), to a standing ovation and uproarious cheers from all the drunk Japanese businessmen in the place.

A short time later one of the hostesses approached our table bearing a bakery box. She told us, between bows, that a table of the businessmen sent her out to a nearby bakery (open at 1 a.m. ... only in Tokyo!) to get a gift they were awarding to my friend in thanks for her wonderful song. She opened the box and it appeared to contain a giant sticky bun. Our Japanese host implored us to eat it as a show of respect for the gift. We three Americans all took big bites and just as the food entered our mouths, he added enthusiastically, "It's a very popular delicacy. It's octopus cake!"

You know how you think you're taking a drink of water but it turns out to be milk or something else unexpected so you have that shock of dissonance? Add to that the thing you weren't expecting tastes TERRIBLE! I thought I was biting into something sweet, but it turned out it was a weirdly textured bread and octopus pieces (which I thought were fruit) covered in an icing-like glaze that turned out to be fish paste. And we had to pretend we liked it! I think our host caught on to our shock, so he covered for us. He said that to save face we would invite the businessmen over to our table and insist that they share the gift with us. They happily came rushing over and scarfed up every last crumb. Apparently it is a popular delicacy. We had no language in common except for Connie Francis music, so we couldn't converse with them. But we shared Japanese happy fun time with them nonetheless.

Don't do it, people! Don't ever eat octopus cake unless you know what you're getting into.

Old 05-28-2014, 02:26 PM

25,436 posts, read 9,791,579 times
Caviar! Ick!!!

Old 05-28-2014, 02:28 PM

836 posts, read 1,031,553 times
Lima beans- so dry and pasty. bleh.

Old 05-28-2014, 05:05 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,663,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sade693 View Post
Pâté. I wanted to like it so badly because my grandmother and her friends used to look so classy when they'd eat it, but YUCK! I had to scrape it off my tongue when I tried it as a kid. Tried it again a few months ago now that I'm an adult, believing that maybe it's an acquired taste like alcohol and nuts. Still completely unpleasant, and still excites my gag reflex.

Maybe I need to try it plain? The spread that I tried most recently had cognac and, I think, garlic in it. Perhaps it was the cognac combination that I didn't like.
I too have tried to like it, but just doesn't work> Funny thing, I love liverwurst. Oh, something else I just can't learn to eat is caviar. I don' think of nuts as being a taste you are acquire, but maybe it is because I was raised with many kinds of nuts in our home all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink