Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 07:34 PM

1,238 posts, read 4,471,232 times

Advertisements

Can anyone explain to me why some smoked salmon is soft and pliable, and almost unbelievably pink colored, while others are flaky and look more like real fish colors? Is it a different smoking process, or added preservatives or something else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 07:52 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firebll31 View Post
Can anyone explain to me why some smoked salmon is soft and pliable, and almost unbelievably pink colored, while others are flaky and look more like real fish colors? Is it a different smoking process, or added preservatives or something else?
Could be any or all of the above -- plus: different species, longer drying time, more/less smoke, type of wood used and probably other variables that aren't occurring to me.

Old 01-27-2013, 08:05 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
Some of this salmon is not smoked but rather cured in various combinations of sugar, salt, and spices. There are also cold smoking and hot smoking methods which give very different results.

This is not a simple topic.

Smoked fish - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Gravlax - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Many foods including fish are cooked without heat by brining and other methods so you're not eating raw fish. If you wish to do this on your own it can be both fun and a very economical way to make some great dishes. Look around for recipes that you believe you can handle.

Old 01-27-2013, 09:15 PM

1,238 posts, read 4,471,232 times
Thanks for your help! I believe I found my answer-it's the difference between smoked salmon and lox. Lox is the bright, soft fish I was looking for.

Old 01-28-2013, 04:47 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firebll31 View Post
Thanks for your help! I believe I found my answer-it's the difference between smoked salmon and lox. Lox is the bright, soft fish I was looking for.
I was going to say this, but you found it. Ofen you will see Lox referred to as smoked salmon, to me thery are two different things: Smoked is just that, dried salmon that has been smoked, both are really yummy but still not the same.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:53 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Lox is brined AND smoked. It's both. Lox is a yiddish word which means - salmon. What you might know of as Nova Scotia lox, or Novia Scotia smoked salmon, IS what people who eat lox, refer to as lox. There is -another- variety of lox, called belly lox, which comes from salmon that isn't from Novia Scotia, and is more deeply brined prior to smoking, and is therefore much more salty. It's still lox, and it's still smoked salmon. It's both.

Not all smoked salmon is lox. However, all lox is smoked salmon. Lox refers to two particular variations of smoked salmon, one of which is commonly known as Nova Scotia smoked salmon. Nova is what most people eat, when they order lox and bagels, anywhere other than at a Jewish deli. It's also what they eat, when they order smoked salmon and bagels, anywhere other than a Jewish Deli. The two terms are interchangeable, in most cases. At many traditional Jewish delis, you will get your choice of belly or Nova.

(I always prefer the belly lox).

Old 01-28-2013, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Lox is brined AND smoked. It's both. Lox is a yiddish word which means - salmon. What you might know of as Nova Scotia lox, or Novia Scotia smoked salmon, IS what people who eat lox, refer to as lox. There is -another- variety of lox, called belly lox, which comes from salmon that isn't from Novia Scotia, and is more deeply brined prior to smoking, and is therefore much more salty. It's still lox, and it's still smoked salmon. It's both.

Not all smoked salmon is lox. However, all lox is smoked salmon. Lox refers to two particular variations of smoked salmon, one of which is commonly known as Nova Scotia smoked salmon. Nova is what most people eat, when they order lox and bagels, anywhere other than at a Jewish deli. It's also what they eat, when they order smoked salmon and bagels, anywhere other than a Jewish Deli. The two terms are interchangeable, in most cases. At many traditional Jewish delis, you will get your choice of belly or Nova.

(I always prefer the belly lox).
Thanks, this explains it beautifully and I doubt most of us knew the true meaning and reason for the confusion. I know I didn't. Thanks again,

Nita

Old 01-28-2013, 03:05 PM

Location: A Very Naughtytown In Northwestern Montanifornia U.S.A.
1,088 posts, read 1,947,610 times
If it looks really red it is due to the red dye they often use.

Old 01-29-2013, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontLookPhoto View Post
If it looks really red it is due to the red dye they often use.
or some salmon is red even without the die.

Old 01-29-2013, 07:07 PM

Location: A Very Naughtytown In Northwestern Montanifornia U.S.A.
1,088 posts, read 1,947,610 times
I know that some salmon have very red flesh but red dye is used sometimes to make it look red or more red.
I should know I lived for ten years at Salmon Beach in Tacoma Washington where I could catch Salmon off my front porch. I used to smoke salmon all the time and once caught a sockeye salmon on my lure skipping right next to my outboard motor with my boat on a high speed plane. I was on my way home and didn't even know my lure was in the water. I discovered the fish on my line when I got my boat landed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink