Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 08:31 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,950,516 times

Advertisements

I'm not a vegetarian by any means but I never understood what some people seem to have against eating veggies. I definitely love meat but I also love eating all kinds of vegetables as well. even as a kid and teen my parents never had to tell me to finish my salad or broccoli. I always ate my veggies and would often asked for seconds. baked potato and beans (I think is a vegetable?) are probably my least favorite but for the most part I'm a big fan and always had a large appetite for leafy greens, cucumber, spinach, tomato, asparagus, cauliflower, onions, beets, you name it. especially when combined in a salad with a good dressing. how could you not like eating vegetables? I always thought there must be something wrong those who don't.

is the aversion toward vegetables that many seem to have a cultural thing unique to the US or is it a myth perpetuated by television and the media? because personally I think I know only one or two people who actively avoid eating any kind of greens. and one of them had a heart attack at age 38 and almost died. the doctor told him the lack of vegetables in his diet was one of the main causes. I think he didn't like eating fruit either which makes it even more bizarre because I love fruit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2013, 08:35 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,279,445 times
I know a couple of teen boys who, despite their mother's efforts over the years, view anything green and leafy as the deadliest poison. Who knows why? I was one of those kids who would try anything, and loved most veggies. The ones I didn't like then, I mostly still don't care for, but will eat if presented to me when I am not at home. Those are raw green peppers, peas, lima beans, and red beans. I did not like mushrooms as a child, but I like them as an adult. Even now, I will still occasionally try things that I historically haven't liked, just to see if my taste has changed.

That said, I still don't like the veggies listed above.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:41 PM

always loved mushrooms, I could eat them all day long. they go good with almost anything. I always cook them with my steak and put them in my salad. same with bell peppers mmm.

Old 01-18-2013, 09:19 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,983,832 times
Bad parenting. Next question?

Old 01-18-2013, 09:23 PM

on the flip side, I don't understand how some people can be vegetarian and not eat any meat at all. I don't know what's stranger? as much as I love my salads, I would probably starve to death if I didn't eat any meat for more than a couple days.

Old 01-18-2013, 09:30 PM

607 posts, read 1,393,127 times
I am one of those adults who dislikes eating vegetables. I get no enjoyment whatsoever out of eating vegetables. The taste of them just doesn't appeal to me. And I was raised on eating vegetables. However, I do eat vegetables because they are good for me. I just have to force myself to eat them. Now fruits are a different story. I love fruit and eat it every day.

Old 01-18-2013, 11:34 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
My husband hates to eat vegetables.

He gets his vegetables hidden in other foods...pureed carrots in spaghetti sauce, onion grated into cheeseburgers, etc. He will eat almost any fruit if it's baked into a muffin or empanada. The only vegetables he will eat willingly are sweet potatoes or pumpkin pie. His mom used to force him to eat vegetables. She'd get on a big veggie kick and force him to eat a whole plate of one kind of raw vegetable at a time.

Old 01-19-2013, 02:42 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
my favorite meal growing up was steak and french fries...all my family pushed hard,,,for me to eat veggies, I just didnt like the taste- I would hold my nose while eating them if i had to..

particularly, squash, turnip, peas

it wasnt the test of wills that made me dislike veggies, I didnt like the flavor, thought they was gross..most of them,,, tho I did eat potatos and raw carrots

and with gravy, I could almost tolerate some more veggies

as an adult,,,i do eat them,,,still just dont like the flavor of most...

Old 01-19-2013, 02:55 AM

4,534 posts, read 4,927,812 times
It's because the vast majority of people are simply terrible at cooking them. It's so easy to overcook veggies, 1 minute too long and they can become too mush and turn grey. Many people don't even have many recipes for veggies, all they know how to do is either saute them or steam them. Veggies, in fact can be harder to prepare well than meats. It's worth spending the time to look up and read cookbooks on how to properly prepare veggies and for ideas on recipes. Amateur mistakes that make veggies bad--not cutting them up into even pieces so that they cook all at the same rate, not brining them, or not blaching them to remove bitterness in some veggies.

Old 01-19-2013, 03:01 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Because someone gave them crap food (which is addictive and hits the taste buds in all the right places) and that has ruined their palate for fresh, healthy food like veggies.

I don't know anyone who doesn't like veggies who never was exposed to bad food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink