Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 05:08 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Oh, cake batter is a different story. I love that stuff.
[devil's advocate]
How is cake batter a different story from cookie dough, as far as safety is concerned? Both are uncooked, and contain eggs and flour (which I had no idea was evil! ).
[/devil's advocate]

For the record, I like both.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:15 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizita View Post
It's not an American thing. Although I can't say for sure I would bet that eating a bit of cookie dough or licking the batter bowl when baking is done in most countries, at least Western countries. In Sweden a lot of people will eat ginger bread dough during the Christmas season when you can buy the dough in the store. A bit of shortbread dough is really good too. I absolutely love pound cake batter. When I was a kid I used to make pound cake just so I could eat some of the batter. I think kids all over will lick the bowl or sneak some dough when their mothers are baking.

Raw cookie dough isn't really eaten as a snack in the US as TV and movies would lead us to believe. Although cookie dough is sold in the stores here it's not sold as a snack but is meant to be baked and made into cookies.
This is what i'm talking about. I'm not talking about licking the bowl when making cookies. I just heard people eating raw cookie dough as a snack on the net or TV or somewhere and got curious. Also saw it in ice cream and have had cookie dough pieces covered in chocolate imported from America in the snack food section si curious how common this was.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:17 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,715,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
This is what i'm talking about. I'm not talking about licking the bowl when making cookies. I just heard people eating raw cookie dough as a snack on the net or TV or somewhere and got curious. Also saw it in ice cream and have had cookie dough pieces covered in chocolate imported from America in the snack food section si curious how common this was.
I buy pre-made tollhouse cookie dough and break off pieces and eat it. My niece and nephew also love it. I love cookie dough ice cream.

I haven't polled every American of course, but it is done. /shrug

Old 01-24-2013, 08:49 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,443,357 times
Highly doubtful eating cookie dough is anything claimed by a specific country and there is definitely no stereotypical woman who eats cookie dough.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:12 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,564,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExerciseVidiot View Post
I've never eaten raw cookie dough and I don't know anyone who eats it.
me neither, this is a terrible idea and bad for you. Dough rises! If you're going to do this to yourself, please don't think of doing this to your pets.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:17 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times
It depends on the flavor of the cookie being baked. I'm helped myself to the dough a time or two ... or three.

There's a cross-referenced thread about why NOT to do it. Thus, I won't be doing it anymore.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:23 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,274,779 times
I used to eat raw chocolate chip cookie dough when I was a kid.

It was awesome.

I rarely eat it as an adult, and more worried about eating the raw egg than anything else.

I don't think I've ever gotten sick from that either.

Old 01-25-2013, 04:15 AM

61,715 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
Highly doubtful eating cookie dough is anything claimed by a specific country and there is definitely no stereotypical woman who eats cookie dough.

I agree. I saw it pretty much everywhere where cakes or cookies were backed.
I mean... no one is making a cookie dough for a purpose to eat it raw, but most people will lick the spoon or even scrap the dough bowl ( we are talking about a couple of tea spoons, not a cupful ) , and I really never heard about anyone getting sick from that.
Most people will sample raw ground meat when seasoning it for hamburgers too...

Old 01-25-2013, 06:00 AM

20,936 posts, read 28,426,121 times
I have eaten so may raw foods in my life and I am still here to talkm about it. Now I want raw cookie dough LOL, I love raw vanilla cake batter too like duncan hines.

Old 01-25-2013, 07:15 AM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
me neither, this is a terrible idea and bad for you. Dough rises! If you're going to do this to yourself, please don't think of doing this to your pets.
Cookies have either baking powder or baking soda as a rising agent. I highly doubt you're going to blow up like a balloon and sail off into the next county if you eat a half teaspoon of cookie dough.

Yeast dough is pretty good raw as well, now that I think about it ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink