Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 11:25 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,937,272 times

Advertisements

Panchos..Love the buffet and the food was good..My 2 sons loved going there....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2016, 12:49 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,097,558 times
No chains.
I miss a local hole in the wall called Chicken Galore. They had very good fried chicken. It was open for decades but suddenly disappeared and was replaced by a Polish cafe.

Old 08-28-2016, 01:02 PM

23,518 posts, read 23,995,040 times
Naugles, Pioneer Chicken

Old 08-28-2016, 01:03 PM

23,518 posts, read 23,995,040 times
Good to know! Loved their steak and eggs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
Norm's is still around. I was just looking at their website today.

Old 08-28-2016, 03:21 PM

559 posts, read 1,394,600 times
York Steak House. They were in a local mall when I was a kid. They're not fully defunct, though - I know there's one left, in Columbus, Ohio.

Old 08-28-2016, 04:47 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,207,396 times
I miss a local place that went under,,

had the best whole gut battered fried clams....

one of my all time favorites!!!!

even in maine its tough to find anyone that batter fry's anymore... they mostly look like frozen mrs pauls

id pay 50.00 for some greasy batter whole gut steamer clams

Old 09-03-2016, 09:26 AM

27,182 posts, read 43,876,617 times
Definitely Morrison's Cafeteria. Amazing Fried Chicken and Baked Chicken, Salisbury Steak with mushroom gravy, Baked Mackerel (used to love it!), Fried Shrimp, Macaroni and Cheese and the best Coconut Cream Pie to name just a few. Hopefully someone will resurrect an old-fashioned cafeteria format because I think there's a lot of demand for it to return.

Old 09-03-2016, 09:30 AM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,276,315 times
I miss the old time cafeterias too. We had a Lubby's for years and years but it closed. Then a Furr's opened and only lasted 3 or 4 years until it went under too. There must not be the demand we think. I live in an area with a lot of retirees as assume Sanford has. The Furr's turned into yet another Chinese buffet. Yuck.

Old 09-06-2016, 03:26 PM

1,544 posts, read 924,289 times
Pioneer Chicken; they used to be everywhere in L.A. Saddened that my once favorite location (on Olympic & Fairfax) is now a Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf, even though there's a Starbucks around the corner.

Old 09-06-2016, 04:02 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,251,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
I would choose Chi-Chi's. I loved the food and atmosphere, it was such a fun place to go! Yes, I know the food wasn't authentic Mexican, but back then we didn't have any authentic restaurants. I especially loved the El Grande Burrito, smothered with queso.

We lived in a city that didn't have a Chi-Chi's, but there were three within an hour's drive. We would drive north, south or west to dine at Chi-Chi's. When I got my driver's license one of my first trips was to a Chi-Chi's.

Chi-Chi's is associated with so many good memories for me. When I was in college, my friends and I used to go to Chi-Chi's for special occasions. I had my first margaritas there. As broke college students we would go to Chi-Chi-s for their "buy one pitcher get one free" margarita special.

The bar at Chi-Chi's had some tables that were video games. I remember sitting at the Pac Man table, playing games and eating chips and salsa.

Later when I had kids we moved to a city that had several Chi-Chi's locations. We went there for special occasions and sometimes when we were just craving it.

How sad that Chi-Chi's closed after the largest Hepatitis A outbreak ever in the U.S. Over 650 people were sickened, and I think 4 people died.
Before I even clicked on the thread, I was going to say Chi-Chi's. I miss it so much. It has been gone from the Kansas City area since - well, I don't know how long. Maybe the 90s? There have been so many new Mexican restaurants, but none of them compare to Chi-Chi's. I was excited when I saw you can buy their salsa, etc. in the store. But it doesn't taste like Chi-Chi's salsas. I loved their seafood enchiladas and I have found "copy cat" recipes and tried them, but I haven't been able to recreate them.

A few weeks ago I ate at a local steakhouse in the building that used to house Chi-Chi's and it brought back memories of the food and the fun with friends and family.

And I hate to admit it, but I don't like authentic Mexican food. Give me Tex-Mex any day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink