Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 08:54 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,186,713 times

Advertisements

There's a difference in color between belly lox and Nova, too. Belly lox is usually much paler in hue.

Oh, gee. I made a rhyme! Oy!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 08:56 PM

18,837 posts, read 37,234,968 times
I don't know, but nothing beats fresh smoked salmon from Pike's Market. I once bought a bunch, to take home on the plane for my family in Vegas....and it never made it. I did not tell them. I just kept breaking off a "little piece". That particular salmon was cured with brown sugar. Melt in mouth...it was "smoked salmon candy".

Old 01-29-2013, 09:04 PM

860 posts, read 2,047,400 times
Wild Sockeye salmon have a bright orange/red flesh and make a beautiful smoked product. Most Alaskan's, however, prefer King and Coho for the rich flavor although the flesh is a paler pink. Occasionally a treasured white King will bite, the oiliest, richest and best smoked salmon of all.
Of course if you're looking at farmed salmon, that's all red die #3

Old 01-30-2013, 11:55 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,300,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammasCabin View Post
Of course if you're looking at farmed salmon, that's all red die #3
Not true. That's an urban myth. Different species of salmon are naturally different colors, and what they eat affects the color more. Farmed salmon are NOT dyed.

http://salmonfacts.blogspot.com/2009...o-dye-job.html

Lox is not a breed of fish, it's a method of preparation that does not cook the salmon.

First the raw fish is cut into convenient sized pieces that are heavily dry salted (salt sugar mix), typically for 12 hours or more. This draws water out of the flesh and makes it denser. The goal is to make the fish very easy to slice extremely thin.

Then the fish is brined in a heavy salt solution for 12 - 24 hours.

Then the fish is freshened in running water for maybe an a hour and a half to remove most of the salt.

The fish is dried and repeatedly coated with a sugar based solution until it forms a skin over the meat, that helps keep it moist. Each smoker has their own recipe. After 4 or 5 hours of this the fish is placed in a cool smoker... never over 85 F... for a half hour to an hour.

In other words, it is a very lightly cold smoked salt-cured fish, which a skilled cutter can slice thin enough that you can read a newspaper through it.

Ironically, when you order "bagel with cream cheese and lox" at most restaurants, you don't get real lox. Instead you typically get smoked salmon, a different product. It's less labor intensive to produce, and consequently less expensive in general. It's typically a salt cure, followed by a long smoke (a day or two) in a smoker under 99 F.

Last edited by OpenD; 01-31-2013 at 12:27 AM..

Old 01-31-2013, 08:02 AM

16,226 posts, read 27,306,956 times
While farm raised salmon isn't dyed per se, their feed is - this is a quote from the cited link above:

In salmon aquaculture, the industry endeavors to mimic the diet that salmon would normally get in the wild, so it supplements salmon feed with a synthetic replacement. It's called astaxanthin, and chemically, it's identical to the pigment that salmon get in the wild. Biologically, it's processed and absorbed by wild and farmed fish in exactly the same manner, though some species retain more color than others.

Here's another link describing the industry's practice of enhancing color of farm raised salmon.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...-pink-you.html

Old 01-31-2013, 01:29 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,731,749 times
There is also hot smoked and cold smoked salmon. The hot smoked looks more like a cooked fish. Firmer and flakier. The cold smoked looks more like raw.

Old 01-31-2013, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
While farm raised salmon isn't dyed per se, their feed is - this is a quote from the cited link above:

In salmon aquaculture, the industry endeavors to mimic the diet that salmon would normally get in the wild, so it supplements salmon feed with a synthetic replacement. It's called astaxanthin, and chemically, it's identical to the pigment that salmon get in the wild. Biologically, it's processed and absorbed by wild and farmed fish in exactly the same manner, though some species retain more color than others.
No, that isn't the same as dying. It's just duplicating what wild fish eat. If wild salmon didn't get that ingredient in their food supply, they would not be pink either.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:25 PM

16,226 posts, read 27,306,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
No, that isn't the same as dying. It's just duplicating what wild fish eat. If wild salmon didn't get that ingredient in their food supply, they would not be pink either.
You do understand the difference between synthetic and natural, right? Try a synthetic fiber against your skin in a Georgia summer afternoon, and then try a natural fiber garment.

Wild salmon don't get synthetic replacements in their diet - only the farm raised ones do. And the reason? Because the diet of wild salmon consists of natural ingredients, not feed pellets. The farm raised salmon, were it not for the Pantone scale synthetic additives, would be a delectable grey color.

That's not what I would qualify as 'duplicating' - I wouldn't even call it a 'reasonable facsimile'. Lets not sugar coat farm raised salmon - pun definitely intended.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
You do understand the difference between synthetic and natural, right? Try a synthetic fiber against your skin in a Georgia summer afternoon, and then try a natural fiber garment.
It's not a valid metaphor. A chemical is a chemical, and reactions involving that chemical are the same no matter how it was produced, or from what source it came.

I have no problem with people making whatever choice they wish to make for themselves. If you don't like farmed salmon, don't buy it. But there is nothing wrong with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink